Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Life lessons from Star Trek.

10 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I went to a Trek convention in Portland, Maine and while walking through the rooms with stuff for sale, who should be rubbing shoulders and walking through the crowd bigger than life was John de Lancie like it was nothing.  I was nuts about Q at the time and my tongue was hanging out. It was so cool.  He is a very gracious man.  Very friendly.

In the documentary Trekkies (1997) , there's a moment where the cast is asked their strangest fan moment at the conventions:  John DeLancie mentioned one rather earnest fan who asked "Are you Q?", and when he said yes, "Can you bring people back from the dead?"
Stuck for a response, DeLancie answered, perfectly in character, "Well, only people I like..."  That appeared to satisfy the fan, who moved on.

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok, but that particular episode of TNG is one of the show's worst ever, so it's a bit unfair to cite it. It was definitely not a typical episode.  (It was a mess.)  I have not seen "Spock's Brain" , so am not in a position to compare it with "Genesis".   Maybe we can agree that both Star Trek series had their share of rubbish moments.

If you hear a fan say "'Brain' and 'brain', what is 'brain'?", you have been duly warned.

As for Geneses, by that point, seemed like every single TNG cast member was offered their own really-want-to-direct episode gig to keep them on all the way to the end of the series--Some, like Jonathan Fraker, LeVar Burton and "Voyager"'s Roxanne Dawson, worked out nicely; others, like Gates "Dr. Crusher" McFadden, the template for every snarky disgruntled female cast member after Denise Crosby....nnnnot so much.   😑

10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Spock's Brain, widely considered the worst TOS episode.

Oh, not nearly.

Now that is throwing down the gauntlet.  If you're not going for the cheap  low-hanging-Shatner-joke "Turnabout Intruder" pick, then consider my curiosity peaked.

And "The Cage" pilot doesn't count.

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Actually this isn't the particular Holodeck scene I was looking for.

These aren't the droids we're looking for.

Oops - wrong franchise.

• Like 1

Personally liked Jeffrey Hunter's Pike.  Most of the third season of Star Trek wasn't that good.  Some of the episodes were almost unwatchable.  I didn't mind Spock's Brain (liked Marj Dusay - sorry she is no longer with us).  Unfortunately, Star Trek and other shows like Bewitched or Lost in Space tried too hard to be "groovy" during the late 1960's or early 70's.  Didn't work for me.

I hope someone starts another thread about Lessons Learned:

Suggestions:  Older Series - Bewitched, original Columbo, I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Dream of Jeannie, The Bob Newhart show or MTM Show

Newer:  Law and Order (original one), Mad Men (always though Don Draper and his first wife were a twist on original Darrin and Samantha), CSI, NCIS, Blue Bloods

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

In the documentary Trekkies (1997) , there's a moment where the cast is asked their strangest fan moment at the conventions:  John DeLancie mentioned one rather earnest fan who asked "Are you Q?", and when he said yes, "Can you bring people back from the dead?"
Stuck for a response, DeLancie answered, perfectly in character, "Well, only people I like..."  That appeared to satisfy the fan, who moved on.

OMG, Jim. I was in a question/answer thing with de Lancie when somebody had the unmitigated gall to ask him what it was like to lie beside Patrick Stewart in bed.  You know, there's a time and place for everything and this wasn't it.  de Lancie, ever the professional, brushed off the question and moved to something else.  He  answered that it was a scene in the script and that was that. 

15 hours ago, SadPanda said:

The Borg episodes are absolute fan favorites. The Borg are so relentless and unreachable. Every time a Borg episode occurred you knew it would be a supremely perilous one and would have you on the edge of your seat. I loved Borg episodes. They had a great creepiness vibe to them as well - remember the baby Borgs, all hooked up?

But my very favorite episodes are the ones that are mega-mysterious - the deliciously eerie ones. The ones that produce shivers.

The most memorable of these for me are Identity Crisis and Schisms.

Do you have a favorite "type" of episode?

I think they're all great. The movies are good too.  I went to a convention, well several.  Michael Dorn was sitting alone at a table, signing autographs. I didn't recognize him at first without the Klingon make up. Wow!  Was he handsome! And what a voice. Another gracious man, very friendly and outgoing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have you kids seen Galaxy Quest?  Patrick Stewart saw it and called Shatner immediately afterwards and said, "You have got to see this thing!" 

1 hour ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Personally liked Jeffrey Hunter's Pike.  Most of the third season of Star Trek wasn't that good.  Some of the episodes were almost unwatchable.  I didn't mind Spock's Brain (liked Marj Dusay - sorry she is no longer with us).  Unfortunately, Star Trek and other shows like Bewitched or Lost in Space tried too hard to be "groovy" during the late 1960's or early 70's.  Didn't work for me.

I hope someone starts another thread about Lessons Learned:

Suggestions:  Older Series - Bewitched, original Columbo, I Love Lucy, The Dick Van Dyke Show, I Dream of Jeannie, The Bob Newhart show or MTM Show

Newer:  Law and Order (original one), Mad Men (always though Don Draper and his first wife were a twist on original Darrin and Samantha), CSI, NCIS, Blue Bloods

Go ahead. Start a topic about Columbo. I'm all over that action.  I love Peter Falk.

27 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Have you kids seen Galaxy Quest?  Patrick Stewart saw it and called Shatner immediately afterwards and said, "You have got to see this thing!" 

Movie ruled out intelligent life out there because the Thermians thought that sci-fi cast were for real.

22 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

I went to a Trek convention in Portland, Maine and while walking through the rooms with stuff for sale, who should be rubbing shoulders and walking through the crowd bigger than life was John de Lancie like it was nothing.  I was nuts about Q at the time and my tongue was hanging out. It was so cool.  He is a very gracious man.  Very friendly.

That's why the producers of "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" cast John de Lancie as a doctor, they liked his bedside personality. ;)

960full-the-hand-that-rocks-the-cradle-s

7 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Unfortunately, Star Trek and other shows like Bewitched or Lost in Space tried too hard to be "groovy" during the late 1960's or early 70's.  Didn't work for me.

You're probably talking about the obligatory "Those hippies!" episode that all 60's TV shows had to do at some point, like "The Way to Eden" (Herbert, Herbert!), the Milton Berle "Lilac Louie" episodes of Batman, the hippie-space-station episode of Lost in Space, the Bewitched episode with cousin Alonzo, or the Mission: Impossible episode where Leonard Nimoy plays the long-lost dictator's son and everyone sings "The Times Are A-Changing."

Me, I usually pick the I Dream of Jeannie episode, since it's the closest to the Star Trek episode as the genre template for the majority of mainstream Establishment-fear episodes:  Tony has to babysit the general's niece, who seems like a nice swingin' teen, until she turns out to have hippie friends.  Being Those Hippies, of course, they immediately descend on Maj. Nelson's house like locusts for a swingin' freakout, while Tony, like Kirk,  rages in frustration at his inability to get them out of his house, and Jeannie--as, like Spock, the symbol of a more open-minded generation-- is curious and amused at such happy, free-thinking creative folk.

The Monkees, of course, were hippies, so they don't count, and 60's Dragnet was in response to the hippies, so non-hippie episodes were rare.   And the ones that crashed in the Munsters' house, causing Herman to try poetry, were beatniks, so they don't either.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hamradio said:

That's why the producers of "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" cast John de Lancie as a doctor, they liked his bedside personality. ;)

960full-the-hand-that-rocks-the-cradle-s

If John de lancie asked me to put my tootsies into stirrups...

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

If John de lancie asked me to put my tootsies into stirrups...

But would you then have his licence taken away like the fitch in that movie did?

14 hours ago, EricJ said:

Actually,  as I recall,  not even Q could bring back the dead.  That fan was confused.  (Well, possibly in "Hide and Q", those Napoleonic soldier beasts were pretty violent...) 

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Actually,  as I recall,  not even Q could bring back the dead.  That fan was confused.  (Well, possibly in "Hide and Q", those Napoleonic soldier beasts were pretty violent...) 

Well the Q can die, reference a TNG episode where a husband and wife that died when a tornado  got past the Earth's weather modification system because they refuse to join the Q Continuum and the Q Civil War (episode "The Q and The Grey") where one said about the humans What can they do?  The female Q replied...They're holding OUR weapons.

MV5BYjU1NDM1ZjctZDgwMi00MDU1LWFlNTctMzQ3

Oh, lesson learned from that one, Q sex is boring as hell.

340?cb=20050807065346&path-prefix=en

5 hours ago, slaytonf said:

What have I started?

You tried to post some low-hanging pop-culture Trek-bashing gags, and didn't realize that would let loose the lore of the Cultured Classic-TV Rerun Geeks...

...Silly boy. 😜