• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Life lessons from Star Trek.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:55 AM, TikiSoo said:

tumblr_meyarmGPuh1qh9fzxo2_250.gif

Thank goodness we've eradicated that practice

No no no.

You misinterpreted.  Kirk had asked Spock to do it.  The woman reached before Spock could react.

So if this went to HR the captain would be found blameless.  He asked the male to do it, not the woman.  (And verified by security cam.)  

BTW Star Trek season 1 is the only thing I have on Bluray because it was the best one.  It had around 30 episodes!  Today we only get 15 per season.  

Season 1 was written by actual science fiction authors from the literary world.   Season 2 was okay but not worth buying.  (Season 3 was just bad.)

3 hours ago, Davehat said:

No no no.

You misinterpreted.  Kirk had asked Spock to do it.  The woman reached before Spock could react.

So if this went to HR the captain would be found blameless.  He asked the male to do it, not the woman.  (And verified by security cam.)  

BTW Star Trek season 1 is the only thing I have on Bluray because it was the best one.  It had around 30 episodes!  Today we only get 15 per season.  

Season 1 was written by actual science fiction authors from the literary world.   Season 2 was okay but not worth buying.  (Season 3 was just bad.)

For me, and I haven't done it yet, I need to get TOS on Bluray just because it has both the new CGI-restored version (as does the DVD), but more importantly it also has the UNRESTORED version where you can see some of the prop wires, gaff tape, and other implements that earlier TV couldn't clearly show.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Davehat said:

No no no. You misinterpreted.  Kirk had asked Spock to do it.  The woman reached before Spock could react.

It doesn't matter who is asked to massage the Captain - man, woman, Vulcan, alien-it's still bad form/a violation of rights by 2020 workplace standards. One time the show got it WRONG.

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

UNRESTORED version where you can see some of the prop wires, gaff tape, and other implements

I love the creativity-on-a-budget props & effects in that era of TV. The Star Trek Studio Tour was charming to realize just how simple some of the props/effects were made:  the "floppy disks" were painted wooden slabs, the back wall of the transporter room was made from moire drum panels, the spots on the floor were Mole Richardson lights with glass thick enough to hold a man in a big costume-

Highres_Screenshot_00058.bmp

IMG_6287_480x480.JPG?v=1529526542

s-l300.jpg

"Futuristic" spray bottles (just introduced in the '65 World's Fair) were prominently displayed in McCoy's lab. Many of the props were just found objects in storage, old RKO  leftovers. A statue in Captain Kirk's personal quarters can also be seen in Citizen Kane and the original is on the Trekonderoga set.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

It doesn't matter who is asked to massage the Captain - man, woman, Vulcan, alien-it's still bad form/a violation of rights by 2020 workplace standards. One time the show got it WRONG.

I love the creativity-on-a-budget props & effects in that era of TV. The Star Trek Studio Tour was charming to realize just how simple some of the props/effects were made:  the "floppy disks" were painted wooden slabs, the back wall of the transporter room was made from moire drum panels, the "spots" were Mole Richardson lights with glass heavy enough to hold a man in a big costume-

Highres_Screenshot_00058.bmp

IMG_6287_480x480.JPG?v=1529526542

s-l300.jpg

"Futuristic" spray bottles (just introduced in the '65 World's Fair) were prominently displayed in McCoy's lab. Many of the props were just found objects in storage, old RKO  leftovers. A statue in Captain Kirk's personal quarters can also be seen in Citizen Kane and the original is on the Trekonderoga set.

We definitely have some overlap in our interests.  In my corner it would be vintage stage and production equipment.  I have in fact noticed those very lights on Ebay before.  There is nothing like those, I have contemplated getting a couple myself, in addition to an RCA BX-44 and some other cool things like that.  But there is one problem...back in the 1960s, as you point out, this stuff was just old leftovers.  Now it is collectors items.  I have looked at the prices of these over the last 20 years or so, and they have only gone up.  Same exact thing goes for the gigantic old Goldberg film projection reels, except that was a more recent thing.  Should have purchased that stuff back then, but who would have known.

On 8/4/2020 at 6:47 AM, TikiSoo said:

William Shatner has a decent body of work, but it will always be eclipsed by his role as Captain Kirk- a job he had five decades ago.

Most actors in successful programs and/or movies fear being typecast. I believe it is due only to the cult which built up around this series which allowed him to carry on the role in a virtual way which brought him paying gigs even outside the movies. 

Maybe, say, since the first movie, but can you really say that about the years before?  As I remember the first movie was a big risk, and took Gene Roddenberry ages to get made.  Nobody was sure how it would be received.  As you know, it was a smash.  Sure, til then there was a cult of ST adherents, me among'um.  But it was a true cult, i. e., restricted to a narrow following.  Can his roles in the likes of Barbary Coast and a plethora of other TV work be attributed to that?

More life lessons to follow.

For all its glaring plot holes, the writing in 'Miri' plays well so that you almost don't notice them.  The Enterprise comes to a planet where there are only children.  One of them falls into their hands, a pubescent girl, and she becomes a camp-follower.  Kirk flatters her and gets kinda romancey in order to get her to open up about what's going on.  The predictable result ensues.  Everyone else can see she's gaga over him, while he, space's final frontiersman, feigns ignorance of it.  Not likely.   When she feels betrayed, she complicates matters acting out of bitterness. 

The obvious place to look for life lessons is in the dangers of playing on people's emotions to get what you want from them.  It may work alright for a while, but if people catch on to your being a phony, it's a bad look-out.  But there's nothing special in that kind of revelation.  Sorta common knowledge.

But for me, what's important is the disappointing blot on Kirk's character coming from his behavior.  For all the ways Kirk has acted, peremptory, dictatory, disobediently, reluctantly, he never acted discreditably elsewhere.  He did things to people, for them, with them.  He cajoled, reasoned, appealed, and coerced people.  But he never used them, played on their affections, like he did the young woman here.  Aw gee, he shouldn'a oughtta dunnit.  

Guess heroes aren't all heroic.

The episode is also notable for having one of Kirk's worst lines:

I wonder if he cringed inside sayin' 'em.

• Haha 1
On 8/5/2020 at 3:43 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

In my corner it would be vintage stage and production equipment.  I have in fact noticed those very lights on Ebay before.   Now it is collectors items.  I have looked at the prices of these over the last 20 years or so, and they have only gone up.  Should have purchased that stuff back then, but who would have known.

The ONLY reason I have M/R baby spots is because I was an agent selling for someone who found a bonanza of old film equipment in Canada (buyers prefer US address 🙄) when he brought in those babies, I accepted them as commission. I did pass on one at a garage sale for $15, next time I'll pick it up for you.

The actual film camera (giant) went to Asia and the blimp for it went to Australia. The Steenbeck went to LasVegas to Mr Steenbeck's descendant-all big heavy stuff no one would want.

I kept lots of 35mm film rolls, rusty cans & reels that were being thrown out if you want any. They make great art components for lamps or just general decorations. I use 16mm reels at the baseboard as "cable/cord wranglers" between my TV & AV system.

• Like 1