Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
josette

Robert Mitchum Films I Hope to See on TCM

As a serious Robert Mitchum fan, I would like to thank TCM for showing some of the rarely seen films he made.  I hope to someday see "Pursued" which is one of his best and most acclaimed westerns.  I also would like to see "Mr. Moses" which is a fun movie rarely shown anywhere.  Lastly, I would like to see the extremely rare "Beyond the Last Frontier".  I hope other Mitchum fans join me in these requests.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, josette said:

As a serious Robert Mitchum fan, I would like to thank TCM for showing some of the rarely seen films he made.  I hope to someday see "Pursued" which is one of his best and most acclaimed westerns.  I also would like to see "Mr. Moses" which is a fun movie rarely shown anywhere.  Lastly, I would like to see the extremely rare "Beyond the Last Frontier".  I hope other Mitchum fans join me in these requests.

Pursued is a fine film with fine costars in Teresa Wright,   Dean Jagger,  and Judith Anderson.    Some call this a noir-western due to the theme involved.    Since the studio was Warner Bros.   TCM should have easy access to the film.

I have also seen Beyond the Last Frontier a very early Mitchum film.   His role isn't that big but he has a cool character name:  Trigger Dolan.   The film also has Smiley Burnette who I find funny.

Haven't seen Mr. Moses.  

Beyond the Last Frontier FilmPoster.jpeg

The Friends of Eddie Coyle and A Killer in the Family would be nice.

But A Killer in the Family was a movie-of-the-week so probably not much chance.

• Like 1

I would love to see anything with Robert Mitchum, he's always been one of my favorites.

Don't think I've seen PURSUED or BEYOND THE LAST FRONTIER, but would very much like to one day.

I don't think TCM has shown Blood on the Moon in quite some time either.

(...one of my favorite Mitchum westerns)

Essential Mitchum;

1947 Out of the Past

OmSdYcaKK6sKzQezJjYRZI04kyuecOFc5KxG4CMO

1955 Night of the Hunter

maxresdefault.jpg

1960 The Sundowners

The+Sundowners+1.jpg

1962 Cape Fear

Gregory-Peck-Cape-Fear-Robert-Mitchum-J.

1973 The Friends of Eddie Coyle

main.jpg

1975 Farewell My Lovely

primary_EB19750617PEOPLE506170301AR.jpg

1983 A Killer in the Family (MTV)

MV5BNjQzNmQ0MjAtNWE1ZS00NTk1LWE4MzgtZDdh

Honourable Mention:

Pursued

Crossfire

The Big Steal

His Kind of Woman

The Lusty Men

Heaven Knows Mr. Allison

Home From The Hill

El Dorado

The Yakuza

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Essential Mitchum;

1947 Out of the Past

OmSdYcaKK6sKzQezJjYRZI04kyuecOFc5KxG4CMO

1955 Night of the Hunter

maxresdefault.jpg

1960 The Sundowners

The+Sundowners+1.jpg

1962 Cape Fear

Gregory-Peck-Cape-Fear-Robert-Mitchum-J.

1973 The Friends of Eddie Coyle

main.jpg

1975 Farewell My Lovely

primary_EB19750617PEOPLE506170301AR.jpg

1983 A Killer in the Family (MTV)

MV5BNjQzNmQ0MjAtNWE1ZS00NTk1LWE4MzgtZDdh

Honourable Mention:

Pursued

Crossfire

The Big Steal

His Kind of Woman

The Lusty Men

Heaven Knows Mr. Allison

Home From The Hill

El Dorado

The Yakuza

Can't argue with any of these choices, they are all classics in my book.

I personally prefer The Big Steal (favorite movie), His Kind of Woman, Farewell My Lovely, Out of the Past, El Dorado, Cape Fear, Holiday Affair, Macao, The Enemy Below, Thunder Road (he wrote and sings title song).  One that I enjoy, but is frequently overlooked is The Wonderful Country.  So many really good movies well played.

Good call on Mr. Moses. Haven't seen that since the early 80's on an LA independent station; would love to see again. Also some kinda lost gems, IMO, that are not widely broadcast, TMK: Pursued {good call by someone on earlier post}should be available to TCM, curious it's never turned up, that I know. There is a trifecta he made in the mid-50's right after his freedom from RKO, they are : Man With A Gun, Bandido, and Foreign Intrigue, all made for UA, all indies and hard to come by, though I believe TCM has shown them all at one time or other. Fire Down Below should get more air play, too.

21 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Honourable Mention:

Heaven Knows Mr. Allison

That's one of my favorite Mitchums.

MR MOSES has been on my "want to see" list for years, my brother's recommendation.

My brother wrote to Mitchum as a teen & received an autographed 5x7 photo. His favorite film of Mitchum's is THE HUNTERS '58, most likely because he's a pilot-

The_Hunters_(1958).JPG

I bought a still from the movie to frame for my brother and when it arrived found it was AUTOGRAPHED on the back! We compared the signatures and it was authentic, but unmentioned in the auction. So I framed his "pilot" photo and he gave me his 5x7 of 70's era Mitch, which sit here in my office.

My brother's flight helmet is painted like Saville's. Apparently it's orange. 

3d738fe3-7414-494d-9354-ccaa376d89f2.jpg

(I also found, restored & framed the half sheet poster (nicer than the one pictured^^) but his wife won't let him hang it in their house!)

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

That's one of my favorite Mitchums.

Indeed, I always enjoy the Robert Mitchum/Deborah Kerr teamings, particularly HEAVEN KNOWS, MR. ALLISON and THE SUNDOWNERS.

Though I might lean a bit more toward THE SUNDOWNERS. IMO it's a crime that Kerr didn't take home an Oscar for that film or that Mitchum wasn't even nominated.

• Like 2