Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SadPanda

Why Not Blindfold?

So Rock Hudson is getting a SUTS day and once again we get one of the two 60's movies he made with Claudia Cardinale - that being 1969's A Fine Pair.

I have nothing against that movie, but TCM has run it many times already and so far as I know has never run the far better movie with these two stars - that being 1966's Blindfold.

That was a good one. My 2nd favorite Hudson movie of the 1960;s (after Seconds)

Probably because BLINDFOLD is a Universal release which they'd have to pay to lease. 

I agree it's a decent film.

11 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

So Rock Hudson is getting a SUTS day and once again we get one of the two 60's movies he made with Claudia Cardinale - that being 1969's A Fine Pair.

I have nothing against that movie, but TCM has run it many times already and so far as I know has never run the far better movie with these two stars - that being 1966's Blindfold.

That was a good one. My 2nd favorite Hudson movie of the 1960;s (after Seconds)

TCM shows few Universal films due to the fact the studio doesn't care to lease their material;   The only Universal films TCM goes out of their way to lease are their classic horror films.

Blindfold is Universal.   

TCM tends to lease mostly films from their parent company AT&T's WarnerMedia.     They own the rights to the so called Ted Turner library of films which is mostly made up of Warner Bros,  MGM and RKO films.

17 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

TCM shows few Universal films due to the fact the studio doesn't care to lease their material;   The only Universal films TCM goes out of their way to lease are their classic horror films.

Blindfold is Universal.   

TCM tends to lease mostly films from their parent company AT&T's WarnerMedia.     They own the rights to the so called Ted Turner library of films which is mostly made up of Warner Bros,  MGM and RKO films.

Darn it. I really wish they'd leased Blindfold for SUTS day. It's such a delightful movie in both stars' bodies of work.

I noticed that my favorite Rock Hudson picture, Man's Favorite Sport is not on there either.  Have it on DVD so doesn't really matter.  To be honest, Hudson has never been one of my favorites.

Did notice that Pretty Maids All In  A Row is on.  3:45 AM ET, 08/03.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Did notice that Pretty Maids All In  A Row is on.  3:45 AM ET, 08/03.

His naughty one.

Then he became McMillan.

2 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

Darn it. I really wish they'd leased Blindfold for  SUTS day. It's such a delightful movie in both stars' body of work.

I wish TCM would lease some of the Universal noir films;   Black Angel, The Dark Minor (which isn't being shown but maybe will be now that deHaviland has died?),  Phantom Layd, , Kiss the Blood of My Hands,  The Tattered Dress and Uncle Harry.

TCM does show the iconic ones like The Killers, Touch of Evil,  and A Double Life and did recently feature Ride The Pink Horse. 

Oh, well I'm been asking for this since 2000! 

1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wish TCM would lease some of the Universal noir films;   Black Angel, The Dark Minor (which isn't being shown but maybe will be now that deHaviland has died?),  Phantom Layd, , Kiss the Blood of My Hands,  The Tattered Dress and Uncle Harry.

TCM does show the iconic ones like The Killers, Touch of Evil,  and A Double Life and did recently feature Ride The Pink Horse. 

Oh, well I'm been asking for this since 2000! 

I hope the asking pays off eventually. It does sometimes.

BLINDFOLD aired on the old AMC, because I saw a bootleg copy of it and it had the AMC logo in the corner of the screen.

So Universal does lease it. It's a matter of whether or not TCM's programming department wants to use it. They tend to spend on the Day-Hudson titles from Universal.

Just now, TopBilled said:

BLINDFOLD aired on the old AMC, because I saw a bootleg copy of it and it had the AMC logo in the corner of the screen.

So Universal does lease it. It's a matter of whether or not TCM's programming department wants to use it. They tend to spend on the Day-Hudson titles from Universal.

Maybe one of the programmers will notice this thread. I think that happens sometimes.

1 minute ago, SadPanda said:

Maybe one of the programmers will notice this thread. I think that happens sometimes.

BLINDFOLD is on DVD. You can buy it on Amazon. Also, you can rent it as a streaming title on Amazon for about $4.

The Hudson flick I would have put on the schedule is HORNETS' NEST (1970). I kinda like that one. It seldom airs and it deserves an audience.

I think the reason I like it is because Hudson interacts with a cast of young guys, and it's not as formulaic as his rom-coms tend to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornets'_Nest

6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

BLINDFOLD is on DVD. You can buy it on Amazon. Also, you can rent it as a streaming title on Amazon for about $4.

TCM saves me money when they show us movies. Streaming doesn't add to my personal library. Commercial DVD's cost and my budget is very limited. I have Blindfold on my searching for list at EBay, but so far the price asked is too high for my budget. But I know I'll obtain it eventually - I'm a very, very patient collector.

Thank you for your help, TopBilled.

1 minute ago, SadPanda said:

Streaming doesn't add to my personal library.

Y'know, most generally say that as a bad thing...

2 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

TCM saves me money when they show us movies. Streaming doesn't add to my personal library. Commercial DVD's cost and my budget is very limited. I have Blindfold on my searching for list at EBay, but so far the price asked is too high for my budget. But I know I'll obtain it eventually - I'm a very, very patient collector.

Than you for your help, TopBilled.

Streaming can add to your personal library if you buy the film for streaming. 

For example a DVD of BLINDFOLD is currently $19.99 on Amazon. But if you buy the film for streaming (meaning you will always have access to watch it online), it costs $14.99 which saves you five dollars plus the hassle of having to store it and dust it off.

I stopped recording things off TCM because I got tired of having to buy blank discs and cases. Plus they were taking up too much room, like they took up an entire bedroom and walk-in closet. So I started giving them away to family members. I also got tired of having to buy a new machine every two or three years to record and play things back since my machines got quite a workout!

I started to realize that almost everything I wanted to see I could probably find on YouTube, Hulu or Starz. And I prefer streaming, since I can do it anywhere, especially when I am traveling away from home.

I have never seen TCM as the only source for classic film. And I have never expected TCM to bring me every film I want to see since I think the TCM programming department gets stuck in a rut sometimes and their themes do not always reflect things I am interested in watching.

But to each his own!

15 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Streaming can add to your personal library if you buy the film for streaming. 

For example a DVD of BLINDFOLD is currently $19.99 on Amazon. But if you buy the film for streaming (meaning you will always have access to watch it online), it costs $14.99 which saves you five dollars plus the hassle of having to store it and dust it off.

I stopped recording things off TCM because I got tired of having to buy blank discs and cases. Plus they were taking up too much room, like they took up an entire bedroom and walk-in closet. So I started giving them away to family members. I also got tired of having to buy a new machine every two or three years to record and play things back since my machines got quite a workout!

I started to realize that almost everything I wanted to see I could probably find on YouTube, Hulu or Starz. And I prefer streaming, since I can do it anywhere, especially when I am traveling away from home.

I have never seen TCM as the only source for classic film. And I have never expected TCM to bring me every film I want to see since I think the TCM programming department gets stuck in a rut sometimes and their themes do not always reflect things I am interested in watching.

But to each his own!

I'm old fashioned that way. I like to see my library all collected before my eyes. I purchase DVD-Rs (Taiyo-Yuden only) in lots of 400 and store my recorded movies in 400-disc capacity Binders.

I'm just an old fogey in some ways. I prefer hard copies (physical media) or it doesn't really feel like a collection to me.

Just now, SadPanda said:

I'm old fashioned that way. I like to see my library all collected before my eyes. I purchase DVD-Rs (Taiyo-Yuden only) in lots of 400 and store my recorded movies in 400-disc capacity Binders.

I'm just an old fogey in some ways. I prefer hard copies or it doesn't really feel like a collection.

I used to be that way too. I had reached a point where I had 1300 VHS tapes of things I recorded. Plus about 700 discs of things I recorded.

But I was moving nearly every year and having to ship all those boxes all the time. The funny thing is that I just reached four years in this home, so maybe I got the moving bug out of my system! 

Anyway, it felt silly to keep holding on to stuff just so I could have a collection to look at. It felt liberating to just get rid of most of it and transition to streaming.

Don't get me wrong I still have some things on disc, like very rare stuff that is not available for streaming.

One of our lovely posters Janet, who has since passed away, used to have her husband send me copies of things she had bought in Europe that you can't find here in North America. So I keep that stuff, but everything else, if it's online, then I don't need a disc or VHS tape of it. 

7 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

I'm just an old fogey in some ways. I prefer hard copies (physical media) or it doesn't really feel like a collection to me.

The trouble with "buying" a title from a streaming service, or using a cloud DVR or other technology to record material on media that you don't physically own is that you are beholden to the technology owner and the owner of the physical media.

You may eventually decide a particular service is not for you.  If you end your subscription, what happens to all the stuff you "bought" or "recorded" but is spread across disk farms across the globe.  Will the service let you get copies of them before you leave?  Other services may have it, but you'll have to pay for it again, if you want it.

Same issue potentially arises if a company goes out of business.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

The trouble with "buying" a title from a streaming service, or using a cloud DVR or other technology to record material on media that you don't physically own is that you are beholden to the technology owner and the owner of the physical media.

You may eventually decide a particular service is not for you.  If you end your subscription, what happens to all the stuff you "bought" or "recorded" but is spread across disk farms across the globe.  Will the service let you get copies of them before you leave?  Other services may have it, but you'll have to pay for it again, if you want it.

Precisely. That's why I keep all my music and movies on physical media and store the media in cases and binders.

If I can't touch it with my hands, how do I know I really have it?

Of course, discs are absolutely critical. I can store 400 DVD-rs in one binder. Can you imagine how much space would be needed for all those movies on VHS??

And, for quality sake, I record but one movie to a disc. 

8 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I'd already dealt with that, to some extent. I had bought some titles on Amazon Prime. Then I dropped Amazon because I liked Starz & Hulu better. And I thought, oh I bet I am going to lose all those titles. But that didn't happen.

Amazon is not going out of business anytime soon. I can still log into my Amazon account, and without renewing my old subscription, I can still watch the titles I bought. They're still there.

Of course I can always re-subscribe to Amazon Prime. That remains an option. 

Anyway, it's just so much better than having boxes of things to keep track of...and let's face it, 2000 things (1300 VHS tapes and 700 discs) was way too much. There was no way I was ever going to watch most of that stuff again. I had just collected it for the sake of collecting it. It wasn't practical.

The only time collecting something is practical is if it's stuff that is rare and hard-to-find. But the truth is that most everything is quite easy to find online these days.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

The only time collecting something is practical is if it's stuff that is rare and hard-to-find. But the truth is that most everything is quite easy to find online these days.

True.

But collecting isn't really about practicality. It's about fun.

• Like 1

Just now, SadPanda said:

But collecting isn't really about practicality. It's about fun.

Yes! That's true.

I guess if it makes you happy and it doesn't harm anyone, then do it!

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

I guess if it makes you happy and it doesn't harm anyone, then do it!

That's what she said.

Just now, SadPanda said:

That's what she said.

Probably the main reason those titles I bought are still accessible on Amazon Prime is because they want me back as a customer. If they just wiped out a person's library, then nobody would go back to them and re-subscribe.

I think the big unknown is if some of these streaming services will merge later on. So in case that happens, I would never repurchase something I already bought on Amazon Prime, over on Starz. I try to make my libraries on each site exclusive to what a site offers that is different from what other sites are offering.

For example, I have a Starz subscription so I can see a lot of Universal titles and Paramount titles that TCM does not air. 

I have a Hulu subscription because I can watch a lot of classic TV series I enjoy. I subscribe to Britbox to see my favorite British soaps and miniseries. 

Each streaming service has a niche, or a special appeal. If one site starts to become too much like another site, I drop it because I am not going to pay twice for the same thing.

But you didn't laugh at my "Michael Scott", TopBilled.

Disappointed: me.