Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, SadPanda said:

But you didn't laugh at my "Michael Scott", TopBilled.

Disappointed me.

Sorry. I've never seen The Office and just had to look up who Michael Scott was! :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

BLINDFOLD aired on the old AMC, because I saw a bootleg copy of it and it had the AMC logo in the corner of the screen.

So Universal does lease it. It's a matter of whether or not TCM's programming department wants to use it. They tend to spend on the Day-Hudson titles from Universal.

Universal *may* be reserving it for their new Peacock streaming service (I couldn't find it there just now).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Universal *may* be reserving it for their new Peacock streaming service (I couldn't find it there just now).

Thanks for the info.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The only time collecting something is practical is if it's stuff that is rare and hard-to-find. But the truth is that most everything is quite easy to find online these days.

I definitely agree with this statement. 99% of movies are free online if you know where to look. I don't see why someone should pay money for every movie they want to watch. We'd all go broke if that happened. I only buy movies if I know I love them or if they are extremely rare. For example, recently I bought the rare de la Falaise (Constance Bennett's husband) film Kliou (1936) because it was the very last in stock and nowhere else on the internet. To me that is a great use of my money. Another instance is if Criterion has a DVD with interesting extras I am really keen on seeing and I love the film on top of it.  will buy it out of interest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Universal *may* be reserving it for their new Peacock streaming service (I couldn't find it there just now).

To save me a trial period, are ANY old vintage Universals on Peacock (except for the Monsters, I presume)?

I mean...with all their ads for Jimmy Fallon and Shrek, they don't exactly strike me as the TCM/Criterion/Filmstruck section of HBOMax.  😔

22 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Amazon is not going out of business anytime soon. I can still log into my Amazon account, and without renewing my old subscription, I can still watch the titles I bought. They're still there.

Anyway, it's just so much better than having boxes of things to keep track of...and let's face it, 2000 things (1300 VHS tapes and 700 discs) was way too much. There was no way I was ever going to watch most of that stuff again. I had just collected it for the sake of collecting it. It wasn't practical.

That much, I sort of got the impression of, after "1300 VHS tapes".  🤔

However, please go and tell Warner you still believe in digital-locker permanent-purchase VOD, have never let your faith in The Future of Home Theater waver, and feel a sense of joy at having your entire library of movies conveniently packed away in digital form in some imaginary space in the clouds because it's so much easier than all those cluttering disks..

They've been sort of depressed lately, after they tried so hard to sell those ideas to the public for seven years, and LOST THEIR FREAKIN' SHIRTS on it, while everyone else online was raving over Warner Archive disks...  😈

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At first,without knowing the focus was on Rock today, I thought A FINE PAIR was a movie either starring or about JAYNE MANSFIELD .;)   :D   But it was just some pointless mid '60's Rock Hudson fluff.  :(

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, EricJ said:

That much, I sort of got the impression of, after "1300 VHS tapes".  🤔

However, please go and tell Warner you still believe in digital-locker permanent-purchase VOD, have never let your faith in The Future of Home Theater waver, and feel a sense of joy at having your entire library of movies conveniently packed away in digital form in some imaginary space in the clouds because it's so much easier than all those cluttering disks..

They've been sort of depressed lately, after they tried so hard to sell those ideas to the public for seven years, and LOST THEIR FREAKIN' SHIRTS on it, while everyone else on line was raving over Warner Archive disks...  😈

HDD recording using a PC.  An average of 800 titles per volume for me, and just now I am rounding out volume #8.  Nice compromise if you can figure out how to do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, EricJ said:

To save me a trial period, are ANY old vintage Universals on Peacock (except for the Monsters, I presume)?

There's a "Classic Monsters" section and a "Golden Age of Hollywood: 1930s" section (considerable overlap between the two, and neither is extensively stocked). But if Universal gets a revenue stream from these films, maybe that will convince them to put more vintage movies online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

There's a "Classic Monsters" section and a "Golden Age of Hollywood: 1930s" section (considerable overlap between the two, and neither is extensively stocked). But if Universal gets a revenue stream from these films, maybe that will convince them to put more vintage movies online.

I already took a look, and Peacock's definitely more Hulu than Filmstruck:
As you can guess from their ads, it's the NBC shows they're using to sell the service, and Universal sticks in a few House Icons (Monsters, Marxes, Dreamworks, Hitchcock) to remind us who owns it, but, like Hulu, the kids' section is name-only, and the movie section is a bit...random.

The hot TV and House-Icon catalogues are hidden behind hidden paywalls, while most of the B-tier is free-with-ads, with no subscription necessary.  (As opposed to Hulu's subscription-with-ads, but otherwise identical.)

Point being:  If you believe in The Future of Streaming, you already have my pity (streaming is a replacement for weeknight cable-TV, not Blu-ray), but if you're holding back on rare Universal vintage films waiting for them to show up here...boy, could that time be better well spent.

(In fact, the only reason we have studios talking about "Streaming replacing disk" is a bit of badly misinterpreted denial, after studios tried to figure out why Netflix became a hit and Ultraviolet didn't, and, like most folks I've heard, never realized there might be a DIFFERENCE between the two.  Hey, they don't use it anyway, so what would they know?)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...