Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Miscellaneous titles knocking around in your brain you've long wondered about.

4 hours ago, EricJ said:

I'll let other certain MST3K-fan posters chime in on this one--Whatever you expect from the title, it's a dreary home-camera disappointment either way.

I'm wondering how Joe Bob Briggs managed to get on the credits...Is this graphic from a disk release with Mr. Briggs' commentary?  I've been looking around for more of those. 

Thanks for help with the search, comrade...  🇷🇺

That's one more movie on my Frustrating Search list down, two more to go....I guess Mr. Quilp (aka The Old Curiosity Shop) (1975) would also qualify for the thread?

514M3Iu028L._AC_.jpg

Oh no.  Not a musical.  With Anthony Newly.  And David Hemmings.  And--a happy ending?

17 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Oh no.  Not a musical.  With Anthony Newly.  And David Hemmings.  And--a happy ending?

Nnnnot quite:  From a review, it ends on a poignant song of how much our good hero will remember Little Nell, so she was not in vain.

(Otherwise, yes, Newley & Bricusse's next musical Dickens followup to Albert Finney in Scrooge (1970), hence the villain getting his name over the title.)

5 hours ago, EricJ said:

I'll let other certain MST3K-fan posters chime in on this one--Whatever you expect from the title, it's a dreary home-camera disappointment either way.

I'm wondering how Joe Bob Briggs managed to get on the credits...Is this graphic from a disk release with Mr. Briggs' commentary?  I've been looking around for more of those. 

Thanks for help with the search, comrade...  🇷🇺

That's one more movie on my Frustrating Search list down, two more to go....I guess Mr. Quilp (aka The Old Curiosity Shop) (1975) would also qualify for the thread?

514M3Iu028L._AC_.jpg

David Hemmings AND David Warner in a musical. The mind boggles. Quilp, the evil dwarf who dreams of marrying the pre-pubescent Little Nell, now the hero of a musical. Oh-kay.

8 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Oh no.  Not a musical.  With Anthony Newly.

Anthony Newly sure seems like the King of Flops, doesn't he? When I got a load of him on TV as a teen I found him creepy & my Mom told me he was primarily a singer/songwriter married to Joan Collins! I was floored, thinking Joan was elegant & beautiful.

Wiki lists Newly as starring & directing another great title: Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?  Apparently, this also stars Milton Berle & George Jessel. Joan Collins plays a charactor named Polyester ****. I'll skip that one.

0a616f32216992881f05e6fa29b760b4.jpg

(an early acting role in '48 OLIVER TWIST)

It has long been in the back of my mind that the movies: She Wouldn't Say Yes (1945) and: She Didn't Say No! (1958) should have some continuity or at least some serious elements in common.

13 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Anthony Newly sure seems like the King of Flops, doesn't he? When I got a load of him on TV as a teen I found him creepy & my Mom told me he was primarily a singer/songwriter married to Joan Collins! I was floored, thinking Joan was elegant & beautiful.

Newley wanted to be the candy-store seller and sing "The Candy Man" himself in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, but the producers decided to go for Aubrey Woods (who I always thought uncannily suggested a British Gene Kelly) instead.  Doubtlessly still remembering "Doctor Doolittle".

And y'know, usually I'm the last to the party on obscure films, but I sense some skepticism in the room that such a movie as Quilp/Curiosity even exists. 🤔 It's pretty well dropped off the map (the only 70's Reader's Digest Films title that has), and all I've been able to find on YouTube are some faded TV spots and a handful of isolated out-of-context musical numbers:

Darn, and here I was JUST bragging that I'd "seen every obscure 70's-musical flop" after Song of Norway.  😠  Although, come to mention Reader's Digest Films, still don't think I've seen "The Magic Of Lassie", either...

On 8/5/2020 at 6:56 AM, TikiSoo said:

Wiki lists Newly as starring & directing another great title: Can Heironymus Merkin Ever Forget Mercy Humppe and Find True Happiness?  Apparently, this also stars Milton Berle & George Jessel. Joan Collins plays a charactor named Polyester ****. I'll skip that one.

(an early acting role in '48 OLIVER TWIST)

Just to say something in support of Anthony Newley: He wrote book, music, and lyrics (with Leslie Bricusse) two important Broadway musicals: Stop the World, I Want to Get Off; and The Roar of the Greasepaint. He also directed and starred in both productions.

• Like 1
On 8/3/2020 at 10:16 PM, Dargo said:

Here's one I know a friend of ours up in Canada wouldn't be the LEAST bit interested in ever seeing, let alone would ever "wonder about"...

MV5BMDM5YzZmZjUtMjkzOS00ODBkLWE1OWUtODdm

I started to watch this because the title somehow intrigued me.  Could stomach no more than 20 minutes, and now just wonder why someone even bothered to make this vulture.(I'd have called it a "Turkey" but thought that unfair to the animal.)

Sepiatone

Take a Girl Like You (1970) starring Hayley Mills and Oliver Reed.   It's got a pretty low score on IMDB but I'm curious about the pairing of Mills and Reed.

Take a Girl Like You Poster

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I started to watch this because the title somehow intrigued me.  Could stomach no more than 20 minutes, and now just wonder why someone even bothered to make this vulture.(I'd have called it a "Turkey" but thought that unfair to the animal.)

You ARE hard to please, but "discriminating" could be argued.  KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE is a lot of fun. 

16 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

You ARE hard to please, but "discriminating" could be argued.  KILLER KLOWNS FROM OUTER SPACE is a lot of fun. 

Being bored to the bottom of my bowels and having my intelligence insulted( go ahead flamers.  Don't let me down!  ;) ) isn't my idea of fun.  But then, it must be another "To each...." thing.

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Granted, the first  ten or fifteen minutes setting up our teen horror-comedy "heroes" is not even good bad amateurish drive-in, but then, they're not the focus of the movie.  Once the Klowns arrive, they're the movie a generation still naively wishes Tim Burton would make again someday (assuming he ever did):  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5GWqOrzQ3g

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Being bored to the bottom of my bowels and having my intelligence insulted( go ahead flamers.  Don't let me down!  ;) ) isn't my idea of fun.  But then, it must be another "To each...." thing.

No.  It's you.  :rolleyes: