Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Random thoughts due to recent boredom....

I'm sure we've all had these kind of thoughts.  Here's a few of mine.....

Not to sound morbid, but when my time comes the LAST place I want to go is to HIGH HEAVEN.  I mean, think about it.  How many times (and about an equal number of things) have you heard the phrase;  "That stinks to high heaven"?  I figure the air is pretty foul up there.  So, no thanks.

"I'll give him WHAT FOR!"  ???  Just what in hell IS that?  

And WHY is being "in Dutch" meaning you're in big trouble?  How did the Dutch get involved in that?  And while we're at it, how did "Dutch treat" come to mean splitting the expense of a meal?  I didn't figure the Dutch for being cheapskates.  But the SCOTTISH have long had that reputation, so why isn't the phrase really "Scotch treat"?  

"Stick it where the Sun don't shine!"......C'MON now, the only place that I can think of where it doesn't is the dark side of the moon.   So, how the hell am I gonna get whatever it is UP there?   

Whaddya got?

Sepiatone

51 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'm sure we've all had these kind of thoughts.  Here's a few of mine.....

Not to sound morbid, but when my time comes the LAST place I want to go is to HIGH HEAVEN.  I mean, think about it.  How many times (and about an equal number of things) have you heard the phrase;  "That stinks to high heaven"?  I figure the air is pretty foul up there.  So, no thanks.

"I'll give him WHAT FOR!"  ???  Just what in hell IS that?  

And WHY is being "in Dutch" meaning you're in big trouble?  How did the Dutch get involved in that?  And while we're at it, how did "Dutch treat" come to mean splitting the expense of a meal?  I didn't figure the Dutch for being cheapskates.  But the SCOTTISH have long had that reputation, so why isn't the phrase really "Scotch treat"?  

"Stick it where the Sun don't shine!"......C'MON now, the only place that I can think of where it doesn't is the dark side of the moon.   So, how the hell am I gonna get whatever it is UP there?   

Whaddya got?

Sepiatone

Not sure, but I think many expressions with "dutch" them actually referred to people from Germany.

"When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know have gone to better world, I am moved to lead a different life." - Mark Twain

It is "Dutch treat" rather than "Scottish Treat" because Scots are so stereotypically cheap that they do not go out to eat if they can avoid it.

All sides of the moon receive sunlight equally. 'Dark side of the moon' refers to our being ignorant of the side which does not face the Earth. i.e. We are 'in the dark' about it.

The sun would be able to shine in a certain place only if you had a glass bellybutton. 

Why do fat chance and slim chance mean the same thing?

Why isn't "palindrome" spelled the same way backwards as it is forwards?

Is there another word for thesaurus?

Why is abbreviated such a long word?

Is there another word for synonym?

Why do you wear a pair of panties and only one bra?

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

If you asked a librarian where the books on self help were would they tell you or would that defeat the purpose?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think "what for?" started by people asking why they were in trouble and the other person responding back sarcastically like this.

"I'm gonna punch you (or whatever else)."

"What for?"
"I'll give you "what for!"

Nice list SANS.  You could add to that-----

Why isn't "Phonetic" spelled Phonetically?  ;) 

And I thought of that "fat chance/slim chance" thing years before. 

And.....  just how long IS a "month of Sundays"?  Or a "c o o n's age"?  

And ever hear somebody say "That tastes like sh*t!"?  Now, how do you suppose they're able to make that comparison?  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

Heard just this morning while watching SWING SHIFT----

"Here's MUD IN YOUR EYE!"  

Yeah.  Thanks, pal!  :angry:  What the hell was THAT ever supposed to mean?  AND become a friendly phrase?

Sepiatone