Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Democrats Terrified of Biden Debating President Trump

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/510349-democrats-want-biden-to-debate-trump-despite-risks

Democrats want Biden to debate Trump despite risks

Democratic senators say Joe Biden shouldn’t be afraid to debate President Trump in the fall, countering other party figures floating the idea that he should skip the debates given his polling advantage and not risk giving Trump a lifeline.

“We’ve had presidential debates for a long time now, and it’s been a way for a lot of people around the nation to be able to see the candidates in action,” said Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who is thought to be on Biden’s shortlist of potential running mates.

“I know that Joe Biden will show who he is, a man of both empathy and competence, and I’d like the American people to have a chance to see that,” she added.

Opinion pieces in recent days have criticized the tradition of presidential debates, some of them generally questioning their usefulness.

But Joe Lockhart, a prominent Democratic strategist and former White House spokesman for the Clinton administration, wrote in a CNN op-ed that “whatever you do, don’t debate Trump” and was more specific and pointed in his advice to the Biden campaign.

The bar has been set so low for Biden by Trump and the right wing media that merely an okay debating performance by him will be seen as a victory.

Don't forget, too, that polls taken after the three debates in 2016 had Clinton the winner over Trump in all three.

One more thing, if the polls continue to show Biden comfortably ahead of Trump by the time of any debates the pressure on Trump to win them will be tremendous, and this is a President who frequently seems to be unravelling before the nation's eyes.

• Haha 1

https://www.newsweek.com/supporters-urge-joe-biden-not-debate-trump-applaud-hosts-canceling-over-covid-19-concerns-1522178

Supporters Urge Joe Biden Not to Debate Trump, Applaud Hosts for Canceling Over COVID-19 Concerns

Democratic strategists and supporters of Vice President Joe Biden are urging him not to debate President Donald Trump in the lead-up to Election Day, citing Trump's publicity stunts and disregard for the rules in 2016. Meanwhile Biden backers, including some conservatives, applauded the University of Notre Dame and the University of Michigan for cancelling their scheduled debates over COVID-19 concerns.

Former White House Press Secretary Joe Lockhart joined several Democratic Party strategists in bluntly advising Biden, "whatever you do, don't debate Trump." Speaking on CNN Saturday, Lockhart said Trump shouldn't be given another platform which will enable him to "repeat lies," which he said occurred in the 2016 debates against Hillary Clinton.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TomJH said:

this is a President who frequently seems to be unravelling before the nation's eyes.

Democrats are afraid to debate him, that's why Biden has been hiding in his basement for months.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Democrats are afraid to debate him, that's why Biden has been hiding in his basement for months.

Trump is unravelling in public, showing himself locked in a fantasy world of "facts" that have nothing to do with reality. Look at his two latest interviews with Jonathan Swan and Chris Wallace. There's every reason to believe that it will be Trump that will embarrass himself in a debate, especially as sycophants like you keep telling everyone Biden will be a disaster.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Sukhov said:

https://www.newsweek.com/supporters-urge-joe-biden-not-debate-trump-applaud-hosts-canceling-over-covid-19-concerns-1522178

Supporters Urge Joe Biden Not to Debate Trump, Applaud Hosts for Canceling Over COVID-19 Concerns

Democratic strategists and supporters of Vice President Joe Biden are urging him not to debate President Donald Trump in the lead-up to Election Day, citing Trump's publicity stunts and disregard for the rules in 2016. Meanwhile Biden backers, including some conservatives, applauded the University of Notre Dame and the University of Michigan for cancelling their scheduled debates over COVID-19 concerns.

Former White House Press Secretary Joe Lockhart joined several Democratic Party strategists in bluntly advising Biden, "whatever you do, don't debate Trump." Speaking on CNN Saturday, Lockhart said Trump shouldn't be given another platform which will enable him to "repeat lies," which he said occurred in the 2016 debates against Hillary Clinton.

This would be my advice as well.  There will be no debates because it takes two sane and normal people and only Biden qualifies.  Trump's performances at the Republican and Clinton debates prove he is unfit to be permitted into a debate of any kind.  He pulls stupid, juvenile stunts, refuses to answer the questions and blatantly lies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
46 minutes ago, TheCid said:

This would be my advice as well.  There will be no debates because it takes two sane and normal people and only Biden qualifies.  Trump's performances at the Republican and Clinton debates prove he is unfit to be permitted into a debate of any kind.  He pulls stupid, juvenile stunts, refuses to answer the questions and blatantly lies.

EXCELLENT POINTS !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TheCid said:

If the moderators are sane and normal people,  the sane and normal debater should be able to outperform the stupid,  refuses to answer the questions,  liar debater with ease.

Jonathan Swan and Chris Wallace exposed Trump for what he is.      The moderators (even those from Fox like Wallace),   are more then willing to do their duty to expose Trump; they also have had enough of Trump kicking dirt in their face by questioning their integrity  (when the shoe clearly belongs on the other foot).      

I still say Biden should avoid the debates because there is no upside for him.      (but if Biden was to debate Trump he should be able to hold his own if not beat him).

Perhaps one way to have effective debates would be to have both candidates agree that, if either of them utters an obvious lie, the moderators should serve as on the spot fact checkers and would be able to correct the speaker.

4 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Perhaps one way to have effective debates would be to have both candidates agree that, if either of them utters an obvious lie, the moderators should serve as on the spot fact checkers and would be able to correct the speaker.

Come on,  in such a partisan event there is no such things as independent fact checkers and thus so such concept as 'obvious lie'.     Instead it is up to the debater to call-out when their opponent lies,  but that would require Biden memorize facts and that is what the real concern here is.  

11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Come on,  in such a partisan event there is no such things as independent fact checkers and thus so such concept as 'obvious lie'.     Instead it is up to the debater to call-out when their opponent lies,  but that would require Biden memorize facts and that is what the real concern here is.  

There was a case last time -- I forget which or whose debate -- when a moderator corrected a verifiable fact. The moderator got in trouble, though.

Actually, just looked it up. It was Candy Crowley correcting Mitt Romney. (Btw, where is Ms. Crowley these days?)

"Conservative critics have launched an attack on CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, who moderated Tuesday's second presidential debate, after she corrected former Gov. Mitt Romney's claim that President Barack Obama did not refer to the consulate attack in Benghazi as an "act of terror.""

13 minutes ago, Swithin said:

There was a case last time -- I forget which or whose debate -- when a moderator corrected a verifiable fact. The moderator got in trouble, though.

Actually, just looked it up. It was Candy Crowley correcting Mitt Romney. (Btw, where is Ms. Crowley these days?)

"Conservative critics have launched an attack on CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, who moderated Tuesday's second presidential debate, after she corrected former Gov. Mitt Romney's claim that President Barack Obama did not refer to the consulate attack in Benghazi as an "act of terror.""

Crowley served as the moderator October 16, 2012 for the second presidential election debate between President Barack Obama and his Republican opponent Mitt Romney.[7] She received criticism for supporting Obama's assertion during an exchange with Romney over the language the President used regarding the attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi.[8][9][10][11] Crowley later admitted that Romney was "right in the main" in his comments.[12]

On March 17, 2013, following their CNN report on the guilty verdict of two Steubenville high school football players for the rape of an unconscious sixteen-year-old, Crowley and fellow journalist Poppy Harlow were criticized for giving too much coverage to how the verdict would affect the defendants' lives.[13][14]

CNN announced on December 5, 2014 Crowley's decision to leave the network after 27 years. CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker said Crowley "has made the decision to move on, so she can embark on the next chapter of her already prolific career. As difficult as it is for us to imagine CNN without Candy, we know that she comes to this decision thoughtfully, and she has our full support."[15] Her last broadcast was on State of the Union on December 21, 2014.[16] On August 17, 2015, Politico reported that CNN correspondent Dana Bash would replace Crowley as chief political correspondent.

In fall 2015, Crowley became a fellow at the Harvard Institute of Politics.[17] She has retired from daily work and is serving as a paid guest speaker

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Swithin said:

It wasn't a verifiable fact as Crowley later admitted.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Instead it is up to the debater to call-out when their opponent lies,  but that would require Biden memorize facts and that is what the real concern here is.  

He also has to train his eye to stop erupting with blood on live TV.

joe-biden-blood-eye-CNN.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Judging by the unmitigated stupidity of what Trump has been saying in public and in interviews lately I figure the "fear" is coming from the right.("It is what it is.") 

Y'all gotta quit relying on reports by "newscasters" lacking valid credentials that broadcast live from Mom's basement.  ;) 

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Judging by the unmitigated stupidity of what Trump has been saying in public and in interviews lately I figure the "fear" is coming from the right.("It is what it is.") 

Y'all gotta quit relying on reports by "newscasters" lacking valid credentials that broadcast live from Mom's basement.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Fear is coming from both sides,   but it is Trump that needs something big to change what looks to be sure defeat,  and therefore it is Trump that needs a debate much more so than Biden.

Well JAMES, Trump is gonna have to do more than the "shuck'n'Jive" tap dance that he's relying on to get him through the pandemic and even then ain't working too well for him.

24 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Well JAMES, Trump is gonna have to do more than the "shuck'n'Jive" tap dance that he's relying on to get him through the pandemic and even then ain't working too well for him.

I agree and a solid performance at a debate or two,  or Biden having a major meltdown (memory loss,   looks very confused,   major misstatements),   could help put Trump back on track.

This is why if I was advising Biden I would avoid any debates.    Again,  no upside for Biden.    Just continue on course.   A course that I"m predicting will get Biden to around 300 EC voters (with 270 needed to win).

Truly, I don't think a debate with Trump would be hazardous for Joe.  Trump will no doubt trot out his "facts", talk about how great he thinks he is and treat the occasion like it's "open mic" night at a comedy club. But then, given my now well known "Pet rock" theory, anything is possible, given that we all know Americans have always been their own worst enemy.

Sepiatone

18 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If the moderators are sane and normal people,  the sane and normal debater should be able to outperform the stupid,  refuses to answer the questions,  liar debater with ease.

Jonathan Swan and Chris Wallace exposed Trump for what he is.      The moderators (even those from Fox like Wallace),   are more then willing to do their duty to expose Trump; they also have had enough of Trump kicking dirt in their face by questioning their integrity  (when the shoe clearly belongs on the other foot).      

I still say Biden should avoid the debates because there is no upside for him.      (but if Biden was to debate Trump he should be able to hold his own if not beat him).

I doubt very much that a "moderator" can be an effective tool against the lies of one of the debaters.  This isn't a Chris Wallace interview.  They have to appear impartial.

In a later post you said that it is up to the debater to do his own work which is usually the way it turns out.  No one called Mitt Romney on his bold faced lies when he was debating Obama.

But It will be, what it will be.  :D

39 minutes ago, Bogie56 said:

I doubt very much that a "moderator" can be an effective tool against the lies of one of the debaters.  This isn't a Chris Wallace interview.  They have to appear impartial.

In a later post you said that it is up to the debater to do his own work which is usually the way it turns out.  No one called Mitt Romney on his bold faced lies when he was debating Obama.

But It will be, what it will be.  :D

Why didn't Obama call out Romney for his bold faced lies?    (if they were really as bold faced as you claim).    If Obama didn't have the debate skills to do so,   I would assume Biden doesn't.

I.e. they are not professional debaters,  just politicians.   

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Why didn't Obama call out Romney for his bold faced lies?    (if they were really as bold faced as you claim).    If Obama didn't have the debate skills to do so,   I would assume Biden doesn't.

I.e. they are not professional debaters,  just politicians.   

He did.  But it just devolved into a Monty Python sketch.   You said it ... No I didn't .. Yes you did ... Did not.  (This isn't an argument it is just contradiction ... no it isn't :lol:)  Obama was gobsmacked by how outrageous it was becoming.

Romney was declared the winner of that debate by the media.  I believe it was the second to last debate.