Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WB - not amused by new pirating ads

filmlover

Not sure if this has been brought up yet...

I've enjoyed how some modern commmercials can incorporate classic footage...such as the two segments that Jane Krakowski did with Gone with the Wind and King Kong for Breyers ice cream. When done right, these can be fun. And I usually have nothing but praise for WB studios...but I am appalled at their use of Casablanca footage at the beginning of recent DVD releases. It has a sequence of Ilsa talking to Rick, and then has a card that reads something like, "She is thinking about pirating this movie." and so on. Bad use of a classic movie.

This reminds me of when short movie clips of major stars such as John Wayne and James Dean, among others, were almost seamlessly integrated into modern commercials ala Woody Allen in Zelig. I think it was in the 80's - not sure. Someone must have put their foot down, they didn't last long. They were, however, fascinating to watch.

I like the latest ad (is it Visa or levis being hawked) with Brando and Wayne in scenes from some of their classic movies. I had no objection to the clip of Audrey Hepburn from *Funny Face* being used for the Gap a few years back.

If it gets the watcher interested in the star or intrigued enough to check out a movie or two, that's a good thing.

I draw the line at Fred Astaire dancing with a vacuum cleaner, though. Ads that go in and alter famous movie scenes, those I have no use for.

> {quote:title=filmlover wrote:}{quote}

> Not sure if this has been brought up yet...

>

> I've enjoyed how some modern commmercials can incorporate classic footage...such as the two segments that Jane Krakowski did with Gone with the Wind and King Kong for Breyers ice cream. When done right, these can be fun. And I usually have nothing but praise for WB studios...but I am appalled at their use of Casablanca footage at the beginning of recent DVD releases. It has a sequence of Ilsa talking to Rick, and then has a card that reads something like, "She is thinking about pirating this movie." and so on. Bad use of a classic movie.

It's a bad idea, only because CASABLANCA has nothing to do with the idea of "pirating" (though it might've been funny if Peter Lorre's Ugarte were portrayed as being in the film-piracy business along with providing exits visas and killing German couriers for letters of transit).

If the folks putting together the bit had used a clip from CAPTAIN BLOOD, then they'd deserve a pat on the back.

> It has a sequence of Ilsa talking to Rick, and then has a card that reads something like, "She is thinking about pirating this movie." and so on. Bad use of a classic movie.

In real life, of course, Bogart and Bergman were probably more likely to be thinking unmentionable thoughts about the studio execs. ;-)