Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

'Bonnie and Clyde': THR's 1967 Review

bonnie_clyde_1967_still_h_15.jpg

On August 4, 1967, a Warren Beatty film described by one critic as "part black comedy and part elegy," held its premiere. Bonnie and Clyde went on to be nominated for 10 Academy Awards and claimed two wins. The Hollywood Reporter's original review is below: 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bonnie-clyde-review-1967-film-815295

According to one of my old movie books, one of the critics around this time, Bosley Crowther,  hated BONNIE AND CLYDE with a passion. And of course moviegoers loved the movie.

Count me as one of those who consider BONNIE AND CLYDE a classic.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Outstanding movie, particularly for 1967 (a watershed year for modern movie-making).

I was blown away immediately just by the styling of the opening credits - and it only got better from there.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

According to one of my old movie books, one of the critics around this time, Bosley Crowther,  hated BONNIE AND CLYDE with a passion. And of course moviegoers loved the movie.

Hi  Beth,

I saw this movie when it first came out in a movie theater with my girlfriend. I enjoyed the movie but must admit it's not one of my favorites. It fit the times ... remember a bar in Tallahassee with a picture of Faye Dunaway who briefly attended FSU ... she looked great ...

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I think many hated it because it was too violent. I remember a scene where a man is shot in the face right on screen. That must have been a lot for people who were used to the Hayes Code.

12 hours ago, Sukhov said:

I think many hated it because it was too violent. I remember a scene where a man is shot in the face right on screen. That must have been a lot for people who were used to the Hayes Code.

The Production/Hayes code was disintegrating, so yes I can see why those who grew up with the non-threatening moviemaking technique of the 30's and 40's wouldn't take to the new changes being ushed in by the new branch of filmmakers coming about in the late 50's and especially the 60's and 70's. Still BONNIE AND CLYDE was enough of a hit that many to this day consider it to be a classic.

I imagine Crowther and a lot of folks really hated THE WILD BUNCH as well, that movie also had a lot of violence going for it.