Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Summer Under the Stars Note to TCM - One Star Leading to the Next

Would it not have been a cool idea to have a day of S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall films transition to Ann Miller's day by airing "Small Town Girl" after "The Student Prince"?  I know the latter film was Sakkall's last, but the former film was his second to last, so I do not think it would have made any difference.  Instead you made "Small Town Girl" the Last Ann Miller film of her day and she is barely in it.

There have been times over the years I have watched TCM where I noticed this before - having one star's day of films that could be handed off to the next star's day by putting a film they both star in in between those days.

Please consider doing so, when possible, in the future.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, CMM said:

Would it not have been a cool idea to have a day of S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall films transition to Ann Miller's day by airing "Small Town Girl" after "The Student Prince"?  I know the latter film was Sakkall's last, but the former film was his second to last, so I do not think it would have made any difference.  Instead you made "Small Town Girl" the Last Ann Miller film of her day and she is barely in it.

There have been times over the years I have watched TCM where I noticed this before - having one star's day of films that could be handed off to the next star's day by putting a film they both star in in between those days.

Please consider doing so, when possible, in the future.

That is a niffy idea and I also considered this when my wife saw Stanwyck in Christmas in Connecticut as part of Cuddles day.   She asked,  is it her day again????

BUT as you know,  these films would be on very late or very early (depending on if one is on the west coast or east coast).      E.g. did the programmer show Small Town Girl in that time slot as the last-film,   because she was hardly in it?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

She asked,  is it her day again????

Ha ha ha. I did notice there was another Stanwyck starring role very soon after her day. There has been overlap like that in previous years. I think forcing an overlap like this would limit the range of performers who could be selected. I don't mind if it occurs randomly.

8 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ha ha ha. I did notice there was another Stanwyck starring role very soon after her day. There has been overlap like that in previous years. I think forcing an overlap like this would limit the range of performers who could be selected. I don't mind if it occurs randomly.

I agree about the "limit the range of performers" point,  since such an overlap could lead to too much focus on actors under contract with WB, MGM or RKO,   the main studios TCM features but it might be a nice challenge for the programmers;    E.g.  feature an actor that did most of their films for WB,  but the next day a Columbia star;  Finding a film both of these actors were in might not be that easy (when compared to if the next day was also a WB actor).

Stanwyck and other free lancers,  like Cary Grant,  would get more opportunities as the so called "bridge'".     E.g. Christmas Connecticut is a WB film which is why Greenstreet, Cuddles,  Dennis Morgan etc... were in it since they were all WB contract players.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

That is a niffy idea and I also considered this when my wife saw Stanwyck in Christmas in Connecticut as part of Cuddles day.   She asked,  is it her day again????

BUT as you know,  these films would be on very late or very early (depending on if one is on the west coast or east coast).      E.g. did the programmer show Small Town Girl in that time slot as the last-film,   because she was hardly in it?

It seems to me they put films where stars have a minor supporting role, or even a cameo of sorts, on late/early, anyway during any time they feature a partial, if not a full, day of their films.  I also do not think what studio a star worked for at the time is actually relevant here.  "Small Town Girl" could have been the last Sakall film of his day or the first Miller film of her day.  Since both were supporting characters with about equal screen time (factoring in Miller's dance scenes), I do not think it matters if it airs late night or early morning.   Of course, the major hits and starring films would air in the afternoons and primetime.   I am not sure TCM would want to have "Christmas in Connecticut" on at that late/early time to transition from Stanwyck to Sakall, but it would have been nice unless there was another, less notable, film the two are in together they could have used.

Again, TCM should do this when possible, as it is a "nifty idea". 

On paper, that sounds cool. To let the days flow together.

But, we do have people who complain about really good movies airing in the middle of the night. Rather than in prime time.

And there are some stars that don't really connect very well. Or they might want to put certain stars on certain days.

What about a Charlie Chan Day? A B.o.s.t.o.n B.l.a.c.k.i.e Day?  How about a day devoted to any Universal film that is LOCKED UP???? Like Olson and Johnson? Donald O'Conner and Peggy Ryan?  Private Buckaroo. Mister Big.  Crazy House.  Maybe even a Saturday matinee of Francis the Talking Mule.

At least they HAVE theme months.  The other classic channel I watch doesn’t have organized themes & doesn’t  even start at the top of the hour (with weird times like 6:05 or 6:10).  They just shovel one movie after another.