Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie would you like to see remade?

The movie versions of The Sound and The Fury and Ulysses apparently leave a lot to be desired.  Maybe they could get an actual teenage girl to star in The Member of the Wedding.

8 minutes ago, Colorado Expat said:

One film I'd like to see remade would be "Paint Your Wagon" with Clint Eastwood as Ben Rumson...

Him singing "Wanderin' Star" should be inimitable.

I'd like to see them do it with the whole plot of the stage musical they cut out.

I was just telling my sister that I would like to see a remake of Jim Thorpe - All American. What a story! They don’t make  a lot of sport figure biographies at all. I know their doing the Williams sisters with Will Smith playing the father and they had success with the Jackie Robinson movie but they are far and in between.

• Like 1

I'm for remakes of films there were never really classics to begin with.

For example, 1987's ISHTAR had an interesting pretense, with two superstars in the leads (Warren Beatty and Dustin Hoffman), but the execution fell flat.  Maybe change the premise of the story a little,  update it with a more serious tone (especially in today's post 9/11 era) and with two leads that could actually sell it.

I just read that Rebecca has been remade with Lily James, Armie Hammer, and Kristen Scott Thomas.  It's set to be released on Netflix in October.

Netflix's Rebecca 2020 Release Date and Photos              Rebecca Netflix Remake Release Date Revealed with First Photos ...

• Sad 1

I really don't want this film to be remade, just a few minutes added at the end of the film.  The movie I speak of is "Notorious", directed by Alfred Hitchcock, starring Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains.  After Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman drive away to the hospital, Claude Rains' character, Alexander Sebastian, is standing out in the driveway and is called back into the house by the Eric Mathis character played by Ivan Triesault, "Alex, will you come in please, I wish to talk to you".  Claude Rains nervously, sheepishly, walks up the stairs into the house and the door closes behind him.  I would love to see the movie continue just a few more minutes so I could see and hear how the writers,  the camera and Alfred Hitchcock's direction would handle this tense scene which would be inevitably fatal for Claude Rains.  Don't get me wrong the ending is fine as it is but I have always been curious and wanted to hear and see the circumstances behind the door after the frame went to black.

51 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sorry you were deprived of that, but my guess is Hitch felt he'd shown enough, and each individual viewer could imagine Rains' grisly fate horribly in their own heads.

I have always assumed that after Rains' character was killed that the entire gang was attested by US and Brazilian authorizes.      These authorizes now knew where the mine was and were going to raid that,  so there wasn't any reason to let the gang continue on.      I.e. their fate wasn't that much better than Rains.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Nothing. Not a one. I hate remakes.  If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I love Hitch's remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.  Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day. Hoping you are not including a director who remakes his own film when you say not a one, you hate remakes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I love Hitch's remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.  Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day. Hoping you are not including a director who remakes his own film when you say not a one, you hate remakes.

What I'm talking about is mundane, icky crappy remakes of TV shows and movies that should be generally left alone.  As a matter of fact, I've only recently seen The Man Who and I really liked it  - the one with Doris Day.  

• Like 1

h

20 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

How about a remake of North By Northwest? Yikes! Stop throwing peanuts at me! I was only kidding!

LOL that would be a neat trick, Hitch remaking North By Northwest I guess if anyone could come back to remake his own film, it would be Hitch LOL.  I'm not throwing peanuts at you, maybe unbuttered popcorn 😂  I wrote hoping you didn't mean a director remaking his own film,  it was just your post was a little bit of an overstatement. I agree with your sentiments about remakes of mundane, crappy tv shows and movies  ;)

23 hours ago, skimpole said:

Maybe they could get an actual teenage girl to star in The Member of the Wedding.

Or as I described it here many years ago, the movie that answers the question of what sort of movie you'd get if Woody Allen played the part of a 12-year-old girl.

I just thought of one. King Kong.  You cannot improve on a classic such as this.  From the start of Anne snitching an apple because she is starving to death, to the ladies waiting in the soup kitchen line to get sinkers and coffee, it just screams of the Depression and it really works.  Carl Denham  in search of his perfect leading lady and bringing her on a horrendous tour to Skull Island.  I cannot think of a more horrendous flick that I have ever seen. I used to have nightmares of Kong chasing me through the village.  

47 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Nothing. Not a one. I hate remakes.  If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

As always, Ricardo Cortez is the ultimate Sam Spade.

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

h

LOL that would be a neat trick, Hitch remaking North By Northwest I guess if anyone could come back to remake his own film, it would be Hitch LOL.  I'm not throwing peanuts at you, maybe unbuttered popcorn 😂  I wrote hoping you didn't mean a director remaking his own film,  it was just your post was a little bit of an overstatement. I agree with your sentiments about remakes of mundane, crappy tv shows and movies  ;)

Go ahead and throw old shoes and peanuts, but don't ruin my buttered popcorn!

6 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

7 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

LOL that would be a neat trick, Hitch remaking North By Northwest I guess if anyone could come back to remake his own film, it would be Hitch LOL.

To be fair, North by Northwest is pretty much the same story as The 39 Steps and Saboteur.

I vote for Greed.  There's a good 2-hour movie to be made out of the material, but Erich von Stroheim creating a nine-hour monster didn't give the suits/editors at MGM a chance to make that two-hour movie.