Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie would you like to see remade?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, lavenderblue19 said:

 Well, if that was intentional, I'd say that was more like you throwing rocks at me LOL. who cares, my post is there. 

Hug

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Nothing. Not a one. I hate remakes.  If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

So you "hate" films like The Maltese Falcon,  A Star is Born,   Ben Hur,  The Strawberry Blonde,  etc...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so glad that David Lean did a remake of Great Expectations. I like the original done in the early '30's but the '40's version starring John Mills, Valerie Hobson and Alec Guniness is a favorite. Love this beautiful version. One remake that I can do without is Breathless. The 1960 Godard version with Belmondo and Jean Seberg is brilliant, no remake could touch that one.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised nobody has tried to remake CASABLANCA. I don't mean copying the story and giving it a different title. I mean an official studio remake of CASABLANCA. I think it would get a lot of press, probably with a lot of people expecting it to fail.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a crazy suggestion, I know. “Plan 9 From Outerspace”. I know, I know!
But I just think what a better budget could do for GRAVE ROBBERS FROM OUTER SPACE!!! I love the original for what it is, but I think I’d be interesting.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

The Monster that Challenged the World.

:)

C'mon now, Nip!

Sure, the Tim Holt role could easily be recast I suppose, BUT who could they possibly cast as the female lead in a remake of this one that would be as darn cute as Audrey Dalton, I ask?!  ;)

And besides, for at least 50 years now, NOTHING can live in the now extremely toxic waters of California's Salton Sea.

(...nope, NOT even big ugly man-eating giant sea slugs, dude!)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So you "hate" films like The Maltese Falcon,  A Star is Born,   Ben Hur,  The Strawberry Blonde,  etc...

C'mon James, tell 'em here what movie you and I have always thought could make for an interesting remake!

(...YOU know what I'm talkin' about here)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I'm surprised nobody has tried to remake CASABLANCA. I don't mean copying the story and giving it a different title. I mean an official studio remake of CASABLANCA. I think it would get a lot of press, probably with a lot of people expecting it to fail.

Maybe studio heads learned the lesson from the really awful 1998 PSYCHO remake.  Of course that was an almost shot-to-shot duplicate from the original and it still failed.

I honestly hope nobody ever tries to remake CASABLANCA. But then I didn't think anyone would be brave enough (or stupid enough) to remake PSYCHO.

Bogart and Bergman are a tough act to follow, I daresay even impossible to compete with IMO.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Maybe studio heads learned the lesson from the really awful 1998 PSYCHO remake.  Of course that was an almost shot-to-shot duplicate from the original and it still failed.

I honestly hope nobody ever tries to remake CASABLANCA. But then I didn't think anyone would be brave enough (or stupid enough) to remake PSYCHO

Bogart and Bergman are a tough act to follow, I daresay even impossible to compete with IMO.

 

Good post Beth and well said. You got that right, I also hope nobody ever tries to remake Casablanca.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Nothing. Not a one. I hate remakes.  If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

But what if it's "broken" to begin with?   example....

The dismal 1998 attempt to give a movie treatment to the beloved British TV series THE AVENGERS with RALPH FIENNES and UMA THURMAN. as Peel and Steed.  I'm actually shocked the television show's original producers didn't sue the film producers for punitive damages.

Sepiatone

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Maybe studio heads learned the lesson from the really awful 1998 PSYCHO remake.  Of course that was an almost shot-to-shot duplicate from the original and it still failed.

I honestly hope nobody ever tries to remake CASABLANCA. But then I didn't think anyone would be brave enough (or stupid enough) to remake PSYCHO.

I'm one of the four people living who actually likes the remake of PSYCHO. The other three people are Gus Van Sant, Vince Vaughn and Anne Heche.

In October, Jlewis and I will be reviewing PSYCHO '60 and PSYCHO '98 in the Essentials thread. We're also going to review the silent version of THE LODGER (1929) and the 20th Century Fox production of THE LODGER (1944). Our theme in October is horror remakes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I'm one of the four people living who actually likes the remake of PSYCHO. The other three people are Gus Van Sant, Vince Vaughn and Anne Heche.

In October, Jlewis and I will be reviewing PSYCHO '60 and PSYCHO '98 in the Essentials thread. We're also going to review the silent version of THE LODGER (1929) and the 20th Century Fox production of THE LODGER (1944). Our theme in October is horror remakes.

I don't know about Vince Vaughn, but I think Anne Heche had admitted at the time of the release of the remake that she never even saw the original. Whether she's seen it or not since then, I wouldn't know.

Sorry but for me there is only one Norman Bates and that is Anthony Perkins.  Likewise only one Marion Crane....Janet Leigh. Sorry Vince and Anne (and you too TB!).

And likewise there will be only one PSYCHO that I will acknowledge as a true classic and that is Hitchcock's film, not Van Sant's version.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I don't know about Vince Vaughn, but I think Anne Heche had admitted at the time of the release of the remake that she never even saw the original. Whether she's seen it or not since then, I wouldn't know.

Sorry but for me there is only one Norman Bates and that is Anthony Perkins.  Likewise only one Marion Crane....Janet Leigh. Sorry Vince and Anne (and you too TB!).

And likewise there will be only one PSYCHO that I will acknowledge as a true classic and that is Hitchcock's film, not Van Sant's version.

Thanks Beth. I don't quite feel comforted. But I appreciate your honest opinions! :) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2020 at 3:55 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

I love Hitch's remake of The Man Who Knew Too Much.  Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day. Hoping you are not including a director who remakes his own film when you say not a one, you hate remakes.

I'm sorry. Let me clarify. I'm talking about remakes of King Kong, Godzilla, The Day the Earth Stood Still,  Invasion of the Body Snatchers,  War of the Worlds. I understand that kids today want shoot em up, computer generated villains and all that, but really...  In my opinion you simply can't outdo what I consider blockbusters. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Janet0312 said:

I'm sorry. Let me clarify. I'm talking about remakes of King Kong, Godzilla, The Day the Earth Stood Still,  Invasion of the Body Snatchers,  War of the Worlds. I understand that kids today want shoot em up. computer generated villains and all that, but really...  In my opinion you simply can't outdo what I consider blockbusters. 

 

I agree. It is a generational thing though. I consider us lucky, that we've seen so many great classic films and I feel sorry for the generations that need all that computer generated stuff to make it enjoyable for them. The ones you've mentioned are some of my favorites too and anyone would be hard pressed to make them any better than the originals.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 11:11 AM, Sepiatone said:

But what if it's "broken" to begin with?   example....

The dismal 1998 attempt to give a movie treatment to the beloved British TV series THE AVENGERS with RALPH FIENNES and UMA THURMAN. as Peel and Steed.  I'm actually shocked the television show's original producers didn't sue the film producers for punitive damages.

Sepiatone

You can't compare the shows back then. I know a lot of stuff is out of date. Take 77 Sunset Strip for example. It's quite dated. Who knew that Kookie would give Elvis a run for his money? But it's a very entertaining series and I don't know if anything today can compare to it.  I tried to get into The Rookie cop series. I thought it was a cool story of a middle aged man trying to thwart criminals, but it is so violent. I couldn't watch it.  Also, back in the day, there were so many actors that we would see again and again in guest roles in everything from Gunsmoke to Get Smart. There are numerous movie stars that worked on television series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...