Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie would you like to see remade?

4 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I agree. It is a generational thing though. I consider us lucky, that we've seen so many great classic films and I feel sorry for the generations that need all that computer generated stuff to make it enjoyable for them. The ones you've mentioned are some of my favorites too and anyone would be hard pressed to make them any better than the originals.

Exactly. It is a generational thing. 

Take Gone With the Wind for example. Could they ever do a remake that would surpass the original?  No way! It's not a favorite of mine, but standing back and looking at the work that went into that picture. The number of movie stars, directors, technicians. My god, Hattie McDaniel was the first African American to win an Oscar, for crying out loud.  And let me ask you this... You see any actor out there today that can even compare to Clark Gable's looks? There isn't anyone out there today that can make me swoon, let me tell you, Dargo.

9 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

NONE. MAKE UP YOUR OWN STORIES.

What year should Hollywood producers have followed your advise?

I ask because so called "remakes" have existed since the 1920s.

E.g.  do you really wish John Huston had followed your advise and not written a screenplay for The Maltese Falcon and pitched the idea to Jack Warner to make yet another version (which was the 3rd one).

Also,  should all movies be based only on original stories?   I.e. no films based on books, plays or short stories?     I ask because in all of these cases the producers making the film didn't "make up" their "own stories".

• Thanks 2
11 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What year should Hollywood producers have followed your advise?

I ask because so called "remakes" have existed since the 1920s.

E.g.  do you really wish John Huston had followed your advise and not written a screenplay for The Maltese Falcon and pitched the idea to Jack Warner to make yet another version (which was the 3rd one).

Also,  should all movies be based only on original stories?   I.e. no films based on books, plays or short stories?     I ask because in all of these cases the producers making the film didn't "make up" their "own stories".

Thanks for writing this.

After the earlier discussion about the PSYCHO remake, I reflected on this topic. I see a remake as a retelling.

It is human nature to retell popular stories.

43 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

Attack of the 50 foot cheeleader

corman needs someone like me to do it right.

:D

You're a little long in the tooth now days to play a cheerleader aren't ya, Nip??? 

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So. seein' as how James (as far as I can see here) hasn't yet mentioned the movie he and I have always thought might make for an interesting (and updated to modern times) remake, I'll now go ahead and mention it then...

OIP.J7d4yOc6ci4_COLNIJDJqgHaLH?pid=Api&r

There is no pressing need to remake the Best Picture winner Crash, but if it were Thom Andersen should be in charge.

I've never read Ship of Fools, but i can imagine it can be made by a director better than Stanley Kramer.  Maybe Todd Haynes.

Back in the 00's, we used to get movies remade for one of four reasons:

1) "The Sandbox reason" - A new breakout director gets discovered, is handed the keys to his own project, and for his first act, wants to personally remake the coolest movie he saw when he was twelve, since he knows now that lifelong destiny has chosen him...Well, anyway, the coolest SCENE from the coolest movie he saw at twelve.  (qv. Richard Linklater's "The Bad News Bears, But Especially the Foul-Mouthed Kid")

2) "The Leonard Maltin Video Guide reason" - A lazy producer wants to legitimize his project, discovered that a classic old movie had a sort of one-sentence similar premise, and reshapes it into a name-only "remake".  (qv. "Adam Sandler is a Rich Guy, Just Like Mr. Deeds, and Then Plays Football Like Burt Reynolds in The Longest Yard")

3) "The Old-Movies-Are-Broken reason"  - Generational filmmakers want to pay tribute to some old bit of classic cultural lore, while backhandedly snubbing the old-fashioned filmmaking that modern film style could doubtlessly "improve" (qv. "Wasn't Clash of the Titans embarrassed to use all that claymation?")

4) "The How-Did-They-DO-It Back-Then? Reason" - Studios start panicking that the action or horror movies of today aren't what they were in the 70's, wonder why they can't get audiences into one nowadays, and try to invoke the Holy Titles.  ("What do you mean?  We haven't done 'too many versions' of Halloween!")

But now, of course, they only get remade for one reason:
5) MGM/UA Titles Are Free and Out-of-Copyright.

...CtToI, that would explain the three Carries, that nutty Rollerball, that way-off-book Child's Play, and that Clash of the Titans one.

19 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

You can't compare the shows back then. I know a lot of stuff is out of date. Take 77 Sunset Strip for example. It's quite dated. Who knew that Kookie would give Elvis a run for his money? But it's a very entertaining series and I don't know if anything today can compare to it.  I tried to get into The Rookie cop series. I thought it was a cool story of a middle aged man trying to thwart criminals, but it is so violent. I couldn't watch it.  Also, back in the day, there were so many actors that we would see again and again in guest roles in everything from Gunsmoke to Get Smart. There are numerous movie stars that worked on television series.

It's obvious my post went way over your head JANET.   I'm not comparing any shows.  Was however, pointing out that the 1998 movie made based on the '60's British television show THE AVENGERS that was also a hit in the U.S.was a dismal attempt to bring a movie treatment of the beloved series to theaters.  If any movie deserved a remake in order to set things right it's this one. IMHO, it actually makes ISHTAR look brilliant!    I never thought Ishtar was all that bad, but never thought it great cinema. So........

Sepiatone

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

So. seein' as how James (as far as I can see here) hasn't yet mentioned the movie he and I have always thought might make for an interesting (and updated to modern times) remake, I'll now go ahead and mention it then...

THIS won't do?

Sepiatone

• Haha 3

I really don't want to see any film remade; although sometimes an adaptation of Shakespeare or Austin/Dickens will draw in a younger audience.

While this is kind of off topic, I would like to see a sequel to Presumed Innocent, as Scott T. wrote the book.  Harrison Ford would play the same character.  Turow's latest is about the character which the late Raul Julia played.

I do not know if it exists, but, never having been a fan of Fiddler on the Roof for several reasons (although it still is worth watching), I would like them to film the Yiddish version (which some people I know saw on the stage).

Other than that, especially in celebration of diversity of all types, I would like originals

6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Was however, pointing out that the 1998 movie made based on the '60's British television show THE AVENGERS that was also a hit in the U.S.was a dismal attempt to bring a movie treatment of the beloved series to theaters.  If any movie deserved a remake in order to set things right it's this one. IMHO, it actually makes ISHTAR look brilliant!   

Ralph Fiennes tried hard to be Mr. Steed, and Warner chopped it into incoherency, but much as I'd like another go at it, thinks that's about as good a movie version as we're going to get.  Hard to imagine anything closer to the original series that would work out of context.

• Like 2

How about Un-makes. Take The Big Sleep, it was a sort of "Frankenstein" novel where Chandler  cannibalized short stories  "Killer in the Rain" (published in 1935) and  "The Curtain" (published in 1936). he also used  smaller parts of "Finger Man" and "Mandarin's Jade" and stitched them into the novel. Each one of those stories could easily quite easily be filmed.                                                                    

Farewell My Lovely was concocted out of  "Try the Girl", "The Man Who Liked Dogs". and again the "Mandarin's Jade"  Instead of two films you'd possibly get six new Phillip Marlowe films.

• Like 1

I do not know if it would truly count as a remake but I would love to see a full-length version of: Anita Liberty (1997). It is a short movie and a longer version would not surely have the same somewhat-hectic vibe but any movie which provides insights into the background, writing and promotion of the book: How to Heal the Hurt by Hating (2006 Villard Books) has to be worth watching.

3 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

If I were to win a megabucks lottery, one thing I'd do would to be to commission a...historically informed?...remake of the lost 1933 film Convention City.

I know a person who has on their list of lottery-money projects the production of a fake blooper reel for the Apollo 17 moon landing.   

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I know a person who has on their list of lottery-money projects the production of a fake blooper reel for the Apollo 17 moon landing.   

Gotta be better than any "blooper reel" from the ill-fated Apollo 1 anyway!  ;)

(...what, STILL "too soon", ya say???)

LOL

• Like 1
5 hours ago, EricJ said:

Ralph Fiennes tried hard to be Mr. Steed, and Warner chopped it into incoherency, but much as I'd like another go at it, thinks that's about as good a movie version as we're going to get.  Hard to imagine anything closer to the original series that would work out of context.

You're not going to get another Patrick Macnee, or another Diana Rigg.

12 hours ago, slaytonf said:

You're not going to get another Patrick Macnee, or another Diana Rigg.

I think GARY OLDMAN might've done well.  And anyone but UMA for Ms. Peel might work too.

Another One I'd try to remake is AMERICAN HOT WAX.('78)  But it would have had to be done some 20 or so years ago.  TIM McINTIRE was horribly miscast as the normally short, dark featured ALAN FREED, Tim being so tall and bloated.  GARY SINISE would have been perfect as Freed if, as I pointed out, the remake was done 20 or so years ago.  The now 65 year old Sinise might get by if a good make-up man were employed though.  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 8/9/2020 at 8:54 PM, Dargo said:

This is really going to confuse people at this forum because it appears most are anti-remake,  especially when it comes to when there is a prior version with actors they love and when the original source material is solid and prior versions did a good job of covering said original source material.

I.e.   why would anyone wish their favorite film,  one that included their favorite actors, to be 'remade'????

(only folks like you Dargo, and one or two others here,   understand my view towards new adaptations  (you see I don't even wish to use the term "remake"!!!!).

• Like 1
On 8/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, Dargo said:

You're a little long in the tooth now days to play a cheerleader aren't ya, Nip??? 

;)

That didn't stop Diane Keaton.

Screen Shot 2020-08-11 at 8.18.09 PM