Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie would you like to see remade?

12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is really going to confuse people at this forum because it appears most are anti-remake,  especially when it comes to when there is a prior version with actors they love and when the original source material is solid and prior versions did a good job of covering said original source material.

I.e.   why would anyone wish their favorite film,  one that included their favorite actors, to be 'remade'????

(only folks like you Dargo, and one or two others here,   understand my view towards new adaptations  (you see I don't even wish to use the term "remake"!!!!).

I'd love to see a remake with good acting and the proper pacing.

I'm afraid the new version would have explosions, extended shoot outs and ruin the whole concept.

• Like 3
On 8/10/2020 at 3:02 PM, Polly of the Precodes said:

If I were to win a megabucks lottery, one thing I'd do would to be to commission a...historically informed?...remake of the lost 1933 film Convention City.

I am generally pro remake. Because 1) Its not my money financing the venture and 2) If its a failure, I can just go watch the old version.

I agree with what Siskel and Ebert used to say: Why not remake the failed films and make them good, the way they should have been done the first time ? Or (as Polly posted), remake some lost films. Since we don't have the original, lets have a new one to watch.

• Like 4
On 8/7/2020 at 6:29 PM, TopBilled said:

I'm surprised nobody has tried to remake CASABLANCA. I don't mean copying the story and giving it a different title. I mean an official studio remake of CASABLANCA. I think it would get a lot of press, probably with a lot of people expecting it to fail.

I could see it as a mini series on some streaming channel.

I would love to see Rick selling arms during those wars. Why he "can't go back to America. How he ended up in Paris. What happened between leaving Paris and having a thriving night club in North Africa. What happened after the plane left and he took that walk with Renault. 

There are lots of details that could be filled in and make an interesting program.  If nothing else, I might tune in for the fashions .

A new version does nothing to the original film. I have Casablanca on my wall. This is not Dorian Gray, the picture won't suddenly change because of a new remake.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I would love to see Rick selling arms during those wars. Why he "can't go back to America. How he ended up in Paris. What happened between leaving Paris and having a thriving night club in North Africa. What happened after the plane left and he took that walk with Renault. 

There are lots of details that could be filled in and make an interesting program.  If nothing else, I might tune in for the fashions .

A new version does nothing to the original film. I have Casablanca on my wall. This is not Dorian Gray, the picture won't suddenly change because of a new remake.

Excellent post. And yes, a miniseries would be fantastic to flesh out the backstories.

9 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I am generally pro remake. Because 1) Its not my money financing the venture and 2) If its a failure, I can just go watch the old version.

I agree with what Siskel and Ebert used to say: Why not remake the failed films and make them good, the way they should have been done the first time ? Or (as Polly posted), remake some lost films. Since we don't have the original, lets have a new one to watch.

Well Gerald, they tried this once and it didn't turn out too well...

LOST%20HORIZON%20POSTER.jpg?__SQUARESPAC

(...sorry, couldn't resist)  ;)

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well Gerald, they tried this once and it didn't turn out too well...

LOST%20HORIZON%20POSTER.jpg?__SQUARESPAC

(...sorry, couldn't resist)  ;)

And this remake did nothing to spoil the original.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

There was a book written back in the late '90s which fleshed out Casablanca - titled As time Goes By, written by Michael Walsh.  He covered both pre- and post- Casablanca time frames for the principals, providing answers for many of the questions asked in the movie.  It's been a while since I read it, but I recall that my impression was that it was well written and respectful of the source material.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

And this remake did nothing to spoil the original.

Well, other than perhaps wondering if Ronald Colman could've carried a tune, I suppose you're right here, ol' boy!  ;)

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Excellent post. And yes, a miniseries would be fantastic to flesh out the backstories.

6 hours ago, Colorado Expat said:

There was a book written back in the late '90s which fleshed out Casablanca - titled As time Goes By, written by Michael Walsh.  He covered both pre- and post- Casablanca time frames for the principals, providing answers for many of the questions asked in the movie.  It's been a while since I read it, but I recall that my impression was that it was well written and respectful of the source material.

I actually got the idea from the miniseries Mildred Pierce, that was done in 2011 by HBO. 

It was well done in my opinion. And it didn't hurt the Joan Crawford film one bit.

• Like 1

I must wonder if new movies which are separate but co-existing with classic movies would be accepted.

I am thinking of how: Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990) interweaves with Hamlet

I would like to see Sascha in: Casablanca (1942) as he pursues Yvonne while both of their lives are centered on Rick's.

I am sure there are many other stories which are buried within other movies.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, SansFin said:

I must wonder if new movies which are separate but co-existing with classic movies would be accepted.

I am thinking of how: Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead (1990) interweaves with Hamlet

I would like to see Sascha in: Casablanca (1942) as he pursues Yvonne while both of their lives are centered on Rick's.

I am sure there are many other stories which are buried within other movies.

Ya know, come to think of it, I HAVE always wondered what became of the native chief in King Kong, and after they ship the big guy off Skull Island.

(...does he settle down to a much less stressful life, or once Kong is gone, do some other big nasty creatures then attempt to come through that large gate in his village???) ;)

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know, come to think of it, I HAVE always wondered what became of the native chief in King Kong, and after they ship the big guy off Skull Island.

(...does he settle down to a much less stressful life, or once Kong is gone, do some other big nasty creatures then attempt to come through that large gate in his village???) ;)

All the natives on Skull Island were eaten by the bevy of prehistoric creatures that were able to get at 'em after the big gates burned down in the making of GONE WITH THE WIND  six years later.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Dargo said:

What I have in mind is simultaneous with the movie.

The chief is tending to his people's spiritual needs when intruders ruin the ceremony. His only hope to appease his followers is to obtain a better offering to the god and so he picks some of his best warriors to confiscate a blonde woman from the intruders' huge canoe. 

All goes well and the offering is accepted and so life can return to normal.

The intruders then commit sacrilege on a grand scale by entering the sacred grounds and making the god angry. Many villagers are killed or maimed when the god chases the intruders from the sacred ground. The god then takes his vengeance on the chief's people for allowing such a transgression.

The intruders then leave and take the god with them. The poor chief is left to rebuild his village with many of his people dead or injured. Many of the survivors blame him for not having the intruders killed when they first appeared.

A subplot might show that the chief maintains power by having the daughters and mistresses of his opponents chosen for sacrifice and so few dare to openly challenge his authority. The chief is blackmailing the witch doctor to make these selections because the chief knows the witch doctor's secret of being a trans-religionist who performs all the rites and ceremonies for appeasing the common god but who sneaks off at times also to worship sea squids and other puckery things.

• Like 1

I've mentioned this before, but since the narratives over the years turned to interpreting THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL('51) as an allegory of The New Testament, I thought of GORT, that large destructive/indestructible robot as a representation of a Golem. 

Whitefang

• Like 1
On 8/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, Sepiatone said:

It's obvious my post went way over your head JANET.   I'm not comparing any shows.  Was however, pointing out that the 1998 movie made based on the '60's British television show THE AVENGERS that was also a hit in the U.S.was a dismal attempt to bring a movie treatment of the beloved series to theaters.  If any movie deserved a remake in order to set things right it's this one. IMHO, it actually makes ISHTAR look brilliant!    I never thought Ishtar was all that bad, but never thought it great cinema. So........

Sepiatone

Sorry I'm in the world. I wasn't aware there had been a movie made of the series. But why bother? My point is that you can't outdo the original.  The other thing is this. There were so many amazing writers back then that came up with all these stories and film treatments. We don't have that today. Well, at least I'm not seeing any Harlen Elisons out there or Ray Bradburys.  Have you any musical scores to compare to  the ones written back in the day? Any adlibbing from actors in the like of Crosby and Hope? There may be. I don't watch anything new on TV and I don't go to the theater. I'm content to stay at home and watch whatever the heck I want on my giant screen TV which includes baseball. Man. Fenway Park never looked so good. Or was never so comfortable...

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, SansFin said:

What I have in mind is simultaneous with the movie.

The chief is tending to his people's spiritual needs when intruders ruin the ceremony. His only hope to appease his followers is to obtain a better offering to the god and so he picks some of his best warriors to confiscate a blonde woman from the intruders' huge canoe. 

All goes well and the offering is accepted and so life can return to normal.

The intruders then commit sacrilege on a grand scale by entering the sacred grounds and making the god angry. Many villagers are killed or maimed when the god chases the intruders from the sacred ground. The god then takes his vengeance on the chief's people for allowing such a transgression.

The intruders then leave and take the god with them. The poor chief is left to rebuild his village with many of his people dead or injured. Many of the survivors blame him for not having the intruders killed when they first appeared.

A subplot might show that the chief maintains power by having the daughters and mistresses of his opponents chosen for sacrifice and so few dare to openly challenge his authority. The chief is blackmailing the witch doctor to make these selections because the chief knows the witch doctor's secret of being a trans-religionist who performs all the rites and ceremonies for appeasing the common god but who sneaks off at times also to worship sea squids and other puckery things.

Yeah, I like it, kid. But how about puttin' a car chase in it and just to add a little more excitement into the mix?

(...note: I did my best to find a pic on the internet of some stereotypical cigar-chomping talent agent/movie producer in a loud checkered suit to say the above and just to add to the effect here, but to no avail...couldn't believe there's not ONE to be found on the net for some reason, dang it!)  ;) 

• Like 1

chato's land

called a liberal western because of it's depiction of old west bigotry towards native americans.

michael winner's underrated western is a grim tale of persecution and revenge....

and chato really knows how to punish someone for **** his woman.

maybe it should be tried today.

:D

Charles Bronson in Chato's Land | Charles bronson, Bronson, Charles

right after he thows down a rattler into elias hooker's face

Chato's Land (1972)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NipkowDisc said:

chato's land

called a liberal western because of it's depiction of old west bigotry towards native americans.

michael winner's underrated western is a grim tale of persecution and revenge....

and chato really knows how to punish someone for **** his woman.

maybe it should be tried today.

Charles Bronson in Chato's Land | Charles bronson, Bronson, Charles

right after he thows down a rattler into elias hooker's face

Chato's Land (1972)

my only regret is that we doan see chato set earl's privates on fire.

20 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Sorry I'm in the world. I wasn't aware there had been a movie made of the series. But why bother? My point is that you can't outdo the original.  The other thing is this. There were so many amazing writers back then that came up with all these stories and film treatments. We don't have that today. Well, at least I'm not seeing any Harlen Elisons out there or Ray Bradburys.  Have you any musical scores to compare to  the ones written back in the day? Any adlibbing from actors in the like of Crosby and Hope? There may be. I don't watch anything new on TV and I don't go to the theater. I'm content to stay at home and watch whatever the heck I want on my giant screen TV which includes baseball. Man. Fenway Park never looked so good. Or was never so comfortable...

I don't think it so hard to find actors, actresses and writers who not only have a physical resemblance to a TV series' original stars, but writers capable of similating the style of the original writers.  It just calls for spending time on research( like watching hours of old episodes)  and setting aside egos (which causes some writers and actors to do "revisionist" versions of old TV shows, or even movie remakes in their own "style".)  As for musical scores, there's a thread dedicated to them somewhere 'round here.  And many newer scores can match and in some cases surpass the scores of back in "the day". That's all mostly subjective anyway.

Sepiatone

no comments on chato's land huh?

not surprised as I have probably many more hundreds of hours of viewing time than some of you know-it-alls.

a local station outta philly kept showing it after the 11 o'clock news usually sunday nites even though the stupes at TV guide only gave it a single star meaning poor.

I sat thru it once and found out that sometimes somebody at a station knowing that a film has been grossly underrated will have the smarts to continue showing it.

chato's land is a grim uncompromising tale of the old west that is so good I will even watch it edited.

it is that good.

Twilight Time Movies | Buy Chato's Land (1972) on Blu-ray

Hugh McDermott - IMDb

Back to CASABLANCA, I still say it doesn't need a remake or a sequel.  IMO it doesn't need a continuation to the story, it ended perfectly just as it did.

I can't think of an actor today who could play Rick as brilliantly as Bogey, nor can I see any actress in today's era topping Ingrid Bergman as Ilsa or anyone being able to fill Claude Rains' shoes admirably as Captain Renault.