Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What movie would you like to see remade?

54 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Back to CASABLANCA, I still say it doesn't need a remake or a sequel.  IMO it doesn't need a continuation to the story, it ended perfectly just as it did.

I can't think of an actor today who could play Rick as brilliantly as Bogey, nor can I see any actress in today's era topping Ingrid Bergman as Ilsa or anyone being able to fill Claude Rains' shoes admirably as Captain Renault.

WHAT?! You're tellin' me you can't envision the words, "I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find that gambling is going on in here!", coming out of, say, Seth Rogan's mouth???

Well, let's say if you'd wanna make a stoner's version of Casablanca, anyway. 

SURE, and then you could get everybody's favorite Nazi of late, Christoph Waltz, to play the Major Strasser role!

(...can't you see this NOW, Beth???)  ;)

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

WHAT?! You're tellin' me you can't envision the words, "I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find that gambling is going on in here!", coming out of, say, Seth Rogan's mouth???

Well, let's say if you'd wanna make a stoner's version of Casablanca, anyway. 

SURE, and then you could get everybody's favorite Nazi of late, Christoph Waltz, to play the Major Strasser role!

(...can't you see this NOW, Beth???)  ;)

Next, you'll be telling me you see Adam Sandler as Rick!:D

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

LOL

Well, I WAS thinking a little more of Will Ferrell here, actually. ;)

Saaay, this is starting to sound like this recent SNL parody of this movie:

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

Here's the reason why remakes are generally a bad idea...

image.jpeg.395b2638f5348f2284a3b0bfe189aa8f.jpegimage.jpeg.0c6697bd60796e76bb95d2bd50231568.jpeg

Ya know Tex, I've never watched the shot-for-shot COLOR (operative word here) remake of Psycho, but I have to say another shot-for-shot color remake of a film which I always thought DID do at least justice to the earlier and usually more highly regarded film it copied was THIS one...

the-prisoner-of-zenda-deborah-kerr-stewa

(...in fact, this shot-for-shot remake was the first version of Zenda I ever recall seeing and before eventually watching the Colman version of which I now believe to be a bit better, BUT in my view this 1952 remake is STILL worth a watch or three)

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Here's the reason why remakes are generally a bad idea...

image.jpeg.395b2638f5348f2284a3b0bfe189aa8f.jpegimage.jpeg.0c6697bd60796e76bb95d2bd50231568.jpeg

In the original PSYCHO Perkins looked so creepy in that final shot, him all alone in the holding cell.

Vaughn here looks like he's getting ready to crack some dirty jokes.

• Like 2

One film that I don't think could be remade today is the Silence of the Lambs. Though I'd like to see how they would make this movie more appropriate for the current zeitgeist.

6 hours ago, Sukhov said:

Though I'd like to see how they would make this movie more appropriate for the current zeitgeist.

"It puts the mask on its face."

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...in fact, this shot-for-shot remake was the first version of Zenda I ever recall seeing and before eventually watching the Colman version of which I now believe to be a bit better, BUT in my view this 1952 remake is STILL worth a watch or three)

If only for Jane Greer.

• Like 1

Redo the entire Star Wars trilogy made by Disney. It is a train wreck made for children and China. Lots of visual spectacle, no heart. Lucas' prequels may have been atrocious cinema, but at least it was Star Wars, even if atrocious.  If Disney wants to make trillions they need to get into international investing and get out of what they call entertainment.  They homogenize anything they touch. 

9 hours ago, SansFin said:

iAf2kQh.jpg

So....  My guess is that JOE PESCI and DANIEL STERN'S characters would be paroled by then and ready for some payback?  Perhaps they should instead make a sequel in which the now near 40 Kevin tries to get even with the now 77 year old Harry for traumatizing him and put the focus on Harry and call it AT THE HOME ALONE!  ;) :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

So....  My guess is that JOE PESCI and DANIEL STERN'S characters would be paroled by then and ready for some payback?  Perhaps they should instead make a sequel in which the now near 40 Kevin tries to get even with the now 77 year old Harry for traumatizing him and put the focus on Harry and call it AT THE HOME ALONE!  ;) :D 

Sepiatone

I would never expect anything that clever to come out of modern Disney. They probably want to have this remake be animated since the first was live action?  Expect some CGI custom beast that is cuddly and makes odd facial expressions. And lightsabers. Lots of lightsabers. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ya know Tex, I've never watched the shot-for-shot COLOR (operative word here) remake of Psycho, but I have to say another shot-for-shot color remake of a film which I always thought DID do at least justice to the earlier and usually more highly regarded film it copied was THIS one...

the-prisoner-of-zenda-deborah-kerr-stewa

You mention one of the handful of films I actually label a "remake" (instead of adaptation).      I also saw this version before I saw the Colman \ Fairbanks version.

As for when people wonder about the "why was this remade" question;   the ad provides one reason;   never before on the screen in glorious Technicolor!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You mention one of the handful of films I actually label a "remake" (instead of adaptation).      I also saw this version before I saw the Colman \ Fairbanks version.

As for when people wonder about the "why was this remade" question;   the ad provides one reason;   never before on the screen in glorious Technicolor!

That would have qualified WAY too many unnecessary remakes!  Imagine.....

DINNER AT EIGHT "in glorious technicolor!"......

IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT "in glorious technicolor!"....

CITIZEN KANE "in glorious technicolor!"----

Yecchhh!

Sepiatone

On 8/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, Bethluvsfilms said:

Well, would you believe David Soul of STARSKY AND HUTCH fame?    He played Rick in the short lived TV version from 1983.

image-w448.jpg?1575884594

On 8/15/2020 at 11:49 PM, Sukhov said:

Funny Games and the Vanishing also have shot for shot remakes. Meh is all I can say. 

It's been a long time since I've seen THE VANISHING remake, but I seem to recall it had a very different ending than the original.   Nevertheless, I agree with your opinion of it.

4 hours ago, Stoopnagle said:

Well, would you believe David Soul of STARSKY AND HUTCH fame?    He played Rick in the short lived TV version from 1983.

image-w448.jpg?1575884594

And, would you believe almost thirty years prior to that one, in 1955, Charles McGraw starred as Rick in another short-lived television series based on the 1942 classic film...

casablanca-1955.jpg?x69653

And speaking of "would you believe" and remakes...

That line of course reminds me of the classic sitcom 'Get Smart', of which I remembered a 2008 movie made of the exploits of inept secret agent Maxwell Smart which starred Steve Carell.

It did not receive glowing reviews at the time of its release, and the following review by Mick LaSalle of the San Francisco Chronicle had me laughing out loud when I ran across it just now on this movie's wiki page:

"It couldn't buy a laugh in a nitrous oxide factory with a fistful of clown noses."

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, Stoopnagle said:

It's been a long time since I've seen THE VANISHING remake, but I seem to recall it had a very different ending than the original.   Nevertheless, I agree with your opinion of it.

You're correct about the American version of The Vanishing. They changed it to a happy ending. Funny Games, however, made by the same director, has no such change in its English language version.

• Thanks 1
On 8/16/2020 at 2:07 AM, Sukhov said:

Is he referring to Hume Cronyn's rubber hose we were discussing in another thread?

cronyn_brute_force.jpg?resize=400,300&ss

Oh the HORROR!

• Haha 1