Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Woman Make Film == LOTS of modern movies

I just checked the schedule & this 14-part documentary is being shown with non-classic movies from the 90s, 2000s, and 2010s.  Not just one or two, but a whole ton of them.   Over the years I’ve seen a lot of channels (Learning, History, Travel, SciFi, etc) drift from their original purpose & I hope Turner CLASSIC Movies is not drifting too.

This documentary & accompanying modern movies probably would have fit better on a different channel like HBO or TNT or AMC.

Robert Osborne said in 2013 it takes a few decades to discover if a movie is truly classic: Does it stand the test of time (or does it age poorly).   I agree.  TCM should avoid post-1990 and 2000 movies as much as possible IMHO.

One of the twelve labors of Herakles was to battle the Lernaen Hydra, a nine-headed beast.  The first eight heads he chopped off died, being mortal.  The ninth, being immortal, he had to bury under a big rock.  But it seems there is no rock big enough to finally bury this hydra head of people wanting to derail TCM from its original mission of presenting studio-era movies and movies of today.  They express their desires as coming from a concern for preserving TCM's mission, but really they want to change it into something it was never intended to be.  TCM is today what it has always been, a channel that shows movies of all times, uninterrupted and unedited (at least by them). 

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Davehat said:

I just checked the schedule & this 14-part documentary is being shown with non-classic movies from the 90s, 2000s, and 2010s.  Not just one or two, but a whole ton of them.   Over the years I’ve seen a lot of channels (Learning, History, Travel, SciFi, etc) drift from their original purpose & I hope Turner CLASSIC Movies is not drifting too.

This documentary & accompanying modern movies probably would have fit better on a different channel like HBO or TNT or AMC.

Robert Osborne said in 2013 it takes a few decades to discover if a movie is truly classic: Does it stand the test of time (or does it age poorly).   I agree.  TCM should avoid post-1990 and 2000 movies as much as possible IMHO.

You’ve made a solid point but it is going to be interpreted by many as, “Oh here we go again, another complaint about modern movies on the schedule”. I, too see this September schedule as another month wasted after coming off the dreadful Summer Under The Stars programming that we are subjected to each year. I will just use the next few months to catch up on Criterion’s that I bought during the annual Barnes and Noble sale.

Elaine May and Amy Heckerling oughta be highlighted.

Heckerling an early victim of leftist hollywood political correctness was savaged by siskel & ebert for Nat'l Lampoon's european vacation.

hollywood hated it but filmgoers liked it.

I GUESS YOU hated Robert Osborne too, because he said a movie is “not classic” until a few decades have passed.

There’s nothing classic about a movie just made 10-15 years ago (else TCM should rename itself Turner MODERN Movies),

These are the words of Robert Osborne on his very first first first introduction:

Hi, welcome to Turner Classic Movies. I'm Robert Osborne, I'm gonna be your host, right here, as we present some of the best, the--finest films ever made, twenty-four hours a day. We're going to be drawing not only from the great film libraries of MGM and Warner Brothers, but also from other outstanding catalogs, so: Come join us, and see not only great films and stars from the past, but also films from recent years, featuring some of our newest and most watchable stars.

Emphasis mine.

Some films are instant classics.

I think PARASITE (2019) is an example of an instant classic. 

You don't need time to figure out that it's a game changer and quickly has earned its place in movie-making history.

Then there's the reverse scenario. Where just because something that was produced in 1943 airs on TCM, that doesn't mean it's a classic. It might just be an old film with not much going for it. Hollywood made a bunch of junk in the 30s, 40s and 50s. Not everything is worthy of being called a classic, no matter how old it is.

• Like 1

I have watched TCM since the 90s and they never showed a movie newer than 25 years old.  That was their original policy.  Might as well rename TCM as “HBO” is they’re going to show new stuff.

17 minutes ago, Davehat said:

I have watched TCM since the 90s and they never showed a movie newer than 25 years old.  That was their original policy.

- Then the policy changed.

In 20 years Parasite will be considered a bad movie just like Oscar winner Tom Jones (horribly written & bad camera work) and a few other “best picture” winners.

- Movies we think are great today often age poorly as the decades pass.

- Your policy of “instant classic” means my 2019 Honda Civic could be considered a “classic car”!  Ridiculous.  If I want to get special classic plates on my car, I need to wait 25 years to do so.

I don't think such a policy was actually written down, was it?

Fellow forum member MovieCollectorOH maintains a fairly extensive TCM schedule database, as you may know.  One of the reports published from this is a count of TCM premieres by broadcast year.

TCM started in 1994.  By the "25 years" definition/policy above, that means TCM shouldn't have shown any films made after 1969.  The report from MovieCollectorOh groups films by half-decades, so 1970 is a convenient cutoff point.

According to this list, in 1994, TCM's first year, TCM showed 45 films made from 1970 onward, apparently violating the "25 year policy" from the beginning of the network.  The next year, the count of post-1970 film premieres is 69.  

http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/5)movies-only_Historical-Premieres.htm

7 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I don't think such a policy was actually written down, was it?

Fellow forum member MovieCollectorOH maintains a fairly extensive TCM schedule database, as you may know.  One of the reports published from this is a count of TCM premieres by broadcast year.

TCM started in 1994.  By the "25 years" definition/policy above, that means TCM shouldn't have shown any films made after 1969.  The report from MovieCollectorOh groups films by half-decades, so 1970 is a convenient cutoff point.

According to this list, in 1994, TCM's first year, TCM showed 45 films made from 1970 onward, apparently violating the "25 year policy" from the beginning of the network.  The next year, the count of post-1970 film premieres is 69.  

http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/5)movies-only_Historical-Premieres.htm

There was no such policy.    That is just a myth.     TCM has shown film made that were NOT over 25 years old since the start of the station.

The showing of these later films was very rare and as time marches on what was 15 years old,  20 years ago is how 35 years old!

PS:  I have always wanted TCM to stick to mainly American studio-era films, which I define as talking film from 1929 - 1968.     As long as 90% of their programming is from this era,  I'm fine with the remaining 10% to be modern films,  foreign films,  and silent films.  

I believe based on MC's stats TCM is doing that. 

31 minutes ago, Davehat said:

I have watched TCM since the 90s and they never showed a movie newer than 25 years old.  That was their original policy.

Then the policy changed.  Might as well rename TCM as “HBO” is they’re going to show new stuff.

As JamesJazzguitar says, this is simply not true and has been demonstrated innumerable times.  You walk in a line of posters who  have been foretelling the immanent demise of TCM for over fifteen years.  But TCM is still doing what is has always done from day one.  Showing movies of all times, and repeating them to the point of nausea.  There's nothing new in what you say, and nothing substantive.

You are using a blog.  Even Wikipedia would not allow that for a valid citation.

- In 20 years Parasite will be considered a bad movie just like Oscar winner Tom Jones (horribly written & bad camera work) and a few other “best picture” winners.  Movies we think are great today often age poorly as the decades pass. 

- Your policy of “instant classic” means my 2019 Honda Insight could be considered a “classic car”!  Ridiculous.  And nonsense.  There is no such thing as an instant classic.

(Aside: If I want to get special classic plates on my car, I need to wait 25 years to do so.  “Old” is part of the definition of the word classic.)

• Sad 2
38 minutes ago, Davehat said:

You are using a blog.  Even Wikipedia would not allow that for a valid citation.

- In 20 years Parasite will be considered a bad movie just like Oscar winner Tom Jones (horribly written & bad camera work) and a few other “best picture” winners.  Movies we think are great today often age poorly as the decades pass. 

- Your policy of “instant classic” means my 2019 Honda Insight could be considered a “classic car”!  Ridiculous.  And nonsense.  There is no such thing as an instant classic.

(Aside: If I want to get special classic plates on my car, I need to wait 25 years to do so.  “Old” is part of the definition of the word classic.)

I think you're confusing "old" with "classic." These are not synonymous terms.

Women direct films and no Riefenstahl movies? :huh: Not even any of her non-political films like Blue Light?

39822177_101.jpg

Also genuinely a bit surprised TCM didn't try doing something like schedule the Matrix movies during this event or anything similar.

In one regard, its no surprise that it skews more modern. There were very few female directors working on high-profile films until the 1980s. And since the showcase only shows one film per director, it makes sense then that it goes modern. That said, we still have one by Dorothy Arzner, and one by Ida Lupino, and Elaine May is indeed showcased, via Mikey and Nicky.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

In one regard, its no surprise that it skews more modern. There were very few female directors working on high-profile films until the 1980s. And since the showcase only shows one film per director, it makes sense then that it goes modern. That said, we still have one by Dorothy Arzner, and one by Ida Lupino, and Elaine May is indeed showcased, via Mikey and Nicky.

They wouldn't be so limited if they had broadened the scope of the series to include female writers, editors, producers and executives.

I would have included:

Writer Frances Marion

Dorothy Arzner as Cutter (Editor)

Writer/Producer Joan Harrison

Producer Harriet Parsons

Producer Betty Box

Executive Mary Pickford

Executive Lucille Ball

Executive Sherry Lansing

12 hours ago, Davehat said:

What you see on my website is just the end result, which is all most wish to see.   Unlike a blog though, none of it is based on opinion.  Behind the scenes there's a very intricate relational database which generates everything, fed by carefully vetted schedule data, assembled and managed by computer professionals, each with different interests and specialties who are also fellow TCM viewers.

This is another table which does a good job at tabulating TCM's history, with the dropouts in the mid to late 1990s explained by the missing months listed on bottom of the home page.
http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/1)movies-only.htm

Wikipedia, in comparison, is rather irrelevant to our cause here - as I'm sure our work would be to them.  I wouldn't even want my project mentioned there, due to the potential for our work to be misrepresented and misunderstood without my knowledge.

• Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I did think though about the Female Director series though is that I feel we will soon be seeing a different type of complaint, from viewers offended about content, because Lovely and Amazing, which airs in about 11 days, features an extended full-frontal nude scene that was much discussed at the time of the film's release.