Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 8/8/2020 at 7:36 PM, cigarjoe said:

MI0001393377.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Capitol's Ultra Lounge series has a volume dedicated to crime music. I think there's a Pt2 as well.

MI0002690384.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

It includes Peter Gunn Suite (including Street Scene), Harlem Nocturne and my favorite "The Silencers". 

I have all the original 20 volumes including HIGH ROLLERS (Las Vegas themed) which has a few crime cuts and a volume of Strip Music, another seedy fave genre.

Sorry to disagree about Hotel California, but....

303880548-lebowski-eagles-o.gif

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

....Sorry to disagree about Hotel California, but....

303880548-lebowski-eagles-o.gif

Whoa! Chill out back there, Dude! I know you prefer CCR instead, but I CAN'T think of ONE CCR song that could be called "noir"!

(...well, MAYBE 'Run Through the Jungle', but that would be about it)

;)

This thread has some great choices for "noir" songs.  Tom Waits and Frank Sinatra -- certainly!  But some of the choices surprised me, like "Long Cool Woman," which I know well but had never thought of as a noir song -- until I read the lyrics here!

Recently, inspired by a Washington Post article about the relevance of Edward Hopper's lonely paintings to the mood of the pandemic, I put together an instrumental playlist that was not only inspired by the painting "Nighthawks," but also (in my mind) ended up being a "soundtrack for an un-made film noir."  (It does, however, include some music from actual films noir.)  Here are the tracks on my "Nighthawks" playlist, the versions dictated somewhat by the music I already had in my collection:

1. The Street (from "Sweet Smell of Success") (original soundtrack) - Elmer Bernstein and His Orchestra
  2. Generique (from "Elevator to the Gallows") (original soundtrack) - Miles Davis
  3. Theme from "The Bad and The Beautiful" - Bill Evans
  4. Midnight Indigo (from "Anatomy of a Murder") (original soundtrack) - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
  5. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Charles Mingus
  6. Chelsea Bridge - Ben Webster
  7. Theme from "Perry Mason" - Buddy Morrow and His Orchestra
  8. Prelude to a Kiss - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
  9. Stella By Starlight (from "The Uninvited") - Nat King Cole
  10. Main Title from "Laura" (original soundtrack) - 20th Century Fox Orchestra
  11. Harlem Nocturne - Woody Herman with David Rose and His Orchestra
  12. In A Sentimental Mood - Bobby Hackett
  13. French Quarter (from "A Streetcar Named Desire) (original soundtrack) - Alex North and His Orchestra
  14. Melancholy Serenade - Jackie Gleason and His Orchestra
  15. Street Scene (Sentimental Rhapsody) - Willis "Gator Tail" Jackson
  16. Blues in the Night - Oscar Peterson
  17. Almost Cried (from "Anatomy of a Murder") (original soundtrack) - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
  18. Early Autumn - Ben Webster
  19. The Spellbinder (end title from "The Bad and The Beautiful") (original soundtrack) - MGM Orchestra

Note that although I've designated which songs were originally written for a film, only the ones designated "original soundtrack" were the actual movie recordings.  Others (e.g., Nat Cole's piano instrumental of Stella By Starlight) are non-soundtrack recordings.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, BingFan said:

This thread has some great choices for "noir" songs.  Tom Waits and Frank Sinatra -- certainly!  But some of the choices surprised me, like "Long Cool Woman," which I know well but had never thought of as a noir song -- until I read the lyrics here!

Recently, inspired by a Washington Post article about the relevance of Edward Hopper's lonely paintings to the mood of the pandemic, I put together an instrumental playlist that was not only inspired by the painting "Nighthawks," but also (in my mind) ended up being a "soundtrack for an un-made film noir."  (It does, however, include some music from actual films noir.)  Here are the tracks on my "Nighthawks" playlist, the versions dictated somewhat by the music I already had in my collection:

1. The Street (from "Sweet Smell of Success") (original soundtrack) - Elmer Bernstein and His Orchestra
  2. Generique (from "Elevator to the Gallows") (original soundtrack) - Miles Davis
  3. Theme from "The Bad and The Beautiful" - Bill Evans
  4. Midnight Indigo (from "Anatomy of a Murder") (original soundtrack) - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
  5. Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - Charles Mingus
  6. Chelsea Bridge - Ben Webster
  7. Theme from "Perry Mason" - Buddy Morrow and His Orchestra
  8. Prelude to a Kiss - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
  9. Stella By Starlight (from "The Uninvited") - Nat King Cole
  10. Main Title from "Laura" (original soundtrack) - 20th Century Fox Orchestra
  11. Harlem Nocturne - Woody Herman with David Rose and His Orchestra
  12. In A Sentimental Mood - Bobby Hackett
  13. French Quarter (from "A Streetcar Named Desire) (original soundtrack) - Alex North and His Orchestra
  14. Melancholy Serenade - Jackie Gleason and His Orchestra
  15. Street Scene (Sentimental Rhapsody) - Willis "Gator Tail" Jackson
  16. Blues in the Night - Oscar Peterson
  17. Almost Cried (from "Anatomy of a Murder") (original soundtrack) - Duke Ellington and His Orchestra
  18. Early Autumn - Ben Webster
  19. The Spellbinder (end title from "The Bad and The Beautiful") (original soundtrack) - MGM Orchestra

Note that although I've designated which songs were originally written for a film, only the ones designated "original soundtrack" were the actual movie recordings.  Others (e.g., Nat Cole's piano instrumental of Stella By Starlight) are non-soundtrack recordings.

Great list, Bing,  thanks for that !  As you probably are aware, some of the titles on your list have already been mentioned here -  although some of these songs are such classics, there are numerous interpretations of them, by various artists,  and the ones posted on this thread might not be the same as the versions on your list.

Looks like your taste skews a bit to jazz-  a genre particularly well-suited to noir.

55 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations.  It's such a dark, hopeless song. Mama telling the story of how papa couldn't settle down and left the family alone. The music sounds a little dangerous too. I think it's noirish

Yes, it is !  I love the line,  "....and when he died, all he left us was alone. "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Invitation is a very moody song done with minor 9th chords.      The movie with Van Johnson,  Dorothy McGuire,  and Ruth Roman is a melodrama.  

But the song became a jazz standard and one that is fun to play since it has interesting changes.   (as in rhythm changes,,,,   I got music,,  I got rhythm,,,,,).   

• Like 1
17 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Anyone remember Twin Peaks ? The original, I mean, the 1990 one.  God, what a fantastic, fascinating, television series that was.  And despite its small town mountainous setting, very noir.  

Of course and who could forget the Pink Room from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me....

• Like 2

Has Billie Holiday been mentioned yet?  A big oversight, if she hasn't.  What a voice.  That, plus, just the way she put a song across...love the Lady.

edit:  seems the youtube version I picked isn't available in the States  (that's a switch.)  Let's try this one:  (same song, same recording, just a different youtube upload):

43 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Miss W--I clicked on your Billie Holiday video a few times and I got the video unavailable message. 

Not sure why. 

I'm not sure why either;  it happens all the time to me, having certain youtube songs verboten in Canada.  Doesn't usually happen the other way around.

Anyway, I just went back to youtube and picked another upload of the song.  same song, same recording.  Hopefully this time you'll be able to hear it.  It's the ever so sad "You've Changed".  It's on that same post, I just edited out the other one and replaced it with the one that's there now.

Btw, I've been thinkin' that with lyrics like, "He blew his mind out in a car", the Beatles' A Day in the Life could maybe be called "noirish", wouldn't ya think out there?