Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

National Anthems in film

Recently I rewatched Renoir's La Marseillaise, about the volunteers from Marseilles who overthrew the monarchy in 1792, and from whom the French National Anthem gets its name from.  And of course, singing the song in Casablanca is the single most famous use of a national anthem in film.  Which makes me wonder what other national anthems appear in movies?  "God Bless America" isn't officially an anthem, though being sung at the end of The Deer Hunter is certainly memorable. 

2 hours ago, skimpole said:

Recently I rewatched Renoir's La Marseillaise, about the volunteers from Marseilles who overthrew the monarchy in 1792, and from whom the French National Anthem gets its name from.  And of course, singing the song in Casablanca is the single most famous use of a national anthem in film.  Which makes me wonder what other national anthems appear in movies?  "God Bless America" isn't officially an anthem, though being sung at the end of The Deer Hunter is certainly memorable. 

Jimi in "Woodstock" tops "Casablanca."

• Haha 1

The "Star-Spangled Banner" is playing on the family TV as part of the station's nightly sign-off in the opening of POLTERGEIST.

• Like 1

"The Internationale" is played and sung, particularly in one memorable scene, in Reds (1981). It was the anthem of the Soviet Union for a few decades. It was also played at the Academy Awards, as Maureen Stapleton went up to receive her Oscar for playing Emma Goldman in the film.

Great minds -- Sukhov just  posted the same clip..

While on the topic of Bloc anthems, DPRK movies often have the characters breaking out into anthems for no real reason. :lol:

Often called the alternate British national anthem, the hymn "Jerusalem" -- derived from a 19th-century poem by William Blake -- was used to great effect in the 1981 Best Picture winner, "Chariots of Fire." The film's title was taken from a line in the poem.

Of course, Britain's acknowledged national anthem also is heard in "Chariots of Fire." During the 100 meters race at the 1924 Olympic Games in Paris, the British trainer Sam Mussabini (portrayed by the late Sir Ian Holm) roots from a nearby room for his protégé Harold Abrahams (Ben Cross).  

1 hour ago, jakeem said:

Often called the alternate British national anthem, the hymn "Jerusalem" -- derived from a 19th-century poem by William Blake -- was used to great effect in the 1981 Best Picture winner, "Chariots of Fire." The film's title was taken from a line in the poem.

"Jerusalem" (music by Hubert Parry)  has been used in many films, most notably and ironically in The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962).

• Like 2

Another British hymn --  ranking just below "Jerusalem" in the" important hymns that are practically national anthems" category -- is "I Vow to Thee My Country,"  taken from the "Jupiter" section of Holst's The Planets. The title of the movie (and play) Another Country is from a line in the hymn, which is sung in the film whilst two boys are caught for being "naughty." So the performance -- a beautiful hymn sung by young men -- is similar to the way "Jerusalem" is presented in The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner.

The hymn's meaning is that "Another Country" refers to God's country, i.e. heaven; but in this film, there are two added meanings: homosexuality; and the Soviet Union. The film is loosely based on the early life of Guy Burgess, one of the Cambridge spies.

I believe the following national anthem of Grand Fenwick is played a time or two in the movie The Mouse that Roared. Once as their fearless warriors march off to do battle against the United States of America, and THEN when said fearless warriors return to their homeland victorious!...

(...catchy little tune, ain't it)

12216766-e1547757014878.jpg?quality=100&

This is not a national anthem in film post.   For many years after the 1976 Montreal Olympics the CBC played the Canadian National Anthem when it signed off.  Part of the montage was Greg Joy's Bronze winning high jump at the Olympics.  Bronze.  :lol:  My friends and I used to get quite a laugh out of that.  Yay.  We're number three !!!!

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

I believe the following national anthem of Grand Fenwick is played a time or two in the movie The Mouse that Roared. Once as their fearless warriors march off to do battle against the United States of America, and THEN when said fearless warriors return to their homeland victorious!...

(...catchy little tune, ain't it)

I'll bet there is someone out there who wondered how long it would be until somebody else posted this.  With baseball games now going on in empty stadiums, they got that part wrong.  Some other parts are spot-on.  Not bad for a 45 year old film.
Warning, use of this corporate product may cause sleepiness, delirium, anxiety, suicidal thoughts or intestinal blockage.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I'll bet there is someone out there who wondered how long it would be until somebody else posted this.  With baseball games now going on in empty stadiums, they got that part wrong.  Some other parts are spot-on.  Not bad for a 45 year old film.
Warning, use of this corporate product may cause sleepiness, delirium, anxiety, suicidal thoughts or intestinal blockage.

And until we do have our Rollerball stadiums up again (whatever happened to the Tokyo vs. Houston 2018 finals?...Hous-TON, Hous-TON!), we shall settle for the national anthem played on our great American baseball fields:

• Like 2

I can't find a good clip of the song being performed but "Los Mexicanos al Grito de Guerra" from 1943 is a great movie about the composing of the song.

68710-mexicanos-al-grito-de-guerra-0-230

The British national anthem is sung in a scene from Bob Rafelson's 1990 historical film "Mountains of the Moon." The drama followed the adventures of the 19th-century explorers Sir Richard Francis Burton (Patrick Bergin) and John Hanning Speke ("Game of Thrones" regular Iain Glen) during their search for the source of the Nile River.

9 hours ago, Ray Faiola said:

Well, of course, there's CASABLANCA! And it's dueling-anthems predecessor at Warners, DODGE CITY.

The Casablanca Marseillaise was probably inspired more by this scene in Grand Illusion where the French POWs sing it right in front of their German captors after an important German fort is taken.

• Like 1