Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bachelor in Paradise, 6 PM ET, 08/12

This is a very good pairing of Bob Hope and Lana Turner in a very amusing comedy made in 1961.  Lots of interesting Chrysler cars as well.   Paula Prentiss, Janet Paige and Jim Hutton are in it as well.

20 minutes ago, TheCid said:

This is a very good pairing of Bob Hope and Lana Turner in a very amusing comedy made in 1951.  Lots of interesting Chrysler cars as well.   Paula Prentiss, Janet Paige and Jim Hutton are in it as well.

Yeah, I've always felt it was probably one of Hope's better ones he made toward the latter half of his movie career.

One note here though, Cid. You'll actually see Mopar cars in this movie that were made all the way up to 1961.

(...just my way of sayin' you have the year of the movie's release wrong up there, which I'm sure was just a typo)  ;)

14 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I've always felt it was probably one of Hope's better ones he made toward the latter half of his movie career.

One note here though, Cid. You'll actually see Mopar cars in this movie that were made all the way up to 1961.

(...just my way of sayin' you have the year of the movie's release wrong up there, which I'm sure was just a typo)  ;)

Sorry my error, meant to type 1961 - era of Chrysler land yachts.  Some nice interior shots of some of the cars as well.  Back in the day when everybody drove a convertible?

Maybe I saw a different film from the one getting good reviews on this thread.

I enjoy watching Bob when he was his breezy, younger self with the ladies during the war years. He was eager but often playing the fraidy cat who would finally best his adversaries and win over the girl (be it Dorothy Lamour, Madeliene Carroll or Virginia Mayo).

But by the time he reached his middle years with Bachelor in Paradise all that had changed as he was now the sexually  pursued with all women in the neighbourhood interested in him. Now he's the sexually "hot stuff." The transformation must have pleased Hope's ego but he's not nearly so much fun to watch. Nor can I buy him as cat nip to the ladies.

Give me the young Bob Hope of My Favourite Blonde or The Princess and the Pirate any day over this later version. Of course Hope's films of the '60s were generally dreadful and if Bachelor in Paradise is better than most of them (which it is) that hardly qualifies it as a good film, in my opinion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

I enjoy watching Bob when he was his breezy, younger self with the ladies during the war years. He was eager but often playing the fraidy cat who would finally best his adversaries and win over the girl (be it Dorothy Lamour, Madeliene Carroll or Virginia Mayo).

But by the time he reached his middle years with Bachelor in Paradise all that had changed as he was now the sexually  pursued with all women in the neighbourhood interested in him. Now he's the sexually "hot stuff." The transformation must have pleased Hope's ego but he's not nearly so much fun to watch. Nor can I buy him as cat nip to the ladies.

Give me the young Bob Hope of My Favourite Blonde or The Princess and the Pirate any day over this later version. Of course Hope's films of the '60s were generally dreadful and if Bachelor in Paradise is better than most of them (which it is) that hardly qualifies it as a good film, in my opinion.

Tell ya what, Tom.

When I earlier posted that reply of mine to Cid up there and said, "Yeah, I've always felt it was probably one of Hope's better ones he made toward the latter half of his movie career", two additional thoughts went through my mind but I failed to add either one of 'em to that sentence. They were:

A- ", but that's not sayin' much, of course.

and

B- ", but this movie is certainly never going to be shown as an "Essential".

And so, I'll leave it to you here, ol' buddy. Pick either selection 'A' or 'B' and I'll go up there and edit in the one you prefer.

LOL

(...in other words, yeah, I have to say I pretty much agree with your thoughts about this Bob Hope movie and his movie career in general) ;)

OH, and one OTHER note here, Tom...

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

...Give me the young Bob Hope of My Favourite Blonde or The Princess and the Pirate any day over this later version. Of course Hope's films of the '60s were generally dreadful and if Bachelor in Paradise is better than most of them (which it is) that hardly qualifies it as a good film, in my opinion.

Because the first Bob Hope movie you mentioned here was produced in the good ol' U.S. of A., there was no superfluous letter 'u' in its title.

(...just for the record)  ;)

• Haha 1

OH, and now one MORE note of "interest" regarding this movie, but THIS one is directed to the OP here, Cid.

Now Cid ol' chum, while I fully understand your heightened  interest in the cars manufactured by the Chrysler Corporation during the years this Bob Hope movie was made, I wanna tell ya (as Bob would say) I still think  this 1961 Dodge Polaris featured in said movie is STILL one of THE weirdest lookin' cars to ever come out of Detroit...

BachelorParadise00049.jpg

BachelorParadise00056.jpg

(...this model has always reminded me of a moose...I dunno why, it just has...and ya know what they say about moose, don't ya?..."it's a horse designed by committee"...oh wait, that's a camel, isn't it...okay okay, how about a moose being "a DEER designed by committee"...yeah, that's better) ;)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Dargo said:

Tell ya what, Tom.

When I earlier posted that reply of mine to Cid up there and said, "Yeah, I've always felt it was probably one of Hope's better ones he made toward the latter half of his movie career", two additional thoughts went through my mind but I failed to add either one of 'em to that sentence. They were:

A- ", but that's not sayin' much, of course.

and

B- ", but this movie is certainly never going to be shown as an "Essential".

And so, I'll leave it to you here, ol' buddy. Pick either selection 'A' or 'B' and I'll go up there and edit in the one you prefer.

LOL

(...in other words, yeah, I have to say I pretty much agree with your thoughts about this Bob Hope movie and his movie career in general) ;)

A is my favourite. That answer just drove you crazy, didn't it, Dargo?

tenor.gif?itemid=17289926

• Like 1

I caught this while flipping through stations, wondered what it was. While I love early Bob Hope, turned it off when I recognised Lana Turner as the female lead, she's not one of my favorites. From the comments here, sounds like the cars were the real stars.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Dargo said:

OH, and now one MORE note of "interest" regarding this movie, but THIS one is directed to the OP here, Cid.

Now Cid ol' chum, while I fully understand your heightened  interest in the cars manufactured by the Chrysler Corporation during the years this Bob Hope movie was made, I wanna tell ya (as Bob would say) I still think  this 1961 Dodge Polaris featured in said movie is STILL one of THE weirdest lookin' cars to ever come out of Detroit...

BachelorParadise00049.jpg

BachelorParadise00056.jpg

(...this model has always reminded me of a moose...I dunno why, it just has...and ya know what they say about moose, don't ya?..."it's a horse designed by committee"...oh wait, that's a camel, isn't it...okay okay, how about a moose being "a DEER designed by committee"...yeah, that's better) ;)

I think the word you really want to use is ugly.  For some reason Dodges of 57 to early 60's were just lacking in the styling successes of the Plymouth, De Soto and Chrysler cars.   Actually committees did design cars after getting general concept from the design department heads.  Some individuals designed just the dash, or the grille or the side panels or the trim and so on.

Incidentally, I read somewhere that during this period Chrysler Corp. had a deal where they rented cars to Hollywood movies for a buck a day to just to get them shown off.

I like Bob Hope movies, but I still prefer this one to the others he made.  Admittedly, he was kind of long in the tooth to be chased after by women.  But, not sure he really was chased in this movie.  Only Janis Paige "chases" him and then primarily because she is unhappy with her husband.  Lana Turner actually tries to rebuff him for most of the movie.  The others just turn to him for advice.  He was sort of an experienced author/researcher who could impart his learning to help them.  As he did.

Recently watched The Great American Past Time where Anne Francis played Tom Ewell's wife.  Talk about an age gap.

Regardless, to me Bachelor is an amusing, entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable movie.

• Like 1

Just for the record, since I did dismiss Bachelor in Paradise, I think Hope was co-starred with Paulette Goddard in two of the best spooky comedies made:

cat-and-canary-1939-creepy.png

Cat and the Canary

Ghost-Breakers-wt6cfz.jpg

The Ghost Breakers

Now these are GOOD movies!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Just for the record, since I did dismiss Bachelor in Paradise, I think Hope was co-starred with Paulette Goddard in two of the best spooky comedies made:

cat-and-canary-1939-creepy.png

Cat and the Canary

Ghost-Breakers-wt6cfz.jpg

The Ghost Breakers

Now these are GOOD movies!

Ghost Breakers is another of my favorite Hope movies, but have not seen Cat and the Canary.  Still like Bachelor more, but a lot has to be with the setting (early 60's suburbia), the cars, color, etc.

14 hours ago, TomJH said:

But you see, TOM, that was all part of the joke!  Hope knew he was way past any "prime" he might have had as a Lothario,   And he did get a lot of comic mileage out of the "creepy old lech" act.  Hope's ego?  Well, I've seen so many film clips and live TV performances which were rich in self deprecation and enough generosity in letting anyone on stage with him look good it was hard to imagine him having that big an ego.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

But you see, TOM, that was all part of the joke!  Hope knew he was way past any "prime" he might have had as a Lothario,   And he did get a lot of comic mileage out of the "creepy old lech" act.  Hope's ego?  Well, I've seen so many film clips and live TV performances which were rich in self deprecation and enough generosity in letting anyone on stage with him look good it was hard to imagine him having that big an ego.

Sepiatone

Ding ding ding.  We have a winner!

P.S. Hope being "the bachelor" is part of it, he was just a guy who wanted to be left alone.  The other part was the silly generic 1960s housing and the hordes of unsatisfied housewives living in "paradise".  Within the first few minutes I was hooked.  Mmm.  Cheese.

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Hope was quite the womanizer in real life so casting him as middle aged cat nip would have appealed to his ego, I suspect.

9 hours ago, hamradio said:

For some guys just being a bachelor is paradise. ;)

Yeah, I suppose so ham, but ya know statistically married men live longer.

(...and now this would've been were Alan King would have offered up the punchline, "And so gentlemen, if you're looking for a long slow death, just get married!")  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
22 hours ago, Dargo said:

I have heard it said that a giraffe is a moose designed by a committee. 

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Ding ding ding.  We have a winner!

P.S. Hope being "the bachelor" is part of it, he was just a guy who wanted to be left alone.  The other part was the silly generic 1960s housing and the hordes of unsatisfied housewives living in "paradise".  Within the first few minutes I was hooked.  Mmm.  Cheese.

Its this  "paradise", portrayed in films like this that politicians and others look back to with rose colored glasses, that people promise to go back to. 

I guess if I had Lana Turner living down the street, I might want to go back there too.

But it seemed to be an indictment of the suburban lifestyle. This film is definitely the best Hope film of the 1960’s. His ego was out of control at that point in his life but the movie worked. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I suppose so ham, but ya know statistically married men live longer.

(...and now this would've been were Alan King would have offered up the punchline, "And so gentlemen, if you're looking for a long slow death, just get married!")  ;)

Thought of that gag JAY LENO did on one of his shows.  citing a university study( not a real one of course) said,  "A recent university study found that 62% of married men, when asked, said if they had it to do all over they'd marry the same woman.  And THAT woman is SALMA HAYEK!"  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 2