Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Is The Movie About Man With American Car

I am trying to find the name of a movie.

This movie was from the late 1950s or early 1960s. It took place in Europe, probably Italy. A man acquired an American luxury car from a woman selling it cheap to spite her husband. Because of the car, he was mistakenly assumed to be a person of importance and treated as such.

Is this familiar?

Thanks,

EW

It doesn't really fit your description, but It Started With a Kiss (1959)featured Glenn Ford as an American serviceman in  Europe who won an experimental model American car in a charity auction, which was shipped to Spain. The car caused a sensation wherever he went. But in that case the car definitely didn't come from a woman spiting her husband. 

• Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, HelenBaby2 said:

There’s The Yellow Rolls Royce where the car changed hands a few times, but I’m thinking one of the stories is similar to this. 

Yea,  I looked up this film to refresh my memory and it could be it,  BUT,    a Rolls Royce isn't an American car.

I believe you may be thinking of the 1961 French comedy "Le Belle Americaine" (aka "The American Beauty"). It's about a middle-class French couple who  get a deal on a large, white,  American convertible and their misadventures with it.  I haven't seen it since it was first released but seem to remember it was quite funny.

• Like 1

Mark,

I believe you are right about The American Beauty. I looked up a description of it. It is not exactly as I remember from seeing it about 20 years ago, However, there were other things in the description that sounded familiar, and the departures from my memories are probably errors on my part.  Thank you for solving the mystery.

Helen and James,

I did see The Yellow Rolls Royce a couple of years ago. That is definitely a different movie, but thanks for the input.

EW

6 hours ago, ewmovies said:

Mark,

I believe you are right about The American Beauty. I looked up a description of it. It is not exactly as I remember from seeing it about 20 years ago, However, there were other things in the description that sounded familiar, and the departures from my memories are probably errors on my part.  Thank you for solving the mystery.

Glad I could help.  Memory is a funny thing.   I'm pretty good about remembering movies I've seen decades ago, but just don 't ask me what I had for lunch last Tuesday. .