Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I love the brooch worn by Bergman on her white suit in Casablanca. It was featured in several other Warner Bros movies including Now Voyager and Mildred Pierce. The piece was likely made by Joseff of Hollywood. Does anyone know: Was the brooch all clear stones or multicolored? Is the brooch a bird, a flower or something else?

It helps identification if you post photos. I searched all names/movies but only came up with this:

bergman.png

Is this the brooch you're speaking of? I do not see it on Davis or Crawford in stills of those other movies.  This one pictured looks like all clear crystal stones. Most likely costume made of true European Rhinestones, like Eisenberg or Weiss pieces and probably came with matching clip on drop earrings echoing the drops on the brooch.

16 hours ago, TCMGal said:

I love the brooch worn by Bergman on her white suit in Casablanca. It was featured in several other Warner Bros movies including Now Voyager and Mildred Pierce. The piece was likely made by Joseff of Hollywood. Does anyone know: Was the brooch all clear stones or multicolored? Is the brooch a bird, a flower or something else?

That you would notice something that insignificant is kind of astounding.  Most wouldn't notice or care. Good eye!

Sepiatone

2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Between flower and bird, I'd choose bird.  But not much of a bird.

Actually slayton, I think it looks like the hood ornament on a 1938 DeSoto!

(...yep, I've DEFINITELY been spendin' way too much time in your car thread, dude) 

LOL

;)

From https://www.screenchic.com/post/cinema-sparkle-all-about-joseff-of-hollywood

Another brooch often discussed in Facebook classic-film groups is the abstract crystal piece, a swirl design embellished with drops hanging at different lengths, seen on both Ingrid Bergman in 1942’s Casablanca and Joan Crawford in 1945’s Mildred Pierce. The icon status of those films draws considerable attention to that brooch among fashion-in-film fans, though it may be lost forever, unfortunately. “Back then, if materials were needed for a new piece, an old piece might be broken up — people weren’t thinking about how these pieces might become part of history,” Kristin says, noting that the Marie Antoinette necklace may have met a similar fate. And while a rental system using ledgers was created decades ago, sometimes accidents have prevented accurate tracking. “We have the inventory number for the Casablanca brooch, but [the ledger] with notes for Mildred Pierce sustained water damage, and they’re not legible,” she adds

4 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually slayton, I think it looks like the hood ornament on a 1938 DeSoto!

(...yep, I've DEFINITELY been spendin' way too much time in your car thread, dude) 

LOL

;)

It's impossible to spend too much time on my threads.  They are sober, edifying, and nutritious.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

It's impossible to spend too much time on my threads.  They are sober, edifying, and nutritious.

I only laughed at your reply up there slayton because it was so clever, THOUGH perhaps a little immodest. ;)

But in essence, you are correct.

(...as the threads you start DO generally tend to be those very things, and ofttimes quite entertaining too)