Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Today at TCM SUTS is WARREN BEATTY day.  Ech.  Except for BONNIE AND CLYDE I don't like looking at him, listening to him, or most of his movies.  There are two or three exceptions, I cited one, but WARREN BEATTY is a turn-off for my movie watching. 

Tell us about one actor at a time that you do not care for. 

• Like 4
40 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Today at TCM SUTS is WARREN BEATTY day.  Ech.  Except for BONNIE AND CLYDE I don't like looking at him, listening to him, or most of his movies.  There are two or three exceptions, I cited one, but WARREN BEATTY is a turn-off for my movie watching. 

Tell us about one actor at a time that you do not care for. 

You didn't think Warren was a least a little charming in his remake of Here Comes Mister Jordan...1978's Heaven Can Wait, Allhallows???

(...to tell ya the truth, I've also not been a big fan of his over the years as I've always thought a shot of his face would be perfectly placed next to the word "smug" in the dictionary, BUT I always thought he was also pretty good in THAT one too, anyway)

• Haha 1

I don't like one actor,my dislike of him is so extensive that I have neither said nor written his name for about 30 years. He did appear, though, in Room at the Top and The Manchurian Candidate so I guess you know who this cold stuffed shirt is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

his remake of Here Comes Mister Jordan...1978's Heaven Can Wait, Allhallows???

That would be one of the exceptions I mentioned.  Another might be SHAMPOO

1 minute ago, TomJH said:

I don't like one actor,my dislike of him is so extensive that I have neither said nor written his name for about 30 years. He did appear, though, in Room at the Top and The Manchurian Candidate so I guess you know who this cold stuffed shirt is.

LAURENCE HARVEY tops my list of actors I do NOT like. 

Boy, I knew Warren Beatty would be the first person mentioned in this thread.

I have to say I enjoyed Liev Schreiber doing a really good impersonation of the actor whose name you shall not mention in the remake.

• Like 2

Okay, and NOW other than Warren baby here...

The actor who first comes to MY mind in this regard would be "Mister Tough Guy"...George Raft.

(...and basically because he JUST COULDN'T ACT!!!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mickey Rooney.  I do not understand his appeal.  He doesn't even make up for his obnoxious screen personality by being attractive.  He is not attractive in the slightest.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, TomJH said:

When I saw Allhallows' thread here Tom, I immediately thought of you and the guy who shall remain nameless here.

(...and come to think of it, like I said about Warren up there, they could ALSO easily put THIS guy's picture next to the word "smug" in the dictionary TOO, huh!)  ;)

15 minutes ago, Dargo said:

When I saw Allhallows' thread here Tom, I immediately thought of you and the guy who shall remain nameless here.

(...and come to think of it, like I said about Warren up there, they could ALSO easily put THIS guy's picture next to the word "smug" in the dictionary TOO, huh!)  ;)

He's been named and I think he belongs next to the word "smarmy" in the dictionary. 

Just now, Allhallowsday said:

He's been named and I think he belongs next to the word "smarmy" in the dictionary. 

Yeah, "smarmy" would be a good word to have Lauren...ahem...I mean the actor who shall remain nameless's picture next to in the dictionary too, I suppose. ;)

Although yet again, I wonder if Zachary Scott's picture might be even better placed next to that word.

(...and who, for the record, I like in most cases...especially when he plays the smarmy type, because he was so good at it)

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Actor;  George Raft

Actress;   June Allyson

I never saw what Dick Powell saw in June Allyson. For that matter, I never saw what MGM saw in June Allyson. 

As for George Raft, poor guy, if you ever read his autobiography the whole thing should be renamed "Don't Let This Happen To You". He was married one night to a woman who would not give him a divorce and he was on the hook for 46 years of spousal support.  He turned down key roles in the early 40s that made Bogart a star. When he ended his contract with Warner Bros. and Jack Warner named a figure, Raft whipped out his checkbook and thought that was what he owed Warner Bros. when it was the other way around. Jack Warner did not correct his misinterpretation. And so on. 

• Like 2

Bob Hope. I get tired of his one-liners after a while.

I've never been a fan of Norma Shearer and Tyrone Power, but I can still enjoy some of their movies. Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy on the other hand, are two performers that I never liked, and it also has something to do with the kind of movies they made.

Of today's actors, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, and Leonardo DiCaprio come to mind.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, LsDoorMat said:

I never saw what Dick Powell saw in June Allyson. For that matter, I never saw what MGM saw in June Allyson. 

As for George Raft, poor guy, if you ever read his autobiography the whole thing should be renamed "Don't Let This Happen To You". He was married one night to a woman who would not give him a divorce and he was on the hook for 46 years of spousal support.  He turned down key roles in the early 40s that made Bogart a star. When he ended his contract with Warner Bros. and Jack Warner named a figure, Raft whipped out his checkbook and thought that was what he owed Warner Bros. when it was the other way around. Jack Warner did not correct his misinterpretation. And so on. 

I don't feel sorry for Raft because,  based on what I read all of these poor choices where made by him and many were because he had an realistic view of himself.   Instead of feeling lucky he was able to fool Warner Bro producers into signing him to a 7 year contract,     he got arrogant,  and started refusing roles.     Granted no one could  have predicted that some of these roles would have turned out to be so popular,   but did he even make a effort to find out?   E.g.  asked to read Huston's Maltese Falcon script and talked to Huston about his plans for his first film?    And so on.

As for Allyson;  Yea,  I don't know what anyone at MGM saw in her.   While one can say she was multi-talented,   she was also so-so talented as it comes to singing,  dancing and acting.    But hey she had a fine career and for that she deserves a lot of credit.

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Thanks for keeping him nameless, Dargo. That's the 'I refuse to say this turkey's name" spirit!

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Thanks for keeping him nameless, Dargo. That's the 'I refuse to say this turkey's name" spirit!

You're welcome, Tom. Ya know, ever since I learned of your extreme dislike for Laurence Harvey I've tried to not....

WHOOPS!!!

(...slowly Tom turns...step by step...)

slowly+i+turned+2.jpg

;)

Just now, Dargo said:

You're welcome, Tom. Ya know, ever since I discovered your extreme dislike for Laurence Harvey I've tried to not....

WHOOPS!!!

(...slowly Tom turns...step by step...)

;)

Now you spoiled it! Nevertheless, alone as I may be, I shall proudly continue to refuse to either say or write the name of this actor who brings with him the same delirious joy as a trip to the dentist.

• Haha 1