Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actors you do not like

16 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok.   No need to use block caps.

I'm a huge fan of Woody Allen's work.  I should also note that I'm not particularly "woke" or PC or whatever the going term is.  However, having seen I think all of Allen's films over the years, I have noticed that there are almost no Black people or in fact any non-white people in his  movies. Very few, and they tend to be maids, etc.   And I suspect my friend TikiSoo was joking when she said  "Maybe because there are so few people of colour in NYC ?"

I realize a filmmaker tends to make films that reflect the world they live in (ok, scratch that, not always...)   And I guess the world Woody Allen lived in was predominantly white. Perhaps it would have been a bit too self-conscious or artificial of him to introduce Black characters into his stories if in his real life milieau he did not encounter people of colour. An exception I can think of is Melinda and Melinda (2004), in which a Black man , ( Chiwetel Ejiofor) ,  a jazz pianist as I recall, has a romance with the Melinda character. But even then, he's not the main character.

Writers tend to tell the stories they know.  Same with filmmakers.  If you want to see black casts and stories, then don't look for Woody Allen or Martin Scorcese to tell them.... or John Ford or Alfred Hitchcock, or David Lean or Federico Fellini or Tennessee Williams, or Truman Capote or Sydney Pollack, ad nauseum.

I'm surprised nobody's as yet mentioned Katharine Hepburn.  I've never been a big fan, although I won't let the fact that I sometimes find her irritating stop me from watching a movie she's in, if it's a movie I want to see.

She has an annoying, "Oh my dear, I'm too, too, wonderful" quality about her.  I guess I'm as bad as  the same as everybody else here when it comes to actors I don't like- sometimes it's just an indefinable something about them that rubs you the wrong way.  Katharine Hepburn just always struck me as someone who really fancied herself.

Still, she's been in many films that I've enjoyed.  I always thought she was perfect, and very funny, in Bringing Up Baby.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Writers tend to tell the stories they know.  Same with filmmakers.  If you want to see black casts and stories, then don't look for Woody Allen or Martin Scorcese to tell them.... or John Ford or Alfred Hitchcock, or David Lean or Federico Fellini or Tennessee Williams, or Truman Capote or Sydney Pollack, ad nauseum.

Right.  As I said.    I kind of wonder if you read my post thoroughly.  I get the feeling you might just want to argue about this, and I've no desire to argue, especially as there's nothing for you and I to argue about.  There always seems to be a "you must be on this side or the other" stand  in these kinds of discussions, and I'm on neither, I recognize both "sides" have a point.  If I wanted to engage in these kinds of conversations, I'd be on wretched Twitter.

Anyway, please re-read what I've bolded in my own comment below, and you will see that I completely acknowledge what you say.

32 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Ok.   No need to use block caps.

I'm a huge fan of Woody Allen's work.  I should also note that I'm not particularly "woke" or PC or whatever the going term is.  However, having seen I think all of Allen's films over the years, I have noticed that there are almost no Black people or in fact any non-white people in his  movies. Very few, and they tend to be maids, etc.   And I suspect my friend TikiSoo was joking when she said  "Maybe because there are so few people of colour in NYC ?"

I realize a filmmaker tends to make films that reflect the world they live in (ok, scratch that, not always...)   And I guess the world Woody Allen lived in was predominantly white. Perhaps it would have been a bit too self-conscious or artificial of him to introduce Black characters into his stories if in his real life milieau he did not encounter people of colour. An exception I can think of is Melinda and Melinda (2004), in which a Black man , ( Chiwetel Ejiofor) ,  a jazz pianist as I recall, has a romance with the Melinda character. But even then, he's not the main character.

• Like 2

I think some people in the thread are confusing disliked performers with good movies. These are not synonymous things, obviously.

It is possible for someone to like a certain film, but not like some of the cast. Just because Person X is in well-known and well-loved Movie X doesn't guarantee a viewer will like that performer any better. In their view, they might regard that performer as the weakest part of a great film.

I am mentioning this because there seems to be some bloviating that's going on in the thread, about "how can you not like X because they were in a lot of classic movies like X Y and Z."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think some people in the thread are confusing disliked performers with good movies. These are not synonymous things, obviously.

It is possible for someone to like a certain film, but not like some of the cast. Just because Person X is in well-known and well-loved Movie X doesn't guarantee a viewer will like that performer any better. In their view, they might regard that performer as the weakest part of a great film.

I am mentioning this because there seems to be some bloviating that's going on in the thread, about "how can you not like X because they were in a lot of classic movies like X Y and Z.

I get the feeling from many of the posts I've read here dissing actors that often the posters have not seen much of the work of the actor they're dissing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I'm surprised nobody's as yet mentioned Katharine Hepburn.  I've never been a big fan, although I won't let the fact that I sometimes find her irritating stop me from watching a movie she's in, if it's a movie I want to see.

She has an annoying, "Oh my dear, I'm too, too, wonderful" quality about her.  I guess I'm as bad as  the same as everybody else here when it comes to actors I don't like- sometimes it's just an indefinable something about them that rubs you the wrong way.  Katharine Hepburn just always struck me as someone who really fancied herself.

Still, she's been in many films that I've enjoyed.  I always thought she was perfect, and very funny, in Bringing Up Baby.

Katharine Hepburn's air of self-confidence is one of the reasons that I like her! I also love how she speaks.  With that said, in a role where she isn't confident, like Alice Adams, she is even more endearing to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
17 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I realize I'm being a bit of a contrarian here...

Yes.

14 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Do you need to say why what?  Why you don't like her?  Of course you do.  

Not sure I understand the need to "cross-examine" other posters who are respectfully submitting their opinions and staying on topic.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I get the feeling from many of the posts I've read here dissing actors that often the posters have not seen much of the work of the actor they're dissing.  

That's awfully tough to prove. You may be correct, but it is also possible that each time they've seen that person on screen they were left cold or unmoved. No matter how many films they've seen featuring that person.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I recently watched THE IRON PETTICOAT (1956) with Hepburn playing a Cold War Era Ninotchka who defects to the East and is "romanced" by Bob Hope! Possibly the WORST roles and performances by both stars. A kittenish 40-something Hepburn in French lace and red garters purring for a paunchy Hope (ad-libbing wildly) is not a spectacle to be savored. This "teaming" must rank as one of the great disasters ... among top stars.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Remember, if you dislike an actor, the chances of you watching another of their films is greatly diminished.

49 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I am mentioning this because there seems to be some bloviating that's going on in the thread, about "how can you not like X because they were in a lot of classic movies like X Y and Z."

I've seen films that starred my favorite actors and didn't care for the film itself. It does happen. Sometimes the chemistry just isn't there.

I take stars and films on a case by case basis. I end up loving films that didn't gain much success or popularity.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, GGGGerald said:

I've seen films that starred my favorite actors and didn't care for the film itself. It does happen. Sometimes the chemistry just isn't there.

I take stars and films on a case by case basis. I end up loving films that didn't gain much success or popularity.

The other thing to keep in mind is that stars are often presented differently (cast against type, with make-up, hair and lighting slightly different) when they are loaned out to another studio. Or if they end their association with the home studio and start to freelance, they may try new things to keep their movie careers going. So it is possible to like someone in their earlier roles or their roles at the home studio, but not care for their other output.

As you suggest, it's best to observe performers and films on a case-by-case basis. But also it doesn't take a genius to figure out if there's a performance style or type of movie that just isn't your cup of tea!

SCREEN.jpeg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

"Bloviating"!  Good word.  😀

You're right; for example I don't like WARREN BEATTY but I LOVE BONNIE & CLYDE.  I also don't like RYAN O'NEAL but I love BARRY LYNDON

Conversely, I love JULIE ANDREWS but kind of love hating on THE SOUND OF MUSIC... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/19/2020 at 10:00 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

THAT'S RIGHT! I forgot all about the HOWARD HUGHES romantic comedy he did.

went to wiki- it cost $25 million and made $3.

EDIT- it made three million dollars, not three dollars. still ATE IT pretty hard though.

LOL.. 3 dollars sounds better.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Any of these guys. What an unfunny show.

340?cb=20191020185218

I like the episode where Lily is discovered by a fashion designer and he hires her to model for him because "she seems to float on air...!"  And Lily responds "Like this?" and starts to float... 🤣

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Any of these guys. What an unfunny show.

340?cb=20191020185218

Never cared for this show. But, I'll wait for the "Name a TV show you don't like" thread for that.

I did think it was funny when Herman tried out for the Dodgers (I think), and he hit the ball so hard , the players ran off of the field.

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Another bunch of unfavorites: Robert Montgomery, Eddie Bracken, Abbot & Costello, Mia Farrow, Halle Berry, Rex Harrison (already mentioned), Chevy Chase, and all singing cowboys.

Comics like Chevy, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler etc... I like them in small doses. I like them best when they aren't the main star.

That's one of my issues with Saturday Night Live in general. They tend to take a 30 second joke and stretch it out for minutes. And it becomes tedious

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Ditto Mia Farrow (liked her mother though).  I liked Yvonne D. and Fred G.  Munsters wasn't as good as The Addams Family.

Once I found out Yvonne Di Carlo had such a movie career, I have really enjoyed her films lately. I just knew her from that show.

• Like 2

wikipedia:Bloviation is a style of empty, pompous, political speech which originated in Ohio and was used by US President Warren G. Harding, who described it as "the art of speaking for as long as the occasion warrants, and saying nothing".[1] His opponent, William Gibbs McAdoo, described "the impression of an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea."

If someone was passive-aggressively referring to me being guilty of this behaviour,  they  were using the word inaccurately and  clearly just wanted to be insulting. While sometimes my posts on these boards have been quite long, yes,  I have to say in my own defence that   1) I usually do that when I'm discussing, in depth, a specific film , usually on the Noir Alley thread, sometimes on the "I Just Watched" thread.  And they may be longish, but they're not empty  (one of the features of "bloviating".) 2)  All of my posts on this particular thread have been relatively short. 3)Everyone likes that word, "bloviate".  I agree, it's kind of a fun-sounding word.  But it's also a word that people only use when they wish to be insulting.

• Thanks 2
On 8/22/2020 at 1:44 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Sep-- You have good taste in music and films.

But I have to say oh, and I think you'll agree with me:

You're not a woman.

I hope not, else I'd have to find out what's up with this BEARD I've had the last 46 years.  ;) 

But of course, my WIFE was a woman and didn't care for him all that much either.

Sepiatone