Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

I think, if we're going to have a thread about actors we don't like,  or for that matter, one about actors we do like,   it's more fun and interesting and engaging for us to say why we like or don't like a particular actor.  It's too easy and not particularly interesting to say,  "I don't like Actor X.  I don't really know why, he just annoys me."  That doesn't tell me anything about either the actor or the poster who doesn't like them.  If you say,  "I don't like Actor X because they have annoying mannerisms, it feels contrived to me"  or whatever, that gives us some reason to understand why they feel that way about the actor; it just makes for more interesting reading on the thread.  I think most people here are thoughtful enough to figure out why they don't like an actor, and articulate enough to express it. 

 I don't want anyone to accuse me of  "making the rules" for a thread I didn't even start, I"m not. Just giving my take on what makes a thread like this fun for me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

"Bloviating"!  Good word. 

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

...I love JULIE ANDREWS but kind of love hating on THE SOUND OF MUSIC... 

In my view she is overly identified with THE SOUND OF MUSIC (though I can understand why). I am a fan of Andrews' musical style. But I consider Eleanor Parker the true dramatic force of the film, since everything that Maria and the kids do is in reaction to her character. And without Parker's solid performance, the story would lack impetus.

As for Miss Andrews' overall movie resume, I love THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY. But my favorite film of hers is THE TAMARIND SEED. I enjoy seeing her step out of her comfort zone to do a story about political intrigue with handsome Omar Sharif. And it's bolstered by those excellent on-location scenes in the Caribbean. Not to mention fine support from Sylvia Syms and Dan O'Herlihy. It's something I can watch over and over.

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 3.08.08 PM.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Shelly Winters and I can definitely say that it wasn't from her films but from watching her obnoxious appearances on late night TV, especially The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. 😎  

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

As for Miss Andrews' overall movie resume, I love THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY. But my favorite film of hers is THE TAMARIND SEED. I enjoy seeing her step out of her comfort zone to do a story about political intrigue with handsome Omar Sharif. And it's bolstered by those excellent on-location scenes in the Caribbean. Not to mention fine support from Sylvia Syms and Dan O'Herlihy. It's something I can watch over and over.

I'm always down for OMAR SHARIF.  He's a favorite.  I also like AMERICANIZATION but my own favorite film for JULIE ANDREWS  is VICTOR/VICTORIA

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I like Allen. I like that he pays homages to people and styles of bygone eras.

But, I have not and will not give him one penny of my money as long as he refuses to cast people in him films who look like me. The past is one thing but, this is 2020, there is no excuse now for not being diverse in casting.

You're likely to have a very long wait. I haven't seen many of his recent flicks, as they do not show up at the

local cinema, so I'm referring to another era. If his films have changed to a great degree over the last ten

years, disregard what I say. His films at that time seem to follow a formula--a group of upper class NYC

intellectuals with various strange relationship problems. Add witty repartee, some tunes from the great

American songbook and some well designed gauzy shots of NYC and voila, you've got the latest Woody Allen

movie. And as there is little diversity in casting color, there is little diversity in class. Not too many working stiffs

in the main roles. Still I find most of these films entertaining, even when they start to dip into self-caricature. 

It's what I expect in an Allen film, just as I know what to expect in a teen sex comedy. I've suspected that Allen

probably shouldn't be putting out a new movie every year. You're no Fassbinder, baby. :)

 

A Woodman film set in Casper, Wyoming. Now that's something I'd like to see.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I'm always down for OMAR SHARIF.  He's a favorite.  I also like AMERICANIZATION but my own favorite film for JULIE ANDREWS  is VICTOR/VICTORIA

THE TAMARIND SEED is currently on Amazon Prime. It was released on home video by the Shout Factory.

screen-shot-2019-05-26-at-1.31.21-pm.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TopBilled said:

THE TAMARIND SEED is currently on Amazon Prime. It was released on home video by the Shout Factory.

screen-shot-2019-05-26-at-1.31.21-pm.jpeg

I know the film.  I truly love the principles, meaning he and she.  I watched OMAR SHARIF the other day in MORE THAN A MIRACLE (1967) with SOPHIA LOREN, had to see both ...a strange fantasy that I loved. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey. I know people think he's funny, but like Will Ferrel;l I usually avoid his movies. I've heard THE TRUMAN SHOW is great. I've never seen it. Maybe I should give it a try.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey. I know people think he's funny, but like Will Ferrel;l I usually avoid his movies. I've heard THE TRUMAN SHOW is great. I've never seen it. Maybe I should give it a try.

What about MAN ON THE MOON? That one has a good score on the IMDb. It's one of Carrey's most lauded performances.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125664/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

What about MAN ON THE MOON? That one has a good score on the IMDb. It's one of Carrey's most lauded performances.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125664/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I respect Carrey. He's a zany comedian. But, he can do other types of comedy, and some non comic parts. Not just the same shtick time after time. TB mentioned Man On The Moon but, also The Truman Show was another type of role. He's also done drama.

I didn't list Steve Martin for the same reason. He didn't just do The Jerk over and over. He branched into other types of roles and movies. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Pennies From Heaven are two favorites of mine, for example.

Jerry Lewis (whom I don't care for), To me did the same act over and over. And once it wore thin in the 1970's, he really didn't have a direction to go. But, when he did serious roles such as The King Of Comedy and the TV show Wiseguy, I thought he was very good and should have continued in that direction.

Whoopie Goldberg is another example where I really like her acting but, don't care for her comedy.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I respect Carrey. He's a zany comedian. But, he can do other types of comedy, and some non comic parts. Not just the same shtick time after time. TB mentioned Man On The Moon but, also The Truman Show was another type of role. He's also done drama.

I didn't list Steve Martin for the same reason. He didn't just do The Jerk over and over. He branched into other types of roles and movies. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Pennies From Heaven are two favorites of mine, for example.

Jerry Lewis (whom I don't care for), To me did the same act over and over. And once it wore thin in the 1970's, he really didn't have a direction to go. But, when he did serious roles such as The King Of Comedy and the TV show Wiseguy, I thought he was very good and should have continued in that direction.

Whoopie Goldberg is another example where I really like her acting but, don't care for her comedy.

The garment trade arc on WiseGuy was my favorite one on the series, in large part due to how well Jerry Lewis worked with Ron Silver. Lewis was a fine dramatic actor when he put his mind to it.

As for Steve Martin, I am fond of BOWFINGER (1999) which I consider a brilliant satire on Hollywood and Scientology.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

wikipedia:Bloviation is a style of empty, pompous, political speech which originated in Ohio and was used by US President Warren G. Harding, who described it as "the art of speaking for as long as the occasion warrants, and saying nothing".[1] His opponent, William Gibbs McAdoo, described "the impression of an army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea."

 

If someone was passive-aggressively referring to me being guilty of this behaviour,  they  were using the word inaccurately and  clearly just wanted to be insulting. While sometimes my posts on these boards have been quite long, yes,  I have to say in my own defence that   1) I usually do that when I'm discussing, in depth, a specific film , usually on the Noir Alley thread, sometimes on the "I Just Watched" thread.  And they may be longish, but they're not empty  (one of the features of "bloviating".) 2)  All of my posts on this particular thread have been relatively short. 3)Everyone likes that word, "bloviate".  I agree, it's kind of a fun-sounding word.  But it's also a word that people only use when they wish to be insulting.

Hey, I for one did not presume the reference was to your posts but we agree it is a fun word.  You're good.  :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

I respect Carrey. He's a zany comedian. But, he can do other types of comedy, and some non comic parts. Not just the same shtick time after time. TB mentioned Man On The Moon but, also The Truman Show was another type of role. He's also done drama.

I didn't list Steve Martin for the same reason. He didn't just do The Jerk over and over. He branched into other types of roles and movies. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and Pennies From Heaven are two favorites of mine, for example.

Jerry Lewis (whom I don't care for), To me did the same act over and over. And once it wore thin in the 1970's, he really didn't have a direction to go. But, when he did serious roles such as The King Of Comedy and the TV show Wiseguy, I thought he was very good and should have continued in that direction.

Whoopie Goldberg is another example where I really like her acting but, don't care for her comedy.

I think this point of yours here Gerald is an excellent one. I too have been pleasantly surprised in the past to discover much more skill and talent exhibited by zany or "rubber-faced" comedians such as you've mentioned above, and after they've attempted a dramatic role.

You mentioned Steve Martin up there for instance, and I first remember being impressed with his ability in this regard the first time I watched the film Parenthood years ago.

And while I haven't seen it, even Adam Sandler received glowing reviews for his performance in the recent drama Uncut Gems, as you probably know.

(...and so once again, nice point here, Gerald)

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I hope not, else I'd have to find out what's up with this BEARD I've had the last 46 years.  ;) 

But of course, my WIFE was a woman and didn't care for him all that much either.

Sepiatone

Sep--

I never pictured you with a beard. I guess that gives me a whole new outlook on you. But I always liked Smith Brothers a little better than Luden's anyway.:)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UMO1982 said:

Ditto Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell and add Will Smith.

I can see Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell in the rejected group,  but what the frig's wrong with Will Smith? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Okay, did my post in this thread disappear? I did utter blasphemies against certain studio-era stars, but...?

Polly, I hope you don't 'mind, but I went on your "Profile" page to see what comment you'd posted on this thread.  I just did it because I am sympathetic to the feeling of posting something that gets no response, which is what you seemed to be wondering about.  Anyway, your profile page shows no posts whatsoever by you on this thread.  It does show something you posted on another thread with a slightly similar title, so maybe that's the thread you were thinking about ?  Here's a link to that thread:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

I respect Carrey. He's a zany comedian. But, he can do other types of comedy, and some non comic parts. Not just the same shtick time after time. TB mentioned Man On The Moon .....

 

Can I use the reference to Man On the Moon to post the eponymous song here?  I realize it's a bit off-topic, but it's such a good song.  Ah, the days of REM.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks.

In my view she is overly identified with THE SOUND OF MUSIC (though I can understand why). I am a fan of Andrews' musical style. But I consider Eleanor Parker the true dramatic force of the film, since everything that Maria and the kids do is in reaction to her character. And without Parker's solid performance, the story would lack impetus.

As for Miss Andrews' overall movie resume, I love THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY. But my favorite film of hers is THE TAMARIND SEED. I enjoy seeing her step out of her comfort zone to do a story about political intrigue with handsome Omar Sharif. And it's bolstered by those excellent on-location scenes in the Caribbean. Not to mention fine support from Sylvia Syms and Dan O'Herlihy. It's something I can watch over and over.

Screen Shot 2019-06-25 at 3.08.08 PM.jpeg

And Parker's role in the film was watered down considerably compared to the stage musical. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, txfilmfan said:

And Parker's role in the film was watered down considerably compared to the stage musical. 

Eleanor Parker had long-term contracts at three major studios-- Warners, MGM and 20th Century Fox. And she seemed to excel at each studio.

She should have had an Oscar.

Not long ago I watched her in a 1972 TV movie called "Home for the Holidays." She plays an unmarried woman, past her prime, who uses a family reunion at Christmastime to kill her younger sisters. She had been stuck at home for years looking after their domineering father, while the other ones were off enjoying their freedom. Her character had become very resentful, very embittered. She gives a chilling performance.

I think Parker was gutsier than a lot of actresses from her generation. She could play glamorous gentlewomen but she could also play cold-hearted snakes, and she's convincing in all of these roles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Eleanor Parker had long-term contracts at three major studios-- Warners, MGM and 20th Century Fox. And she seemed to excel at each studio.

She should have had an Oscar.

Not long ago I watched her in a 1972 TV movie called "Home for the Holidays." She plays an unmarried woman, past her prime, who uses a family reunion at Christmastime to kill her younger sisters. She had been stuck at home for years looking after their domineering father, while the other ones were off enjoying their freedom. Her character had become very resentful, very embittered. She gives a chilling performance.

I think Parker was gutsier than a lot of actresses from her generation. She could play glamorous gentlewomen but she could also play cold-hearted snakes, and she's convincing in all of these roles.

Agree.  Compare Caged to The Sound of Music.  As a kid, I was only familiar with her from TSOM.  I had seen Caged a couple of times on broadcast TV, but I never realized it was the same actress in both films until I was in my thirties.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...