Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Eleanor Parker had long-term contracts at three major studios-- Warners, MGM and 20th Century Fox. And she seemed to excel at each studio.

She should have had an Oscar.

Not long ago I watched her in a 1972 TV movie called "Home for the Holidays." She plays an unmarried woman, past her prime, who uses a family reunion at Christmastime to kill her younger sisters. She had been stuck at home for years looking after their domineering father, while the other ones were off enjoying their freedom. Her character had become very resentful, very embittered. She gives a chilling performance.

I think Parker was gutsier than a lot of actresses from her generation. She could play glamorous gentlewomen but she could also play cold-hearted snakes, and she's convincing in all of these roles.

Funny, but another name I was thinking of posting in this thread's "alter ego", Tiki's "Actors You Didn't Like...But Changed Your Mind", was that of Eleanor Parker's.

For years I always thought of her as only playing weak, clingy and whinny women, but a few years back she got a SOTM treatment, and after watching many more of her films and where she didn't play that type, I had to reassess my opinion of her.

(...guess I don't have to bother posting this in Tiki's thread now, huh)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS (1972) is on YouTube.

Sally Field plays the youngest sister.

Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 8.14.40 PM

Yeah, and it looks like Jessica Walter (OOOH, did I always think she was sexy as hell...well, except of course in Play Misty For Me  ;) ) played another of the sisters.

(...so who's the one in the middle?)

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, and it looks like Jessica Walter (OOOH, did I always think she was sexy as hell...well, except of course in Play Misty For Me  ;) ) played another of the sisters.

(...so who's the one in the middle?)

The gal in the middle is Jill Haworth a British actress. 

Julie Harris is also in the movie, playing the widowed stepmother we are supposed to think is the killer (until it is later revealed that Parker's character is the culprit).

The father is played by Walter Brennan, in one of his final screen roles. His part is basically an extended cameo. He dies of old age around the 15-minute mark, then we see the sisters getting bumped off.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The gal in the middle is Jill Haworth a British actress. 

Julie Harris is also in the movie, playing the widowed stepmother we are supposed to think is the killer (until it is later revealed that Parker's character is the culprit).

The father is played by Walter Brennan, in one of his final screen roles. His part is basically an extended cameo. He dies of old age around the 15-minute mark, then we see the sisters getting bumped off.

Oh yeah, I remember Jill Haworth.

(...don't remember her being a brunette, though)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

I remember Jill Haworth too. She was in "Cabaret" on Broadway.

Well, in 1964 she had a real hot International moment of Fame when Paul McCartney romanced her during the Beatles first American tour and debut on  "The Ed Sullivan Show" in New York City.

Boy, that was a long time ago.

• Like 1
On 8/21/2020 at 12:23 PM, Bogie56 said:

289371.jpg

When he is trying to be funny, Hugh Herbert ruins just about everything he is in.  IMO, of course.

He can certainly be annoying but I guess I have a higher tolerance for him than you do. I expecially like him as the millionaire snuff-box collector in one of the gold diggers films. I don't remember which one. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, kidtwist29 said:

He can certainly be annoying but I guess I have a higher tolerance for him than you do. I expecially like him as the millionaire snuff-box collector in one of the gold diggers films. I don't remember which one. 

I saw Hugh Herbert in the 1932 Richard Dix, The Lost Squadron and I thought, "oh no, here we go" but was surprised that his part was a dramatic one and in that he was tolerable.  IMO, of course.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dargo said:

In the photo I posted, I think Haworth is wearing a black head wrap. She's a blonde in the movie.

HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS was an Aaron Spelling production. Spelling cast Haworth in a few of his other projects.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Okay, did my post in this thread disappear? I did utter blasphemies against certain studio-era stars, but...?

I believe your post was pulled because it involved body shaming. To feel that it should have remained in the thread is mind-boggling.

11 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

Cornel Wilde is another stiff fish of an actor. Never liked him but he was in some otherwise good films.

When Alec Baldwin was co-hosting TCM's Essentials for a few seasons, I remember he didn't care for Cornel Wilde. After a screening of LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, he said Wilde was doing all the stereotypical leading man posturing, something to that effect. Robert Osborne, who chose the film probably because he was such a fan of Gene Tierney, was a bit offended. Osborne's rebuttal was that Wilde later proved himself as a director which Baldwin conceded was true. But Baldwin definitely did not care for Wilde's acting. 

In the same segment Baldwin also took a jab at Tierney saying she had a Zen (unemotional) presence on camera. Osborne never chose another Gene Tierney movie to discuss with Baldwin!

Screen Shot 2020-02-03 at 5.58.50 PM.jpeg

• Thanks 3

I agree..... Wilde had zero warmth or humor about him. How he ever got an Oscar nomination for A Song to Remember is a mystery. That gypsy movie he made with Jane Russell, Hot Blood, is godawful unwatchable.

3 minutes ago, UMO1982 said:

I agree..... Wilde had zero warmth or humor about him. How he ever got an Oscar nomination for A Song to Remember is a mystery. That gypsy movie he made with Jane Russell, Hot Blood, is godawful unwatchable.

Maybe Harry Cohn put some studio muscle in action, to get Wilde the nomination. Paul Muni is the best thing in A SONG TO REMEMBER.

My favorite Cornel Wilde movie, which I think was the first one he directed, is STORM FEAR (1955).

Cornell Wilde dated my Mom's friend's sister.  Don't know any more than that.  Isn't Wilde also in Forever Amber with Linda Darnell?

Cornell Wilde has a bit part in High Sierra (one of my favorite Bogey films - Bogey, Ida, and the dog).

I think I already mentioned Greta Gerwig for several reasons.

I like Fran Drescher, but that voice is annoying.  Also, that little kid in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (annoying).

14 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I can see Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell in the rejected group,  but what the frig's wrong with Will Smith? 

I can't figure that either.  I liked some of his stuff, since he never did stick strictly to comedy, I thought he was brilliant in THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS ('06)  And to be fair, I did, do and still like Adam Sandler's THE WEDDING SINGER('98) but nothing really before that or after.

And have yet to see anything I like Ferrell in.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kidtwist29 said:

It's "Gold Diggers of 1935" with one of Busby Berkeley's greatest tap dance production numbers: "The Lullaby of Broadway".

• Like 1
1 hour ago, UMO1982 said:

I'm not a fan of Cornel Wilde either. However, to give the bland devil his due, he did an excellent job as both actor and director when he made THE NAKED PREY in 1965. (Not only that, but the man was in shape, too).

20180382048_b922fed4f6_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going to respond to this question with my time-worn "I despise these actors"  (Shelly Winters, James Dean) rant,  but in honor of Lawrence Olivier Day I have to say I cannot stand Olivier, nor any performance he has ever given.  He never fails to convey "pretentious, over-acting phony" to me each time he appears on screen.  Don't get him, never will.

• Thanks 2
On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 10:48 AM, Dargo said:

Got another here. And, another case of what always seemed to me to be that the guy was hired because of his looks, but it's soon discovered he JUST CAN'T ACT, but somehow is still given roles in pictures for years more.

THIS guy. James Craig, aka "The Poor Man's Clark Gable"...

75e9b89e198f848649926510d30edc7b.jpg

(...and whose line readings in movies were usually as bad, as stiff, and as unbelievable as George Raft's)

I think he got arrested in the 50's  a woman beater.

7 minutes ago, nakano said:

I think he got arrested in the 50's  a woman beater.

Yep, after just now checking his Wiki bio page, it seems you're right about this, nakano.

(...and so yet ANOTHER reason for me not to like the guy, other than because HE JUST COULDN'T ACT!!!)  ;)

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 1:32 PM, Janet0312 said:

Orson Welles. I cannot stand him. Why? I don't know. I just never could. So I am probably one of the only people around here that hasn't seen Citizen Kane.

i like Welles but he cheated on Dolores Del Rio ,who loved him very much and was a magnificent woman, i know i must separate the works and his personnal conduct ,but Dolores Del Rio ….., and please no follow-up comparaisons  on Rita Hayworth,if somebody dislike Welles, well his conduct with Dolores is enough...