Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

5 hours ago, lydecker said:

I was going to respond to this question with my time-worn "I despise these actors"  (Shelly Winters, James Dean) rant,  but in honor of Lawrence Olivier Day I have to say I cannot stand Olivier, nor any performance he has ever given.  He never fails to convey "pretentious, over-acting phony" to me each time he appears on screen.  Don't get him, never will.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

At least you could spell Olivier's first name correctly. :)

Oh yeah, that's right. 

lydecker, don't forget Olivier spelled HIS first name just like Laurence Harv....WHOOPS!

(...boy, was THAT ever a close one here, EH Tom?!)  ;)

LOL

31 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Oh yeah, that's right. 

lydecker, don't forget Olivier spelled HIS first name just like Laurence Harv....WHOOPS!

LOL

And to think I had such hopes for you. 😟

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

He who must not be named.

image.jpeg.6815ef2247ae248f79b235578736e3b7.jpeg

(Didn't anyone here watch the Harry Potter movies?)

No but I saw The Manchurian Candidate. Great cast - Sinatra, Lansbury, Leigh and Not Named.

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

And to think I had such hopes for you. 😟

LOL

HEY now, Tom. Remember here, I didn't complete the thought up there, now did I?!

(..and so THAT was an "improvement" of sorts anyway, RIGHT?!)  ;)

8 hours ago, lydecker said:

I was going to respond to this question with my time-worn "I despise these actors"  (Shelly Winters, James Dean) rant,  but in honor of Lawrence Olivier Day I have to say I cannot stand Olivier, nor any performance he has ever given.  He never fails to convey "pretentious, over-acting phony" to me each time he appears on screen.  Don't get him, never will.

Olivier is a complete fake.  He ACTS like an ACTOR.  So, yea, I completely agree. I think that American audiences fell for the Brit accent and thought he was was "special."

Blech!

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

HEY now, Tom. Remember here, I didn't complete the thought up there, now did I?!

(..and so THAT was an "improvement" of sorts anyway, RIGHT?!)  ;)

I figure that's sort of like swearing off alcohol and then looking for congratulations when you only drank half a 40 ounce bottle.

• Haha 1

Kevin Costner. I suspect he has already been mentioned but I do not feel like reading 13 pages,  I like some of the movies he made when he was younger, such as No Way Out, but thought he was annoying in Silverado.  

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I figure that's sort of like swearing off alcohol and then looking for congratulations when you only drank half a 40 ounce bottle.

LOL

Well, I'm not quite sure that that's a good analogy in this case, but point still taken here, ol' buddy. 

Henceforth, I'll attempt to do better.

(..still though, you KNOW how hard it is for this "joke-aholic" here to resist these easy setups I see around here so often, don't ya?!)  ;)

• Like 1
14 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Nathan Lane 

Now that I can in no way agree with.  His performance in THE BIRDCAGE made me a fan for life.  

OLIVIER I can take or leave.

COSTNER?  Sure, like THNRYB up there I agree he was annoying in SILVERADO, And my wife once quipped, "He should do the story of HOWDY DOODY's life, seeing as they're both made of wood."  :D   Worst of all, when he narrates a voice-over, it reminds me of the dumbest guy in a class called on to read in class.

Sepiatone

• Haha 2

Cornell Wilde dated my Mom's friend's sister.  Don't know any more than that.  

The above never posted yesterday.  I like Lord Olivier.  Nathan Lane can be annoying when he isn't acting.

Costner's Dances With Wolves bored me and it should have been called Dancing with Kevin Costner's egos.  He is okay in some movies.  Didn't mind him in Silverado.  What did you think of Costner's performance in The Big Chill?

If we include TV actors/actresses, I can't stand Emily Wickersham on NCIS (don't like her character either).  

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

COSTNER?  Sure, like THNRYB up there I agree he was annoying in SILVERADO, And my wife once quipped, "He should do the story of HOWDY DOODY's life, seeing as they're both made of wood."  :D   Worst of all, when he narrates a voice-over, it reminds me of the dumbest guy in a class called on to read in class.

And we get the pleasure of seeing COSTNER's arse in DANCES WITH WOLVES :unsure: and ROBIN HOOD PRINCE OF THIEVES ... :(

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

The best part of the movie is when no-name puts the rifle to his head. 

I've got to put in a word for Laurence Harvey.  (Yes, I've said it!)  He's one of those actors that is very effective at playing a certain kind of role.  He's wonderful at playing jerks.  No, seriously.  I love him in The Manchurian Candidate, Darling, Room at the Top. The Running Man, ...  

Laurence Harvey - The Authorized Archive - Posts | Facebook

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I've got to put in a word for Laurence Harvey.  (Yes, I've said it!)  He's one of those actors that is very effective at playing a certain kind of role.  He's wonderful at playing jerks.  No, seriously.  I love him in The Manchurian Candidate, Darling, Room at the Top. The Running Man, ...  

Good for you! 

• Thanks 1
On 8/26/2020 at 6:00 PM, Vautrin said:

At least you could spell Olivier's first name correctly. :)

Ah, yes.  He's so pretentious he doesn't even use the traditional spelling of Lawrence.  It's LaUrence (so much more over-the-top!)

On 8/26/2020 at 7:15 PM, Dargo said:

Oh yeah, that's right. 

LOL

BIrds of a feather . . . (LaUrence & LaUrence.)  Just give me plain old Larry!!!

2 hours ago, lydecker said:

Ah, yes.  He's so pretentious he doesn't even use the traditional spelling of Lawrence.  It's LaUrence (so much more over-the-top!)

Or just call him Lord Larry, but don't call him later for dinner. In general, I like Olivier, though on occasion he seems a little on the stagy side. And I believe his parents are responsible for the spelling of his first name. 

1 minute ago, Vautrin said:

Or just call him Lord Larry, but don't call him later for dinner. In general, I like Olivier, though on occasion he seems a little on the stagy side. And I believe his parents are responsible for the spelling of his first name. 

Uh-huh, his BRITISH parents!

(...and you know how THEY are with the use of that letter "u" over there, don't YA?!)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Uh-huh, his BRITISH parents!

(...and you know how THEY are with the use of that letter "u" over there, don't YA?!)

I've never been as terribly bothered by the u thing as certain other people are :). But I believe the u  goes with an o and Olivier's first name was certainly not Laourence. Plus, Larry's pappy was a clergyman, so I suppose he deserves some respect. 

20 hours ago, Peebs said:

Laurence Harvey - The Authorized Archive - Posts | Facebook

He's not on the top of my list of "likes", but didn't really play a jerk in "Walk On  The Wild Side" ('62) and I thought he did OK.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

He's not on the top of my list of "likes", but didn't really play a jerk in "Walk On  The Wild Side" ('62) and I thought he did OK.

Sepiatone

Sorry Sepia, but ya know how Dick Van Dyke has always caught crap for the Cockney accent he did in that one flick?

Well, that's pretty much how I've always felt about the actor who shall remain nameless's Texas accent that HE attempted in THIS flick!

(...nope, never bought for a minute that he was just a naive country boy from the Lone Star State)

• Haha 1
On 8/27/2020 at 7:14 PM, lydecker said:

I’m not the biggest fan of his, but I don’t dislike him like you do, but your reasons for disliking him is exactly why I find it hard to like him.

He’s always acting like he’s doing Shakespeare in the thea-tah. I’m trying to make it through “Wuthering Heights” but haven’t yet. I have to watch “Gidget” and “Casablanca” for the 100th time instead! 

Even though I dislike the film, he is awful in “The Prince and the Showgirl.”  Marilyn might have had a better film if she’d cast someone with whom she had even an ounce of chemistry.