Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I’m not the biggest fan of his, but I don’t dislike him like you do, but your reasons for disliking him is exactly why I find it hard to like him.

He’s always acting like he’s doing Shakespeare in the thea-tah. I’m trying to make it through “Wuthering Heights” but haven’t yet. I have to watch “Gidget” and “Casablanca” for the 100th time instead! I don’t find him objectionable in “Rebecca.”

Even though I dislike the film, he is awful in “The Prince and the Showgirl.”  Marilyn might have had a better film if she’d cast someone with whom she had even an ounce of chemistry. 

On 8/26/2020 at 9:54 PM, Thenryb said:

Kevin Costner. I suspect he has already been mentioned but I do not feel like reading 13 pages,  I like some of the movies he made when he was younger, such as No Way Out, but thought he was annoying in Silverado.  

hey my mom's current favorite living actor is COSTNER!!!

Ever see him vs MADONNA in her 1991 docu TRUTH OR DARE?

Just now, spence said:

hey my mom's current favorite living actor is COSTNER!!!

Ever see him vs MADONNA in her 1991 docu TRUTH OR DARE?

He himself hated his character in SILVERADO ($32m.) (***)  sating i wanted to play the cool, laconic, quiet guy like Scott Glenn in the fun Western   Glenn himself obviously studied a lot of EASWOOD for his role

& of course no WAYNE, COOP, or CLINT,  KEVIN'S is perfect for the west in our era

On 8/18/2020 at 3:11 PM, Allhallowsday said:

Today at TCM SUTS is WARREN BEATTY day.  Ech.  Except for BONNIE AND CLYDE I don't like looking at him, listening to him, or most of his movies.  There are two or three exceptions, I cited one, but WARREN BEATTY is a turn-off for my movie watching. 

Tell us about one actor at a time that you do not care for. 

WOW SPORTS FAN, we have us another split in regArds to SHIRLEY MacLAINE'S younger brother

Though no great actor, he can be strong see McCABE & MRS MILLER., BUGSY-(his finest acting hour),  REDS, BULWORTH was a stunning piece of work!

And after all a guy thats been with 1/2 the females in HOLLYWOOD can't be all bad

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

He’s always acting like he’s doing Shakespeare in the thea-tah. 

A perfect description if I ever heard one of Olivier. Too apt and too funny.

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I’m not the biggest fan of his, but I don’t dislike him like you do, but your reasons for disliking him is exactly why I find it hard to like him.

He’s always acting like he’s doing Shakespeare in the thea-tah. I’m trying to make it through “Wuthering Heights” but haven’t yet. I have to watch “Gidget” and “Casablanca” for the 100th time instead! 

Even though I dislike the film, he is awful in “The Prince and the Showgirl.”  Marilyn might have had a better film if she’d cast someone with whom she had even an ounce of chemistry. 

Do yourself a favor and forget you ever heard of Olivier in "Wuthering Heights".

However, There are some good actors in that movie, but Olivier is not one of them.

• Haha 2
On 8/27/2020 at 10:14 PM, lydecker said:

Ah, yes.  He's so pretentious he doesn't even use the traditional spelling of Lawrence.  It's LaUrence (so much more over-the-top!)

On 8/28/2020 at 12:04 AM, Dargo said:

Uh-huh, his BRITISH parents!

(...and you know how THEY are with the use of that letter "u" over there, don't YA?!)

All this Lawrence talk reminds me of one of my favourite lines in GHOST BREAKERS when Bob Hope identifies himself as Lawrence Lawrence.

"Yeh, and my middle name is Lawrence, too. My folks had no imagination."

2 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Do yourself a favor and forget you ever heard of Olivier in "Wuthering Heights".

However, There are some good actors in that movie, but Olivier is not one of them.

One of my wife's favorite movies.  But for her the draw was the STORY, and not anyone in particular in the cast.  

And it might be a sad commentary for a movie, but IMHO Olivier was the best part in the dismal Neil Diamond version of THE JAZZ SINGER.  :rolleyes:  Another remake they shouldn't have bothered with.  It actually made the DANNY THOMAS version look "top notch". ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 2
On 8/20/2020 at 12:30 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree with you about Shelley Winters;      I have a lot of respect for her as an actor.    No one plays annoying better than Winters.    So while I might dislike many of the characters she has played,   that just goes to show how fine of an actress,  as well as unique,  she was.     

While most actors try their best to make their character sympathetic to the audience,  Winters did the opposite,  and did it better than anyone.

Shelley Winters | 51 incredible actresses from Hollywood's Golden ...

Ok,  I'm quoting my own post and that is a no-no,  but I'm only doing so since I just found out Shelley Winters will be November's Star of the Month. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

At least I'm not the only one who doesn't get his appeal in this movie.  

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

It actually made the DANNY THOMAS version look "top notch". ;) 

I love DANNY THOMAS... but not that movie.  The best part for me is when DANNY is walking with PEGGY LEE and she responds to him with : "I can't think of the last time I've been to a seder!"

A somewhat amusing anecdote about one Mr. L_ _r_nc_  H_rv_y: When Barbara Stanwyck encountered Laurence Harvey lounging in his gold brocade robe and drinking champagne on the set of Walk on the Wild Side. she went right up to him and said, "All right Larry, let's go. Get your *** in gear. We've got a picture to make and I don't have time for prima donnas." Larry was silent for a moment and then he burst out laughing. The two became the best of friends.

• Haha 2
30 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

A somewhat amusing anecdote about one Mr. L_ _r_nc_  H_rv_y: When Barbara Stanwyck encountered Laurence Harvey lounging in his gold brocade robe and drinking champagne on the set of Walk on the Wild Side. she went right up to him and said, "All right Larry, let's go. Get your *** in gear. We've got a picture to make and I don't have time for prima donnas." Larry was silent for a moment and then he burst out laughing. The two became the best of friends.

And in comparison to the relationship that he'd form with his French actress costar in the same film.

(...it'd be a little more "icy", I understand)

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

And in comparison to the relationship that he'd form with his French actress costar in the same film.

(...it'd be a little more "icy", I understand)

Yeah, Larry and Capucine didn't get along at all. I wonder if old vet Miss Barbara Stanwyck ever had to lay down the law to keep things moving along. 

And Jane Fonda didn't like Larry either. Ouch.

2 hours ago, Vautrin said:

...I wonder if old vet Miss Barbara Stanwyck ever had to lay down the law to keep things moving along. 

And Jane Fonda didn't like Larry either. Ouch.

First : I'd bet on it! 

Second : Must prove why I have a soft spot for JANE

• Haha 1

And what delights me is that whenever I look up any info on that movie, Stanwyck's character is described as "A mannish woman:D  

Ha!  APTLY casted.  Eh?  ;) 

Sepiatone

22 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And what delights me is that whenever I look up any info on that movie, Stanwyck's character is described as "A mannish woman:D  

Ha!  APTLY casted.  Eh?  ;) 

Sepiatone

Oh, I dunno 'bout that, Sepia.

Babs in her younger days here didn't seem too "mannish" to me, anyway...

annex-stanwyck-barbara-ball-of-fire_06.j

(...and btw, regarding that thing  Vautrin earlier brought up about her and the actor who shall remain nameless becoming friends after she told him to stop with his prima donna actor routine...I was wondering just how chummy they WOULD get, because as you know, she had a thing for good looking and younger than herself actors, ya know...think Holden and Wagner here)

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

That's GARY COOPER.

Yeah, I know that's Coop, Allhallows. That shot of Babs and Coop is from Ball of Fire.

I was talkin' about how in REAL life she went for the good looking and younger than herself type.

(...and hence my mention of Holden and Wagner, both of whom she reportedly had flings with)

• Like 1
On 8/28/2020 at 9:31 PM, speedracer5 said:

I agree about not caring for The Prince and the Showgirl, but Marilyn Monroe sabotaged her co-stars, deliberately or innocently, because she messed up her lines so many times that the take where she got the line right was always the take they had to use. Sir Larry was probably perfect on his first take, but may have lost some focus and concentration by the time Marilyn finally got the line right and made the take all about her. Billy Wilder warned Tony Curtis about this when they were making Some Like It Hot.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I know that's Coop, Allhallows. That shot of Babs and Coop is from Ball of Fire.

I was talkin' about how in REAL life she went for the good looking and younger than herself type.

(...and hence my mention of Holden and Wagner, both of whom she reportedly had flings with)

Glad to know it; "Wagner here".  :)

2 hours ago, kingrat said:

I agree about not caring for The Prince and the Showgirl, but Marilyn Monroe sabotaged her co-stars, deliberately or innocently, because she messed up her lines so many times that the take where she got the line right was always the take they had to use. Sir Larry was probably perfect on his first take, but may have lost some focus and concentration by the time Marilyn finally got the line right and made the take all about her. Billy Wilder warned Tony Curtis about this when they were making Some Like It Hot.

I saw most of THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL not too long ago on TCM for the first time and I was all set to hate it, and yet I did not. In fact, I kinda liked it (although the painted backdrops in the crowd scenes are bad.)

Maybe someone should start  a thread called MOVIES YOU'RE SURPRISED YOU DON'T HATE.

today i listened to an old recording of THE MERCURY THEATER ON THE AIR with ORSON WELLES- PETER IBBETSON which he did with HELEN HAYES.

Sigh.

Helen never learned how not to "THEATER ACT" - by that I mean to adjust her her volume and inflections and EMOTING to, like, a 6 because FILM and RADIO and TV are not really the medium for trotting out old-school, "dying amongst the lilac blossoms," hand-to-the-forehead Saturday Matinee bull**** antics.

She does in it ARROWSMITH, she does it in NIGHT FLIGHT, she does it in THE SON-DAUGHTER, and does it in MADELEINE CLAUDET (sic?) and she DOES IT HERE TOO, just ruining an otherwise pretty solid rendering of the unusual tale. 

check out the 1935 VERSION OF PETER IBBESTON with ANN HARDING and GARY COOPER  if you ever get the chance (it's online from time to time.) it is an EXQUISITE movie, although COOPER is not very good in it.

• Like 1