Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

19 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

First : I'd bet on it! 

Second : Must prove why I have a soft spot for JANE

Yeah, I can see her stepping up and taking charge, though I don't know if it ever came to that. I'm neutral on LH. He gave some good performances, but he was never a big favorite of mine. Of course he died at a fairly young age, so who knows what he would have done in his later years. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, I can see her stepping up and taking charge, though I don't know if it ever came to that. I'm neutral on LH. He gave some good performances, but he was never a big favorite of mine. Of course he died at a fairly young age, so who knows what he would have done in his later years. 

In the end, personal preferences are prejudiced.  We take to personalities or we don't.  Sometimes they give you the creeps. 

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

today i listened to an old recording of THE MERCURY THEATER ON THE AIR with ORSON WELLES- PETER IBBETSON which he did with HELEN HAYES.

Sigh.

Helen never learned how not to "THEATER ACT" - by that I mean to adjust her her volume and inflections and EMOTING to, like, a 6 because FILM and RADIO and TV are not really the medium for trotting out old-school, "dying amongst the lilac blossoms," hand-to-the-forehead Saturday Matinee bull**** antics.

She does in it ARROWSMITH, she does it in NIGHT FLIGHT, she does it in THE SON-DAUGHTER, and does it in MADELEINE CLAUDET (sic?) and she DOES IT HERE TOO, just ruining an otherwise pretty solid rendering of the unusual tale.

THANK YOU. You've stated my case against Helen Hayes even better than I ever could--I don't hate her, I've just never seen a performance of hers that lived up to the hype. As for Peter Ibbetson, there's a Gary Cooper boxset that I picked up because Cooper fans recommend this performance to Cooper skeptics (count me among them). Maybe some night I'll knuckle myself down and watch it.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

In the end, personal preferences are prejudiced.  We take to personalities or we don't.  Sometimes they give you the creeps. 

Yeah, there is always the X factor. I don't know why I don't like that actor, I just don't. Certainly valid. I really don't care that much about liking or not liking actors anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, there is always the X factor. I don't know why I don't like that actor, I just don't. Certainly valid. I really don't care that much about liking or not liking actors anyway. 

I started the thread because I do think it's an interesting topic. 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

And it must BE!

(...or else you wouldn't have gotten 354 replies to it thus far)

It is an interesting topic in general and folks get to unload on their personal dislikes. But personally, I just don't feel that strongly about actors who aren't favorites of mine. 

There are actually very few actors that I don't like. I don't think I'm a harsh critic. When I watch a movie I take the whole thing in. If the movie is really good I can forgive or overlook an actor I may not care about. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

As for Peter Ibbetson, there's a Gary Cooper boxset that I picked up because Cooper fans recommend this performance to Cooper skeptics (count me among them). Maybe some night I'll knuckle myself down and watch it.

i think it has been almost 2 years to the day from when i first saw PETER IBBETSON (1935) online (where it can still be found, BTW.)

tumblr_l0bymlpHkh1qb0vdio1_1280.png

i remember being in a waiting room and reading a magazine where they interviewed TILDA SWINTON and she mentioned how "unusual" she thought this film was, which, for those you who know who TILDA SWINTON is, THAT IS REALLY SAYING SOMETHING! [kind of akin to GRACE JONES saying something was just "too intense" for her liking.]

AND SHE'S RIGHT, IT IS!

It is 30's FANTASY at its absolute finest- the story of two star-crossed lovers whom injustice keeps apart, who find that they CAN PHYSICALLY BE TOGETHER IN THEIR DREAMS. it is also [IN A WAY] two movies- with a 20 minute (or so) opening that reveals the lovers were close friends and neighbors as children (DICKIE MOORE is EXCEPTIONAL as the boy.) It's really lovely.

ANN HARDING is the love interest and her quiet, restrained style helps to cover up the short comings in Cooper's performance (his character is born and raised in FRANCE, moves to ENGLAND at 8 and his accent is 100% LINCOLN, NEBRASKA.

Still, I really recommend it- especially if you've got it on DVD where I assume the print will be high-quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Dargo said:

Oh, I dunno 'bout that, Sepia.

Babs in her younger days here didn't seem too "mannish" to me, anyway...

(...and btw, regarding that thing  Vautrin earlier brought up about her and the actor who shall remain nameless becoming friends after she told him to stop with his prima donna actor routine..

I can just envision a conversation between Stanwyck and her He Who Shall Not be Named co-star.

"You know, No Name, when I first met you I thought you were a real cold fish. But now that I've gotten to know you, boy, was I right!"

"I have to say, Miss Stanwyck, I'm hard pressed to think of anything I could care less about than your opinion of anything. Having said that, you're probably the best friend I've ever had."

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

GEORGE HAMILTON  - I met him in person in Red Bank, NJ and he was a lovely friendly gentleman.  However, I can't stand him in a movie; I can't think of one I like... 

george_hamilton_1.jpg

I like Home from the Hill.

Home from the Hill (1960) - Rotten Tomatoes

• Like 2

Yeah, CHAYA....  thought of that too.  George for me is take or leave as there's movies he made I thought he was good in and others I felt bad for him doing( like THE HAPPY HOOKER GOES TO WASHINGTON) 

Sepiatone

Hill, singular.  Good for you. 

I'm not much of a fan of either George in Home from the Hill but I believe they do some of their best work in that film.

So, yea that is good for me since I watched the film mainly for Mitchum and Parker.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

known for his eternal tan

He was gloriously tan when I met him, of course.  He seemed genuinely pleased that I recognized him and he was all smiles.  Really, a wonderful impression was made.  Don't forget, a couple of years ago, he was the EXTRA CRISPY COLONEL ...

• Like 1