Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm sure I'm going to get some heat for this, but here goes!  😜

1.  Fred MacMurray  (Comes across as a bit gruff/arrogant)

2.  Kirk Douglas  (I don't understand the appeal)

3.  Spencer Tracy  (There's just something about him that I don't like)

4.  John Wayne  (Can't act!)

5.  Sean Connery  (Unapologetic wife beater)

6.  Deborah Kerr  (Kinda, sorta comes across as a bit snobbish)

7.  Burt Lancaster  (I don't understand the appeal)

8.  Jane Wyatt  (Same as Deborah Kerr)

Gene Wilder. I don't like that weird smirking thing he does. It's as if he's intentionally trying to look nervous and quirky. Also I second Bob Hope. He's not funny.

22 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Gene Wilder. I don't like that weird smirking thing he does. It's as if he's intentionally trying to look nervous and quirky. Also I second Bob Hope. He's not funny.

Ooh.  Same here.  I'll add both those to my list as well.

Haha well everyone on this board knows the actor I can't stand-although I will watch a movie with him in it. Most of the time the strength of the story or other actors can support his bumbling non-acting.

weirdpics6.jpg

I feel the same way about Gregory Peck, Randolph Scott, John Wayne.....meh.

And Charles Boyer! I wanted to stab him in Gaslight every time he said "Pweul-a" and have a hard time getting past Ronald Coleman's breathy voice but they're tolerable. 

As for others' I hear ya on Fred MacMurray, although he can come across better in better roles. I can be charmed by Mickey Rooney, he tries so hard and is obviously a talent. I actually like Warren Beatty - you just have to get past his pretty girl face, he certainly didn't ask for it.

It IS kind of a funny thing to form strong opinions of people you don't know. 

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

^ ZACHARY SCOTT... didn't think of him.  Ech. 

he's really good in THE SOUTHERNER tho!

(outside of that, I can see where you're coming from)

17 hours ago, Allhallowsday said:

Today at TCM SUTS is WARREN BEATTY day.  Ech.  Except for BONNIE AND CLYDE I don't like looking at him, listening to him, or most of his movies.  There are two or three exceptions, I cited one, but WARREN BEATTY is a turn-off for my movie watching. 

Tell us about one actor at a time that you do not care for. 

I lived in HOLLYWOOD around the time that the film TOWN AND COUNTRY came out. Some of you might not even remember it, it was BEATTY'S final film and, at the time, one of the BIGGEST FLOPS OF ALL TIME (it cost almost $100 million and made $2 million)

i overheard a conversation at one of my jobs at the time, and let's just say WARREN will never, ever make another film again. every bridge was TORCHED with that one.

for years, he had these OBSESSIVE PERFECTIONIST TENDENCIES that ran amok, and apparently, TOWN AND COUNTRY was the last straw. also, an editor left like two cans worth of film in the back seat of a taxi that were never returned so 1/3 of the movie had to be reshot.

it was one of THE MOST DISASTROUS SHOOTS OF ALL TIME and apparently, it was ALL HIS FAULT.

People lost their jobs over that movie and careers ended.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Warren did actually make another movie. It was called Rules Don't Apply, and it came out in 2016. I hesitate to mention it, because it will take about three seconds for Movie Madness to come out of hiding and say it didn't make any money either.

• Haha 1

Farley Granger.

Anyone who knows me knows I can't stand him. His voice is extremely annoying, and it gets on my nerves after a while. He's basically the male version of Kristen Stewart; both were former teen stars who got juicy adult roles based on luck and not on talent.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Warren did actually make another movie. It was called Rules Don't Apply, and it came out in 2016. I hesitate to mention it, because it will take about three seconds for Movie Madness to come out of hiding and say it didn't make any money either.

THAT'S RIGHT! I forgot all about the HOWARD HUGHES romantic comedy he did.

went to wiki- it cost $25 million and made $3.

EDIT- it made three million dollars, not three dollars. still ATE IT pretty hard though.

I've been racking my brain here trying to think of another actor or actress that I don't like and other than Raft, but really the only other one that's come to mind is someone I couldn't say I actually "dislike", but usually just gets more of a "meh" from me...Doris Day.

• Like 1

I don't know if I have any consistency to my likes and dislikes. I like to think I'm against hamminess in general, but I'm of a generation that grew up idolizing Jack Nicholson, who is usually very hammy, and I seem to give him a pass. Same with Kirk Douglas.

I guess I'll start by making the most controversial choice possible: I really don't care for Sidney Poitier in about 90 per cent of his movies. This reflects my movie knowledge growing up, but the first thing I ever saw him in was that one where he and Tom Berenger are tracking a bad guy in the wilderness. Oh my God, Poitier so egregiously overacted in that one, I almost walked out. My friends and I would crack each other up for weeks afterward by saying "Every. Damn. Day!" I understand now his significance to the industry and culture in general, but I still have a hard time watching him. He says "man" as a crutch word a lot. All those "mans" can't be in the scripts. If you played a drinking game where you had to take a shot every time he says "man", well ... you'd be dead before the movie was over.

I'm not much for later career Al Pacino or Burt Lancaster, both of whom got exceedingly hammy as they got older. Soft-spoken Pacino in The Godfather and Scarecrow just doesn't seem like the same guy as "Hooo-wahh!" in Scent of a Woman. Although I like him in Heat for some reason, and that monologue he delivers in that Oliver Stone football movie is pretty good. I posted on here years ago that everyone should beware Lancaster mustache movies. Once he grew a mustache, he seemed to have lost all ability to be subtle. Although he's pretty good in Atlantic City.

There have been almost no posts about actresses, other than Dargo's directly above mine. Let's see ... Shirley Booth makes me cringe. I find Veronica Cartwright's hysterics hard to watch. She's been screaming her head off or having some kind of emotional breakdown ever since The Birds

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mel Gibson is number 1 with a bullet.  And to think, I used to like him until he showed his true self.

I never cared for June Allyson (sp?).  Her voice and some of what I had heard about her skewed my opinion.  She was okay in Executive Suite.

Jamie Foxx and Tyler Perry annoy me because they seem to think too much of themselves.

Adolph Menjou because of his little red book.

Sometimes, for me, it depends upon the role.  Screeching and certain voices annoy me.  Also, not happy with domestic abusers, pedophiles, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

....Let's see ... Shirley Booth makes me cringe. I find Veronica Cartwright's hysterics hard to watch. She's been screaming her head off or having some kind of emotional breakdown ever since The Birds. 

LOL

Yeah, good point sewhite, but ya gotta admit her sister Angela was sure cute as hell. ;)

And re your mention of Shirley Booth here, yep, my reaction to her shrill sounding voice has pretty much elicited the very same response in me...a cringe.

And speaking of shrill sounding voices (but good actresses none the less) I don't think anyone has yet mentioned everyone's favorite...Shelley Winters.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yeah, good point sewhite, but ya gotta admit her sister Angela was sure cute as hell. ;)

And re your mention of Shirley Booth here, yep, my reaction to her shrill sounding voice has pretty much elicited the very same thing in me...a cringe.

And speaking of shrill sounding voices (but good actresses none the less) I don't think anyone has yet mentioned everyone's favorite...Shelley Winters.

Sometimes the characters an actor typically got to play is just plain annoying.  SHELLEY WINTERS often played annoying parts... think A PLACE IN THE SUN (not the last time a character of hers ends up "underwater").  She's annoying in LOLITA (good movie) annoying in PATCH OF BLUE (good movie) ... even her two lines in THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD are great to ridicule ("I'm cured... I'm cured!"  To which I always respond, "No you're not. You're still SHELLEY WINTERS.")

• Haha 3

I agree with you about  Mel Gibson, can't stand him. I agree with you about  Adolph Menjou never cared for him. I disagree about June, I enjoy her movies. Not just Dick Powell in love with her but Alan Ladd was madly in love with her and Jimmy Stewart loved working with her. I do think their personnal lives affect they way we feel about them, although there are a few on the bds. that would disagree saying they are able to seperate a performer's personal life with their careers.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have a strong suspicion that June Allyson was a lot more fun in real life than she was in the movies.

So Lorna, are you sayin' here that you think there might have been a very good reason for her perpetual hoarse voice???  ;)

• Haha 4
18 hours ago, LsDoorMat said:

For me it is Barry Nelson. He is always smirking. He has the most punchable face in film history.

Barry Nelson? The first James Bond?

See the source image

57 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Mel Gibson is number 1 with a bullet.  And to think, I used to like him until he showed his true self.

I never cared for June Allyson (sp?).  Her voice and some of what I had heard about her skewed my opinion.  She was okay in Executive Suite.

Jamie Foxx and Tyler Perry annoy me because they seem to think too much of themselves.

Adolph Menjou because of his little red book.

Sometimes, for me, it depends upon the role.  Screeching and certain voices annoy me.  Also, not happy with domestic abusers, pedophiles, etc.

I KNEW there was some reason I liked you, kid!  ;)  Never could stand Adolphe either.  

And RANDOLPH SCOTT always reminded me of a vacuum cleaner salesman trying to play "cowboy".  

And ROBERT MONTGOMERY always struck me as a ROBERT YOUNG stand-in. 

Going back further, I never too, saw the appeal of FATTY ARBUCKLE or CHARLEY CHASE. 

WARREN BEATTY?  Well, I could take him or leave him.  I liked him in THE PARALLAX VIEW, but SHAMPOO?  well, the emphasis was on the "POO" for that one..  But I thought he was brilliant in BULWORTH.  

Sepiatone

June Allyson and Robert Taylor, as I've mentioned many times before when this topic is brought up.

John Travolta, although I think he's appeared in some good movies, as have most if not all of these performers I don't generally care for.

Keanu Reeves. He was appropriate in his "Bill & Ted" mode, but whenever he's supposed to be serious, it's usually laughable. He was astoundingly awful in Bram Stoker's Dracula, and he gave one of the worst performances that I've ever seen by a professional in Knock Knock (2015). I find it hilarious that he's now often called a "national treasure" and is more highly thought of than ever.

Some actors I know are terrible but that's precisely why I like them: Nicolas Cage, William Shatner, the action-flick lunkheads (Stallone, Seagal, Van Damme, Lundgren, etc.). Their general terribleness is the main appeal of their "movies".

Some actors that I have liked in the past I've found I've cooled on these days, like Bruce Willis, or Jack Lemmon. Willis barely phones it in, and Lemmon too often comes across as trying too hard, for me, anyway. John Cusack is another who I don't really like any more.

Some actors I've grown to dislike a bit thanks to their off-camera antics, such as Mel Gibson, Jon Voight, and James Woods.

I don't care much for Jerry Lewis, or the Three Stooges. 

And Ryan O'Neal. Ugh.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

June Allyson and Robert Taylor, as I've mentioned many times before when this topic is brought up.

John Travolta, although I think he's appeared in some good movies, as have most if not all of these performers I don't generally care for.

Keanu Reeves. He was appropriate in his "Bill & Ted" mode, but whenever he's supposed to be serious, it's usually laughable. He was astoundingly awful in Bram Stoker's Dracula, and he gave one of the worst performances that I've ever seen by a professional in Knock Knock (2015). I find it hilarious that he's now often called a "national treasure" and is more highly thought than ever.

Some actors I know are terrible but that's precisely why I like them: Nicolas Cage, William Shatner, the action-flick lunkheads (Stallone, Seagal, Van Damme, Lundgren, etc.). Their general terribleness is the main appeal of their "movies".

Some actors that I have liked in the past I've found I've cooled on these days, like Bruce Willis, or Jack Lemmon. Willis barely phones it in, and Lemmon too often comes across as trying too hard, for me, anyway. John Cusack is another who I don't really like any more.

Some actors I've grown to dislike a bit thanks to their off-camera antics, such as Mel Gibson, Jon Voight, and James Woods.

And Ryan O'Neal. Ugh.

Aaaah...Ryan O'Neal. Now THERE'S a guy I'd forgotten I don't like much.

(...thanks for the reminder here, Lawrence)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

And Ryan O'Neal. Ugh.

After LAURENCE HARVEY, RYAN O'NEAL would be number two (pun intended) though he is in a favorite of mine BARRY LYNDON (perfect for the part of a self-serving cad). 

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Good to see you back, Lawrence, and thanks for the double reminders.

Aside from He Who Shall Not Be Named, I can't stand Jerry Lewis. Not funny, not funny, not funny! But loud and annoying, yes.

I do like the Stooges, except for their final shorts in which they recruited Joe Besser as the third stooge. Joe Besser is painfully unfunny, with an emphasis on the pain part.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1