Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

23 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

John Travolta, although I think he's appeared in some good movies, as have most if not all of these performers I don't generally care for.

I agree. He is one actor who should never play villains because he always overacts horribly in these roles. Like in Broken Arrow (1996) or the 2009 remake of The Taking Of Pelham 123. He was also badly miscast in the Divine role in the musical version of Hairspray (2007)

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I agree. He is one actor who should never play villains because he always overacts horribly in these roles. Like in Broken Arrow (1996) or the 2009 remake of The Taking Of Pelham 123. He was also badly miscast in the Divine role in the musical version of Hairspray (2007)

At least he didn't try to disco dance with those stubby legs. What a horror that would had been. :o:lol:

Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000 publicity still of John ...

Yul Bummer, er Brynner. A smug guy is bad enough, but a smug bald guy. A smug bald guy who seems

to think he is the smartest guy in the room, when that is highly unlikely. Then there's his off-screen

bs pose as an international man of mystery. Good riddance. 

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

June Allyson and Robert Taylor, as I've mentioned many times before when this topic is brought up.

John Travolta, although I think he's appeared in some good movies, as have most if not all of these performers I don't generally care for.

Keanu Reeves. He was appropriate in his "Bill & Ted" mode, but whenever he's supposed to be serious, it's usually laughable. He was astoundingly awful in Bram Stoker's Dracula, and he gave one of the worst performances that I've ever seen by a professional in Knock Knock (2015). I find it hilarious that he's now often called a "national treasure" and is more highly thought of than ever.

Some actors I know are terrible but that's precisely why I like them: Nicolas Cage, William Shatner, the action-flick lunkheads (Stallone, Seagal, Van Damme, Lundgren, etc.). Their general terribleness is the main appeal of their "movies".

Some actors that I have liked in the past I've found I've cooled on these days, like Bruce Willis, or Jack Lemmon. Willis barely phones it in, and Lemmon too often comes across as trying too hard, for me, anyway. John Cusack is another who I don't really like any more.

Some actors I've grown to dislike a bit thanks to their off-camera antics, such as Mel Gibson, Jon Voight, and James Woods.

I don't care much for Jerry Lewis, or the Three Stooges. 

And Ryan O'Neal. Ugh.

I agree with you about Jerry Lewis. I've seen a few Martin and Lewis movies (mainly because I love Dean Martin), and Lewis is so over the top that it's cringeworthy. He also sings like Bugs Bunny. Off-camera, he was a jerk, so I guess you could fit him in the category with Mel Gibson, Jon Voight, and James Woods.

The action-flick lunkheads you mentioned are from the old school. (Excuse my urban lingo.) Do you feel the same way about the current action-flick lunkheads (Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Vin Diesel, etc)?

I remember I had a severe dislike for a while of Lawrence Harvey after seeing 1961's Two Loves, but that kind of dimmed after I saw The Manchurian Candidate, The Running Man (the 1963 film with Lee Remick), and Room from the Top.

And for a while, i was rather harsh toward Jack Weston.

Regarding Warren Beatty, who started off this thread, I like him, but I do find it a bit odd that somebody described as larger than life offscreen often ends up seeming low-key and quiet on the big screen. I think his best performances were in Bonnie and Clyde, Heaven Can Wait, and especially Lilith.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, TomJH said:

I don't like one actor,my dislike of him is so extensive that I have neither said nor written his name for about 30 years. He did appear, though, in Room at the Top and The Manchurian Candidate so I guess you know who this cold stuffed shirt is.

But he died a great death at the Alamo with John Wayne !  What surprised me is that for someone I ASSUMED for so long was born a BRIT, I was recently shocked to find out that  he was born 

Zvi Mosheh Skikne  in  Lithuania.  That is a name that likely would not have gone far in Hollywood ! At least as an actor ! 
15 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

I agree with you about Jerry Lewis. I've seen a few Martin and Lewis movies (mainly because I love Dean Martin), and Lewis is so over the top that it's cringeworthy. He also sings like Bugs Bunny. Off-camera, he was a jerk, so I guess you could fit him in the category with Mel Gibson, Jon Voight, and James Woods.

The action-flick lunkheads you mentioned are from the old school. (Excuse my urban lingo.) Do you feel the same way about the current action-flick lunkheads (Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham, Vin Diesel, etc)?

I never considered Voight and Woods "jerky" off camera - unless it's just their politics you don't like -

35 minutes ago, jinsinna13 said:

I think I've seen all of Statham's movies, and most of Johnson and Diesel's. Statham has been in some good ones, and Johnson fits in the roles he chooses. I've liked a couple of Diesel's films (Pitch Black especially), but he's very cheeseball and his growling tough guy shtick gets ridiculous. 

I also watch Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris, and Wesley Snipes trash flicks, and 70's heroes like Jim Brown, Fred Williamson, and Jim Kelly. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, cinecrazydc said:

I never considered Voight and Woods "jerky" off camera - unless it's just their politics you don't like -

You must not have kept up with Woods' public comments over the past 10 years or so. He's gone beyond just being political; he seems genuinely psychotic at times. And that's besides all of the "prowling for teen girls" stories that flooded in a while back. His lack of work in the past several years has less to do with his politics and more to do with his temperament (plenty of other self-identified conservatives, including Voight, continue to work in Hollywood).

On 8/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, LawrenceA said:

You must not have kept up with Woods' public comments over the past 10 years or so. He's gone beyond just being political; he seems genuinely psychotic at times. And that's besides all of the "prowling for teen girls" stories that flooded in a while back. His lack of work in the past several years has less to do with his politics and more to do with his temperament (plenty of other self-identified conservatives, including Voight, continue to work in Hollywood).

Yep, and even though it pretty much takes a freakin' idiot to say somethin' as stupid as, "No.45 has been the greatest POTUS since No.16" and actually MEAN it!!!!

Aaah but then again, ANYONE who's ever watched "Celebrity Jeopardy!" would already KNOW that almost ALL actors, and REGARDLESS the actor's own personal political persuasion, aren't really all that bright! Well, OTHER than perhaps in regard to how to hit their damn mark and then say their damn lines, anyway.

(...and thus the very reason why I'll NEVER EVER understand why so many people so often seem to want to place ANY of 'em up on a freakin' pedestal or place any more credence upon their stated opinions)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cinecrazydc said:

But he died a great death at the Alamo with John Wayne !  What surprised me is that for someone I ASSUMED for so long was born a BRIT, I was recently shocked to find out that  he was born 

Zvi Mosheh Skikne  in  Lithuania.  That is a name that likely would not have gone far in Hollywood ! At least as an actor ! 

Well all I can say is that I will never say or write his Lithuanian name either. I feel extremely confident that this is a vow that will NEVER be broken (if only because I won't remember his name)..

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Well all I can say is that I will never say or write his Lithuanian name either.

Oh c'mon, Tom! Tell ya what!

YOU now say his name in Lithuanian, and I'LL be the guy who says, "Slowly I turn...step by step" THIS time!!!

(...okay okay,  or maybe not)

7 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

June Allyson and Robert Taylor, as I've mentioned many times before when this topic is brought up.

Keanu Reeves. He was appropriate in his "Bill & Ted" mode, but whenever he's supposed to be serious, it's usually laughable. He was astoundingly awful in Bram Stoker's Dracula, and he gave one of the worst performances that I've ever seen by a professional in Knock Knock (2015). I find it hilarious that he's now often called a "national treasure" and is more highly thought of than ever.

Some actors I know are terrible but that's precisely why I like them: Nicolas Cage, William Shatner, the action-flick lunkheads (Stallone, Seagal, Van Damme, Lundgren, etc.). Their general terribleness is the main appeal of their "movies".

Some actors that I have liked in the past I've found I've cooled on these days, like Bruce Willis, or Jack Lemmon. Willis barely phones it in, and Lemmon too often comes across as trying too hard, for me, anyway. John Cusack is another who I don't really like any more.

Some actors I've grown to dislike a bit thanks to their off-camera antics, such as Mel Gibson, Jon Voight, and James Woods.

And Ryan O'Neal. Ugh.

I remember you saying you hated Rudolf Hrusinsky as well, though I would have to strongly disagree as I think he was great. Also welcome back, Larry.

hrusinsky.jpg

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

And Ryan O'Neal. Ugh.

Welcome back, Lawrence! Jerry Lewis? Ryan O'Neal? Oh yeah!

You make a good point that some actors who were once very good start overacting or phoning it in.

I love two of the ones who've been mentioned, precisely because they are so good at their awful roles.  I consider Shelly Winters a great, courageous actress because she's willing to take those roles and give it her all.  I just love to hate her in, "A Place in the sun" and "A Patch of Blue."  And Zachary Scott?  He was born to play smarmy.  "Mildred Pierce" wouldn't have been the same without him.  I can't see a pair of two-toned shoes without thinking of him.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

I love two of the ones who've been mentioned, precisely because they are so good at their awful roles.  I consider Shelly Winters a great, courageous actress because she's willing to take those roles and give it her all.  I just love to hate her in, "A Place in the sun" and "A Patch of Blue."  And Zachary Scott?  He was born to play smarmy.  "Mildred Pierce" wouldn't have been the same without him.  I can't see a pair of two-toned shoes without thinking of him.

Couldn't agree more here, AD.

(...and even though, yes, I was the one who brought their names into this conversation)

Angela Lansbury. Just don't like her. My mom loves her. I think it's mostly because I don't like Murder, She Wrote. Now whenever I see her in something I'm like, "Oh God, it's Jessica Fletcher."

9 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Angela Lansbury. Just don't like her. My mom loves her. I think it's mostly because I don't like Murder, She Wrote. Now whenever I see her in something I'm like, "Oh God, it's Jessica Fletcher."

I met a man 20+ years ago who was in one of those "I've fallen... and can't get up!" commercials where he played an operator on one of their helplines ... he told me the director of the commercial told him to use whatever name came to mind to insert in his line... he thought of Murder, She Wrote and uttered his line : "We're sending help right away Mrs. Fletcher!"

• Haha 4
On 8/18/2020 at 1:07 PM, Dargo said:

Okay, and NOW other than Warren baby here...

The actor who first comes to MY mind in this regard would be "Mister Tough Guy"...George Raft.

(...and basically because he JUST COULDN'T ACT!!!)

He had great timing though. He helped create the stereotypical gangster in movies.

Then of course, just read lines after that.