Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Speaking of which, if there aren't many actors I flat out dislike, there are some I have mixed feelings about. And this will be probably controversial, but I'm mixed over Robert De Niro. I thought he was exceptional in Taxi Driver and he really is underrated and effective in his nice guy roles (bang the Drum Slowly, The Last Tycoon, Falling in Love, Stanley and Iris, Mad Dog and Glory, A Bronx Tale, The Intern). But his performances in New York New York and Cape Fear threw the whole films off-balance, he was overshadowed by his co-stars in True Confessions, The Mission, The Untouchables, Awakenings, GoodFellas, Marvin's Room, Jackie Brown,  Wag the Dog, The Score, and The Irishman, and too many of the films he has been in in the last 20 years are bizarre choices.

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I saw her in Annie Hall and I didn't really understand what the big deal was about this movie.  I watched it and I remember thinking, why did she win an Oscar for this? Why is this film held up as the end all, be all of both her and Woody Allen's respective careers? Maybe I just didn't get it. 

Ditto. I've seen a ton of Woody Allen films (41 of the films he directed) and a lot of Diane Keaton's (28 of her films), and in both of their cases, it doesn't really feel in either case that it is the best work they have done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Speaking of which, if there aren't many actors I flat out dislike, there are some I have mixed feelings about. And this will be probably controversial, but I'm mixed over Robert De Niro. I thought he was exceptional in Taxi Driver and he really is underrated and effective in his nice guy roles (bang the Drum Slowly, The Last Tycoon, Falling in Love, Stanley and Iris, Mad Dog and Glory, A Bronx Tale, The Intern). But his performances in New York New York and Cape Fear threw the whole films off-balance, he was overshadowed by his co-stars in True Confessions, The Mission, The Untouchables, Awakenings, GoodFellas, Marvin's Room, Jackie Brown,  Wag the Dog, The Score, and The Irishman, and too many of the films he has been in in the last 20 years are bizarre choices.

I don't dislike Robert De Niro per se, but I haven't seen many of his films because he doesn't tend to make films that I gravitate toward. To me though, especially when he is in films with Scorsese, he seems to play the same character over and over again.  I hated him in Cape Fear.  I know that that was probably the point, but his portrayal was so gross and blech.  I couldn't stand him any time he was on screen.  At least in the original, you weren't repulsed by Robert Mitchum, there was more of a danger as to what was he going to do next.  With De Niro, you didn't even want to know what he was going to do, because whatever it was, it was going to be disgusting. 

At this point, I think De Niro, like Meryl Streep, doesn't really have anything left to prove in the acting field and he seems to just be taking on any and every project that is offered to him.  He doesn't seem to be as selective as some of his peers.

While I wouldn't say that I dislike these people per se, there are quite a few people who seemed to have a shtick that is horribly unfunny, but must have been funny at the time.  Though, even if I don't particularly care for someone or a team, I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid them if they appear in something I want to see.

The Bowery Boys/East End Kids/et. al.  I do not understand these guys' appeal.  They are not funny.  They're not amusing.  I just don't get it.  They show up in so many of Warner Bros. crime films and each time Leo Gorcey & co. appear on screen, I let out a heavy sigh and hope that they don't dominate the action.

Whatever Billy de Wolfe's shtick was.  Ugh. I think I saw him in Blue Skies (?) and he had this routine that just went on and on and on.... and none of it was even remotely funny.

This probably doesn't count, because I think she's only in one movie, but the woman whose act was to be a bad audition in Broadway Melody of 1940.  Omg.   That might possibly be the most annoying thing I have ever seen in a movie and it seemingly went on forever.  On the flipside, one of the best things about classic movies is when the vaudeville entertainers perform their unique talents (e.g. contortionist, juggling, etc.).  The lady who juggled in Braodway Melody of 1940 was amazing! 

• Like 2

Diana Dors  Never found her attractive or sexy,I guess it was the best the British could find as an alternative Monroe...  the pipeline there was weak....There was a hundred girls better looking in Hollywood then, an enterprising agent should have imported them there.There is some photos made to enhance her looks but it is cosmetics.A very average girl.a dime a dozen imo.

I've been following this thread trying to think of actors I don't care for. And each post I read, I find I like that person myself. I know there are some who off the camera are reprehensible, but, I rarely pay attention to that.

If I dislike someone, I tend to just ignore them and put them out of my mind. Especially classic Hollywood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Most of the movies that you mention where he's "overshadowed" were films where his character was meant to be less showy. That was exactly the point with True Confessions (where he and Robert Duvall swapped the roles that people would have expected them to play), and Jackie Brown (where he was perfect as the dopey goon). In Wag the Dog he was meant to counterbalance the outrageous other cast, especially Hoffman-as-Robert Evans, and Goodfellas where Ray Liotta was the main character and Joe Pesci gets the showy role. 

I expected De Niro to show up in this thread eventually, both because he's often listed among the "best" (whatever that meaningless term is in this case), and that often provokes strong reactions from people, and he's also now one of those politically-charged people where those with a certain bent will hate him regardless, much like Jane Fonda, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, and Tim Robbins on the left, or Woods, Voight, etc., on the right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Most of the movies that you mention where he's "overshadowed" were films where his character was meant to be less showy. That was exactly the point with True Confessions (where he and Robert Duvall swapped the roles that people would have expected them to play), and Jackie Brown (where he was perfect as the dopey goon). In Wag the Dog he was meant to counterbalance the outrageous other cast, especially Hoffman-as-Robert Evans, and Goodfellas where Ray Liotta was the main character and Joe Pesci gets the showy role. 

I expected De Niro to show up in this thread eventually, both because he's often listed among the "best" (whatever that meaningless term is in this case), and that often provokes strong reactions from people, and he's also now one of those politically-charged people where those with a certain bent will hate him regardless, much like Jane Fonda, Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, and Tim Robbins on the left, or Woods, Voight, etc., on the right.

Fair points. And admittedly Jackie Brown was extraordinarily well-cast with career bests from Pam Grier and Robert Forster, so that was tough to compete in. I do think its sad though for people to be judged only on offscreen habits. I've seen it too firsthand (people carping because of an actor's political beliefs) and it is so obnoxious. I judge actors only with the on-screen results.  [Susan Sarandon I found is seemingly a sore subject even in some left-leaning circles, since for some reason some blame her for Democrat's presidential losses in 2000 and 2016 because both times she said she was voting for a third party candidate; its a shame because she's one of my favorite working actresses, and quite frankly it would be nice to talk about her more]

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

You posted this with a picture, and I still don't know who that is.

Count yourself lucky you have not seen Ted Lewis in any films.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

[Susan Sarandon I found is seemingly a sore subject even in some left-leaning circles, since for some reason some blame her for Democrat's presidential losses in 2000 and 2016 because both times she said she was voting for a third party candidate; its a shame because she's one of my favorite working actresses, and quite frankly it would be nice to talk about her more]

I love SUSAN SARANDON

• Like 2
4 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I saw her in Annie Hall and I didn't really understand what the big deal was about this movie.  I watched it and I remember thinking, why did she win an Oscar for this? Why is this film held up as the end all, be all of both her and Woody Allen's respective careers? Maybe I just didn't get it. 

Thank you for your post, I completely agree. I've only seen three Woody Allen films: Manhattan, Annie Hall, and Hannah and Her Sisters. I remember kind of liking Manhattan, but I wasn't thrilled. However, it was a few years ago so I don't have a great recollection of it and would be willing to give it another try.

I watched Annie Hall last year and did not like it at all. I didn't even think it was that funny. I had the same impression: this is Annie Hall, the great, hilarious movie that is supposedly one of the best? I agree, I wouldn't call this an Oscar winning role nor Allen's greatest achievement. 

After those two, I figured I just didn't like his films. 

Now I watched Hannah and Her Sisters for the first time in July as part of the tribute to Max von Sydow. I really like von Sydow and Michael Caine, and I love New York City films, so I thought I'd try it. This film was great. It was funny, had strong performances, and had a great script. Allen was hilarious in this one, something I didn't find in the other two. 

I'm willing to watch more of his films, but I would say I don't like Allen and Keaton as an acting team or as the only leads. What made Hannah and Her Sisters appealing was the ensemble and the weaving of their stories. I'm sure I would find that Hannah is my favorite of his films. 

I would say I am not a fan of Diane Keaton.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About Robert DeNiro: with Analyze This, a very funny film, he began doing parody versions of the serious roles he had played, and his career has gone downhill in this direction. I sometimes call this the Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? phase of his career, just as Bette Davis began doing parody versions of her earlier persona.

It's sacrilege to say so , but I have trouble taking Peter Falk for more than about two minutes of screen time.

8 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

il_570xN.1825320965_d4bq.jpg

I feel like running out of the room when Ted Lewis comes on - in anything.

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

You posted this with a picture, and I still don't know who that is.

Ted Lewis wasn't in a lot of films in his career, Lawrence. He was mostly a vaudevillian, and also a band leader whose band specialized in old Tin Pan Alley tunes, but who also had a solo act for many years as a singer who'd quite often talk the lyrics of a song and use exaggerated inflections instead of actually singing them.

His trademark look was top hat and tails, and is probably best remembered for his catchphrase, "Is everybody happy?" and his rendition of the old song, "Me and My Shadow".

I also recall a few cartoons from the 1930s in which he's caricatured in them.

(...and can understand why Bogie doesn't like him, as even in his heyday his act was considered pretty corny)

On 8/20/2020 at 6:23 AM, TikiSoo said:

Ugh never liked that mouth-breather.* I wanted to tear my hair out when he played "older" Brian Wilson in LOVE & MERCY. (Paul Dano was just PERFECT as "younger" Brian Wilson-wish they just used aging make-up than that Cuse-hack)*

I had forgotten long ago I disliked super popular Kevin Costner after forcing myself to sit through a couple of movies with him in them. Can't say "starring"since the rest of the world has realized he's not an actor or star, just a poser.

After reading Peter Bogdanovich's rhapsody on the brilliance of Jerry Lewis, I gave several of his movies a try. I didn't care for any of them except for THE NUTTY PROFESSOR which I thought was a pretty good illustration of his comedy/acting skills.

*" Love & Mercy " was the first time I had ever seen John Cusack-- I believe they hired him because he has/had a name and reputation in the movies-- maybe even a fan base.

But he was so miscast as Brian Wilson that I just imagined he really needed the money or a big ego boost to play something he was obviously so ill-suited for.

Still, the movie was well worth Paul Dano's superb performance and gave me a good cinematic understanding of what Brian's life was like when he was at the top of his artistic abilities.

Marilyn Monroe. Do I need to say why? The only movie that I like her in is River of No Return. And it's mostly her singing of the title song that I like, definitely not the acting.

mar12_river_of_returns_fg.jpg

5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ted Lewis wasn't in a lot of films in his career, Lawrence. He was mostly a vaudevillian, and also a band leader whose band specialized in old Tin Pan Alley tunes, but who also had a solo act for many years as a singer who'd quite often talk the lyrics of a song and use exaggerated inflections instead of actually singing them.

His trademark look was top hat and tails, and is probably best remembered for his catchphrase, "Is everybody happy?" and his rendition of the old song, "Me and My Shadow".

I also recall a few cartoons from the 1930s in which he's caricatured in them.

(...and can understand why Bogie doesn't like him, as even in his heyday his act was considered pretty corny)

speakingoftheweather1.5.png

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, Athos said:

I'm willing to watch more of his films, but I would say I don't like Allen and Keaton as an acting team or as the only leads. What made Hannah and Her Sisters appealing was the ensemble and the weaving of their stories. I'm sure I would find that Hannah is my favorite of his films. 

I'd recommend Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) if you want to try another Allen movie.  No Diane Keaton but a great cast including Martin Landau, Alan Alda, Jerry Orbach, Angelica Huston with Mia Farrow and Woody Allen.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Peebs said:

I'd recommend Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989) if you want to try another Allen movie.  No Diane Keaton but a great cast including Martin Landau, Alan Alda, Jerry Orbach, Angelica Huston with Mia Farrow and Woody Allen.  

Another great one is BULLETS OVER BROADWAY. Lots of great character parts which are the most memorable scenes in the film ( with the exception of those that include the wonderful Diane Wiest. )

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1