Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actors you do not like

9 hours ago, kingrat said:

It's sacrilege to say so , but I have trouble taking Peter Falk for more than about two minutes of screen time.

“Sam, why do you have all those naked musclemen magazines in your office?”

”I’m always looking for suspects.”

(That’s not a commentary or opinion  on Peter Falk, I just love that line.)

• Haha 2
On 8/20/2020 at 8:07 AM, AndreaDoria said:

Am I the only person who saw the BBC version of "War and Peace"  staring Paul Dano? 

Missed that but was riveted watching Dano play a creepoid killer in 2018's ESCAPE FROM DANNEMORA.

TELEMMGLPICT000184550533_trans_NvBQzQNjv

This was a great Showtime movie, highly recommend it. The strength of this mini-series/movie was the incredible casting. Both Paul Dano & Benicio DelToro were cunningly charming while being creepy & disgusting sort of in the same way Tony Perkins played Norman Bates as sick, scary & vulnerable all at the same time. Patricia Arquette's portrayal of the foil in ESCAPE was spot on sympathetic & disgusting as well. 

I find it amazing when any performance strikes the viewer so emotionally. This movie had 3 of them!

• Like 2
16 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I've been following this thread trying to think of actors I don't care for. And each post I read, I find I like that person myself. I know there are some who off the camera are reprehensible, but, I rarely pay attention to that.

*If I dislike someone, I tend to just ignore them and put them out of my mind. Especially classic Hollywood.

*Gerald, then maybe you can help me.

I can't get Louis Hayward out of my mind.

I recently watched him in a fairly decent movie, a 19th century period piece, starring Hedy Lamarr, George Sanders and Gene Lockhart--" The Strange Woman".

He was only in 1/3 of this film, but the stench of his performance made it almost intolerable to watch the film in its entirety.

Fortunately I had the DVD and I was able to continue it at a later time after his "unfortunate" suicide in the movie.

However, he's bothered me before.

In another movie there are actually two beautiful women who are fighting over him and that's so ridiculous I couldn't even finish watching that one-- Maureen O'Hara and Lucille Ball in "Dance, Girl, Dance".

Then, when I try to escape to the fun horror hijinx of Svengoolie, Sven ends up showing " The Son of Dr. Jekyll" starring Louis Hayward at least 2 times within a year.

I really feel sorry for this actor because he tried so hard in all of these roles, but he's so bad.

In "The Strange Woman", he was a blankety-blank coward. It's the kind of role that Wendell Corey could play and you would say it was great even though Wendell Cory has less sex appeal than Louis Hayward--

We're getting into the negative sex appeal category  here--

But at least Wendell Corey is a damn good actor!

So Gerald, I wish I could truly forget about Louis Hayward because I really feel sorry for him because he tries so hard.

He reminds me a guy in my high school play who didn't come to rehearsals and was rather humiliated on opening night.

(BTW--  Louis Hayward was the original movie Simon Templar in "The Saint". But considering what the role required, they had to fire him after the first movie and hire George Sanders.)

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

(BTW--  Louis Hayward was the original movie Simon Templar in "The Saint". But considering what the role required, they had to fire him after the first movie and hire George Sanders.)

My never caring much for Sanders I'd say it wasn't really much of an improvement.

Sepiatone

If we consider fringe actors like Jimmy Fallon.  I just don't get him.   Same with Kate McKinnon (sp?) and Melissa McCarthy.   Same goes with Adam Sandler  except in Spanglish.  Same holds true for Billy Crystal and Ben Stiller.  I basically don't dislike them, I just think their schtick is too funny.  And Ben Stiller turned a great Danny Kaye Film (Walter Mitty) into something very depressing.

As for antics offscreen, in David Niven's memoir (Bring on the Empty Horses), he mentions Bruce Cabot as being a not so nice guy.

Jean Arthur : annoying voice
Tony Franciosa : smug pr*ck
John Cassavetes : another smug pr*ck
Jane Russell : just don't like her looks (trailer trash?)
Frank Sinatra : punk-ish
James Stewart : because, awshucks

Actors I used to like but can't stand anymore: Peter Sellers
Actors I could never stomach: Tom Cruise, Adam Sandler, Ben Affleck, Mel Gibson, Chevy Chase.

P.S. Marlon what's-his-name

• Like 1
22 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Ditto. I've seen a ton of Woody Allen films (41 of the films he directed) and a lot of Diane Keaton's (28 of her films), and in both of their cases, it doesn't really feel in either case that it is the best work they have done.

Woody Allen is another I can't stand. 

On 8/19/2020 at 11:24 PM, Allhallowsday said:

It took me a long time to like KIRK DOUGLAS, mainly because of my fondness for SPARTACUS.  I've come to like some of his other movies. 

SPENCER TRACY?  Overrated. 

I love me some JOHN WAYNE... JOHN FORD thought he was the best actor in the business.  His last film exemplifies his style (THE SHOOTIST) and I love it. 

I don't think John Wayne is as iconic today as he was when we were kids. My god, he was so popular, so manly, and so western America.

3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Sep-- You have good taste in music and films.

But I have to say oh, and I think you'll agree with me:

You're not a woman.

Well, ANNE BAXTER did tell GEORGE SANDERS "I don't know that I'd take you for anything...!" 

Or, as REX HARRISON said : "That perfumed parlor snake!" 

7 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

Well, ANNE BAXTER did tell GEORGE SANDERS "I don't know that I'd take you for anything...!" 

Or, as REX HARRISON said : "That perfumed parlor snake!" 

But George Sanders is my very favorite  "perfumed parlor snake". That's how he got that shiny Oscar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

But George Sanders is my very favorite  "perfumed parlor snake". That's how he got that shiny Oscar.

I think GEORGE SANDERS enlivens anything he appears in! 

I'd guess you know I was quoting lines from two of his movies... ?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I like that movie. But George was simply a dreadful cad in it-- and that's how he made his living in the movies.

Sometimes he was heroic, but specialized in cads, indeed.  THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR is a favorite of mine - score by BERNARD HERRMANN (own that soundtrack too). 

Just now, kingrat said:

Seeing The Unholy Wife (reviewed in I Just Saw) reminded me that with some notable exceptions, like On the Waterfront, I often do not care for Rod Steiger.

I think ROD STEIGER is one of the very best screen actors.  He blew my mind in THE CHOSEN

• Like 2

Seeing as how Rex Harrison was mentioned earlier, there's an actor I was never all that crazy about.

I'll take George Sanders any day over Harrison when it comes to playing your typical haughty Brit.

(...and btw, when the latter here said of the former he was a "perfumed parlor snake" in the Mrs. Muir movie, all I can say here that in most roles I've ever seen him play, Rex shouldn't talk, as that would usually be a very good self-descriptor for the actor and the roles he so often portrayed)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Seeing as how Rex Harrison was mentioned earlier, there's an actor I was never all that crazy about.

I'll take George Sanders any day over Harrison when it comes to playing your typical haughty Brit.

(...and btw, when the latter here said of the former he was a "perfumed parlor snake" in the Mrs. Muir movie, all I can say here that in most roles I've ever seen him play, Rex shouldn't talk)

There is one movie of REX HARRISON's that I genuinely like : THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR (as a ghost he's the perfect windbag).  

There is one film of his that is such a ridiculous performance that I kind of like it for being so BAD (not to mention LINDA DARNELL) : ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM  ... IRENE DUNNE helps REX be more tolerable.  

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

I agree, but I definitely enjoy his movies!

Me too. I had a friend in grammar school whose dad was a manager of a theater and we would get into the theater for free.  I remember watching True Grit among others.