Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think GEORGE SANDERS enlivens anything he appears in! 

I'd guess you know I was quoting lines from two of his movies... ?

Most definitely his role as Shear Khan in Jungle Book. 

4 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

*Gerald, then maybe you can help me.

I can't get Louis Hayward out of my mind.

I recently watched him in a fairly decent movie, a 19th century period piece, starring Hedy Lamarr, George Sanders and Gene Lockhart--" The Strange Woman".

He was only in 1/3 of this film, but the stench of his performance made it almost intolerable to watch the film in its entirety.

Fortunately I had the DVD and I was able to continue it at a later time after his "unfortunate" suicide in the movie.

However, he's bothered me before.

In another movie there are actually two beautiful women who are fighting over him and that's so ridiculous I couldn't even finish watching that one-- Maureen O'Hara and Lucille Ball in "Dance, Girl, Dance".

Then, when I try to escape to the fun horror hijinx of Svengoolie, Sven ends up showing " The Son of Dr. Jekyll" starring Louis Hayward at least 2 times within a year.

I really feel sorry for this actor because he tried so hard in all of these roles, but he's so bad.

In "The Strange Woman", he was a blankety-blank coward. It's the kind of role that Wendell Corey could play and you would say it was great even though Wendell Cory has less sex appeal than Louis Hayward--

We're getting into the negative sex appeal category  here--

But at least Wendell Corey is a damn good actor!

So Gerald, I wish I could truly forget about Louis Hayward because I really feel sorry for him because he tries so hard.

He reminds me a guy in my high school play who didn't come to rehearsals and was rather humiliated on opening night.

(BTW--  Louis Hayward was the original movie Simon Templar in "The Saint". But considering what the role required, they had to fire him after the first movie and hire George Sanders.)

Well, in the first place, if Lucy, Maureen or Hedy are in a film, I rarely notice anyone else.

The Hollywood beauty standard of post 1990's (especially 2000 forward), is really not to my taste. But, I still am able to watch and enjoy films. I'm really good at suspending disbelief in watching movies. And convincing myself that , in this case, this person is supposed to be so attractive that the men in the film are fighting over her.

When I was young, I would watch a film where the guy would get a girl. Then later turn her down for this ultimate beauty queen. I would ask myself "why didn't he just stick with the one he already had ?" Then I realized that, if he did that, there wouldn't be a movie.

• Like 2

Tough crowd here. For the somewhat Allen-phobic there are his earlier funny movies like Take the Money and Run

and Sleeper. That's before the Woodman began his transformation into an American version of Ingmar Bergman,

which didn't really take. 

6 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

If we consider fringe actors like Jimmy Fallon.  I just don't get him.   Same with Kate McKinnon (sp?) and Melissa McCarthy.   Same goes with Adam Sandler  except in Spanglish.  Same holds true for Billy Crystal and Ben Stiller.  I basically don't dislike them, I just think their schtick is too funny.  .... 

Did you mean  "you just think their schtick  isn't  too funny?"

On 8/18/2020 at 3:11 PM, Allhallowsday said:

Today at TCM SUTS is WARREN BEATTY day.  Ech.  Except for BONNIE AND CLYDE I don't like looking at him, listening to him, or most of his movies.  There are two or three exceptions, I cited one, but WARREN BEATTY is a turn-off for my movie watching. 

Tell us about one actor at a time that you do not care for. 

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say he's a "turn-off" for me,  but I'm definitely not a fan, and I think he's over-rated.  Although, come to think of it, if I'm honest, I believe I'm talking about his reputation/image as a male sex symbol, as a "hunk", as a good-looking man,  that's what's over-rated for me.  I don't think he's attractive at all.  But as for his acting, I don't really have a problem with it.  Just don't ask me to think of him as eye candy.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:03 PM, TomJH said:

I don't like one actor,my dislike of him is so extensive that I have neither said nor written his name for about 30 years. He did appear, though, in Room at the Top and The Manchurian Candidate so I guess you know who this cold stuffed shirt is.

Shirley you can't mean  LAURENCE HARVEY ?    I figure it's either him, or Voldemort.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:08 PM, speedracer5 said:

Mickey Rooney.  I do not understand his appeal.  He doesn't even make up for his obnoxious screen personality by being attractive.  He is not attractive in the slightest.

Agreed, speedy, Mickey Rooney is not only not attractive, he's downright UNattractive  (to me, anyway.)

However, he has been in some good films, he wasn't just Andy Hardy.  At least a couple of interesting film noirs:  Quicksand,  and  Drive a Crooked Road.

• Like 1
On 8/18/2020 at 6:03 PM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Tom Cruise. I don't have anything against him personally, he seems like a nice guy, but I don't think he is a good actor. He was cringe worthy in The Color Of Money and A Few Good Men

I know I'm probably a minority of one here,  but I actually like Tom Cruise.  (At least, his acting and his movies.  Not his personal life, as in Scientology....)

8 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Shirley you can't mean  LAURENCE HARVEY ?    I figure it's either him, or Voldemort.

WHOOPS! Well here we go AGAIN...

slowly+i+turned+2.jpg

Slowly Tom turns...step by step!

(...just remember here Tom...I didn't say it THIS time!!!)   LOL

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
On 8/18/2020 at 8:27 PM, Arsan404 said:

Bob Hope. I get tired of his one-liners after a while.

I've never been a fan of Norma Shearer and Tyrone Power, but I can still enjoy some of their movies. Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy on the other hand, are two performers that I never liked, and it also has something to do with the kind of movies they made.

Of today's actors, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, and Leonardo DiCaprio come to mind.

I know everybody despises Leonardo these days,  but I kind of like him.  I think he has a comic side that's not fully recognized.  I thought he was hilarious in The Wolf of Wall Street.

• Like 2

MissW, the joke up there that you seem confused about is that Tom dislikes Laur..ahem..I mean the actor who shall remain nameless, SO much that he would prefer that people would refer to him as just that in Tom's presence, "the actor who shall remain nameless".

(...and thus my posting of that old Abbott & Costello and Three Stooges routine called either "Niagara Falls" or "Her name was Martha") 

On 8/18/2020 at 4:06 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Boy, I knew Warren Beatty would be the first person mentioned in this thread.

I have to say I enjoyed Liev Schreiber doing a really good impersonation of the actor whose name you shall not mention in the remake.

Just want to say, even though this statement is the opposite of the thread's premise...I love Liev Schreiber.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I know everybody despises Leonardo these days,  but I kind of like him.  I think he has a comic side that's not fully recognized.  I thought he was hilarious in The Wolf of Wall Street.

My wife likes Leo too.

(...in fact, she liked him SO much in the trailer for Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood  she saw on TV, she wanted to and did go see this Tarantino movie, and even though Tarantino movies are known to be very violent, and something of which she's not crazy about in films)

• Like 2
On 8/19/2020 at 2:01 AM, Lizbeth4 said:

I'm sure I'm going to get some heat for this, but here goes!  😜

1.  Fred MacMurray  (Comes across as a bit gruff/arrogant)

2.  Kirk Douglas  (I don't understand the appeal)

3.  Spencer Tracy  (There's just something about him that I don't like)

4.  John Wayne  (Can't act!)

5.  Sean Connery  (Unapologetic wife beater)

6.  Deborah Kerr  (Kinda, sorta comes across as a bit snobbish)

7.  Burt Lancaster  (I don't understand the appeal)

8.  Jane Wyatt  (Same as Deborah Kerr)

Wow, that's quite a list.  But at least you try to 'splain why you dislike these actors.  Sort of....a lot of your explanations seem to consist of saying "there's just something about them I don't like... " not exactly specific.  I have to say, the only one on your list who I also dislike is Spencer Tracy.  There's been some talk on this thread  of smug actors ,  and Spencer Tracy always struck me as a bit smug. "That said",  he's been in some good films, and has his good points  (sense of humour, for one.)

I won't go over all 8 of the disliked ones, but I'll just  defend a few:  I can separate the art from the artist.  I did not know that Sean Connery was a "wife beater", and I guess ignorance is bliss, because although Mr. Connery is not a particular favourite of mine, I can certainly watch and enjoy his movies.  (or if I don't, it's not because of anything he's done in his personal life.)

Fred MacMurray's been in a lot of good films, and maybe even one or two great ones.  He's a good actor.   (just to name two:  Double Indemnity, The Cain Mutiny )

Ditto for Kirk Douglas.  In fact, Kirk was in many great movies.  He deserves his legendary status.  ( Out of the Past,   Paths of Glory )

Ditto again for Burt Lancaster.  I love Burt !  An incredibly handsome man who was also very talented.  He's been in many great films, including several in my favourite movie genre, film noir.  (Criss CrossFrom Here to Eternity,   so many more...)

Speaking of From Here to Eternity,  another one on your list starred in that film:  Deborah Kerr.  I could be wrong, so sorry if I am, but I do often have the impression that Americans automatically think anyone with a British accent is "snobbish".  Deborah Kerr is a fine actress and has worked in many excellent films.  Including From Here to Eternity, but also, just to name a couple where she's anything but snooty,  I See a Dark Stranger(funny, suspenseful, a really delightful film that rarely gets shown), and her role as the very messed up governess in The Innocents.

• Like 3
On 8/19/2020 at 9:42 AM, jinsinna13 said:

Farley Granger.

Anyone who knows me knows I can't stand him. His voice is extremely annoying, and it gets on my nerves after a while. He's basically the male version of Kristen Stewart; both were former teen stars who got juicy adult roles based on luck and not on talent.

Ok, I agree that Farley can be a bit wooden.  But have you seen Strangers on a Train?  It's such a fun movie, and Farley's woodenness kind of suits the character.

26 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Just want to say, even though this statement is the opposite of the thread's premise...I love Liev Schreiber.

I love Liev Schreiber. So unhappy Ray Donovan has been cancelled. It was Showtime's biggest hit. and still had a huge following. The suits decided they'd make more money streaming the old episodes it was a very expensive show to produce. Liev was fantastic as Ray. such a good actor.

• Like 1
On 8/19/2020 at 11:22 AM, chaya bat woof woof said:

Mel Gibson is number 1 with a bullet.  And to think, I used to like him until he showed his true self.

I never cared for June Allyson (sp?).  Her voice and some of what I had heard about her skewed my opinion.  She was okay in Executive Suite.

Jamie Foxx and Tyler Perry annoy me because they seem to think too much of themselves.

Adolph Menjou because of his little red book.

Sometimes, for me, it depends upon the role.  Screeching and certain voices annoy me.  Also, not happy with domestic abusers, pedophiles, etc.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:02 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

I agree with you about  Mel Gibson, can't stand him. I agree with you about  Adolph Menjou never cared for him. I disagree about June, I enjoy her movies. Not just Dick Powell in love with her but Alan Ladd was madly in love with her and Jimmy Stewart loved working with her. I do think their personnal lives affect they way we feel about them, although there are a few on the bds. that would disagree saying they are able to seperate a performer's personal life with their careers.

Like me.  Now, I do draw the line with some things  (Mel Gibson was never that great an actor anyway , and his horrible anti-Semitic rants were that line for me.)

But as I said earlier,  ignorance is bliss...a lot of the time I'm unaware of the bad things these people have done or said, and that's fine with me, as there's nothing to distract me from their performance in a film.  But even when I have heard something unpleasant about them, I can usually just forget it while I'm watching the movie.  I'm just interested in the film and the character they're playing and how much both the film and the actor's performance engages me.  For me, their personal life has nothing to do with the movie I'm watching.  (same with music, by the way.)

50 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

...Speaking of From Here to Eternity,  another one on your list starred in that film:  Deborah Kerr.  I could be wrong, so sorry if I am, but I do often have the impression that Americans automatically think anyone with a British accent is "snobbish".  Deborah Kerr is a fine actress and has worked in many excellent films.  Including From Here to Eternity, but also, just to name a couple where she's anything but snooty,  I See a Dark Stranger(funny, suspenseful, a really delightful film that rarely gets shown), and her role as the very messed up governess in The Innocents.

First here MissW, I've always LOVED Deborah Kerr, and so secondly, yes, I think you WERE wrong with your above broad brush comment, "Americans automatically think anyone with a British accent is "snobbish", AND even though I DO think as you can probably imagine that their continued use of the superfluous 'u' and their arguments and rationales for its continued use COULD often rightly be construed in that way..."snobbish"!  LOL  ;) 

And thirdly, and because you brought up the lovely Miss Kerr and her performance in  From Here to Eternity, I thought you might be interested in watching the following. It's her own recollections as to how she got the part in that film:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 8/19/2020 at 12:38 PM, Sepiatone said:

And ROBERT MONTGOMERY always struck me as a ROBERT YOUNG stand-in. 

Yes !  Finally someone else who thinks these two actors are very similar !  ( I always get them mixed up.)  Although I wouldn't say Robert Montgomery was set up as a stand-in for Robert Young...  once I've figured out which one is in whatever movie I'm watching, I actually think they're different, in their style and the kind of roles they played.

But I am gratified that someone else on these boards also thinks they look alike.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Yes I do and, by the way, my name's not Shirley.

I have now gone 30 years with an unblemished record as charter member of the He Who Shall Not Be Named Club. In fact, not only am I a charter member but I'm the only member. Dargo tried to join but he failed. Done in by a joke! I had high hopes for him, too.

Nevertheless, I entreat all who are equally turned off by this cold fish actor who exudes the excitement of clam chowder to become a member of the club and never again let his name pass their lips or be typed by their keyboard.

• Haha 1
On 8/19/2020 at 2:01 AM, Lizbeth4 said:

I'm sure I'm going to get some heat for this, but here goes!  😜

1.  Fred MacMurray  (Comes across as a bit gruff/arrogant)

2.  Kirk Douglas  (I don't understand the appeal)

3.  Spencer Tracy  (There's just something about him that I don't like)

4.  John Wayne  (Can't act!)

5.  Sean Connery  (Unapologetic wife beater)

6.  Deborah Kerr  (Kinda, sorta comes across as a bit snobbish)

7.  Burt Lancaster  (I don't understand the appeal)

8.  Jane Wyatt  (Same as Deborah Kerr)

Wow! that's some list. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, I have to say I don't agree with any of the ones you've listed. all great actors imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, LawrenceA said:

Keanu Reeves. He was appropriate in his "Bill & Ted" mode, but whenever he's supposed to be serious, it's usually laughable. He was astoundingly awful in Bram Stoker's Dracula, and he gave one of the worst performances that I've ever seen by a professional in Knock Knock (2015). I find it hilarious that he's now often called a "national treasure" and is more highly thought of than ever.

Some actors I know are terrible but that's precisely why I like them: Nicolas Cage, William Shatner, the action-flick lunkheads (Stallone, Seagal, Van Damme, Lundgren, etc.). Their general terribleness is the main appeal of their "movies".

Keanu Reeves as a "national treasure", must be a national treasure of Canada's, since Keanu is a Canadian actor.

I do agree, he's not a very good actor, really, but there's something kind of likable about him.

I realize I'm being a bit of a contrarian here, but I'll say about Nicholas Cage what I said about Tom Cruise:  I like Mr. Cage, and I like a lot of the movies he was in.  At least, the ones before 2005 or so, after which time I agree, he seemed to have gone bonkers.  But I have to like him for the sake of the many good, and sometimes fantastic, films he was in before he apparently lost all judgement.

• Like 2
On 8/19/2020 at 4:55 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I remember I had a severe dislike for a while of Lawrence Harvey after seeing 1961's Two Loves, but that kind of dimmed after I saw The Manchurian Candidate, The Running Man (the 1963 film with Lee Remick), and Room from the Top.

And for a while, i was rather harsh toward Jack Weston.

Room  at the Top".  (Sorry, I know people who correct are obnoxious, but in this case the preposition is important.)

• Thanks 1