Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 8/19/2020 at 10:30 PM, Rudy's Girl said:

Angela Lansbury. Just don't like her. My mom loves her. I think it's mostly because I don't like Murder, She Wrote. Now whenever I see her in something I'm like, "Oh God, it's Jessica Fletcher."

She's actually quite a good actress.  Try not to think about "Murder She Wrote" when you watch her movies.  She has a small but important role in Gaslight, a very sympathetic one in  The Dark at the Top of the Stairs,  and she's hilarious in Court Jester.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

She's actually quite a good actress.  Try not to think about "Murder She Wrote" when you watch her movies.  She has a small but important role in Gaslight, a very sympathetic one in  The Dark at the Top of the Stairs,  and she's hilarious in Court Jester.

And she's kind'a hot in The Harvey Girls too! 

816cf971574353b00b9f28eb48cca3db.jpg

;)

(...so, by now you've gotten my "Slowly Tom Turns...step by step" joke up there I presume, and how about that Deborah Kerr YouTube clip up there?...I ask because you haven't acknowledged either)

• Like 3
On 8/21/2020 at 3:06 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Speaking of which, if there aren't many actors I flat out dislike, there are some I have mixed feelings about. And this will be probably controversial, but I'm mixed over Robert De Niro. I thought he was exceptional in Taxi Driver and he really is underrated and effective in his nice guy roles (bang the Drum Slowly, The Last Tycoon, Falling in Love, Stanley and Iris, Mad Dog and Glory, A Bronx Tale, The Intern). But his performances in New York New York and Cape Fear threw the whole films off-balance, he was overshadowed by his co-stars in True Confessions, The Mission, The Untouchables, Awakenings, GoodFellas, Marvin's Room, Jackie Brown,  Wag the Dog, The Score, and The Irishman, and too many of the films he has been in in the last 20 years are bizarre choices.

What ?  Look, Robert de Niro's been in a lot of rubbish movies, I won't argue you that.  But he's also been in some undeniably great films, and for the handful of those, all of which he's made better by being in them, he deserves our respect and admiration.   I must admit, half of the titles you mention, I haven't even heard of. 

You did not mention De Niro's performance in The Godfather Two, in which he plays the young Vito Corleone.  He gives an intense yet oddly restrained performance, unforgettable.

He was in a lot of Martin Scorsese films.  I think he's good in all of them  (but then, I like Martin Scorsese.)  He's fantastic  in Goodfellas.  Yes, Joe Pesci is pretty strong in the film, but I don't think he "overshadows" De Niro.

Full disclosure:  Sometimes Robert De Niro is a bit hammy or "over the top", but I enjoy that about him. In fact, I often enjoy so-called "hamminess" in actors, I find it entertaining and quite often funny.    (John Barrymore, Vincent Price,  even Dan Duryea sometimes.  I love all those guys.  Oh, and yes, Nicholas Cage, too.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I know everybody despises Leonardo these days,  but I kind of like him.  I think he has a comic side that's not fully recognized.  I thought he was hilarious in The Wolf of Wall Street.

Leo was good in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood too.  I love the scenes where he plays Rick Dalton playing the sleazy Western villain. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

Keanu Reeves as a "national treasure", must be a national treasure of Canada's, since Keanu is a Canadian actor.

I do agree, he's not a very good actor, really, but there's something kind of likable about him.

I realize I'm being a bit of a contrarian here, but I'll say about Nicholas Cage what I said about Tom Cruise:  I like Mr. Cage, and I like a lot of the movies he was in.  At least, the ones before 2005 or so, after which time I agree, he seemed to have gone bonkers.  But I have to like him for the sake of the many good, and sometimes fantastic, films he was in before he apparently lost all judgement.

I would never say I was a huge Nicholas Cage fan, but that's really only because he doesn't tend to appear in films that I'm interested in.  With that said, he is awesome in one of my favorite 80s movies: Valley Girl.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Agreed, speedy, Mickey Rooney is not only not attractive, he's downright UNattractive  (to me, anyway.)

However, he has been in some good films, he wasn't just Andy Hardy.  At least a couple of interesting film noirs:  Quicksand,  and  Drive a Crooked Road.

With that said, even if Mickey Rooney is in a film it won't keep my from watching the film.  Though, I haven't seen any of the Andy Hardy movies.  If I did watch one, it'd probably be for one of his leading ladies, rather than for him.  I do own a Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland box set, but that was only purchased for Judy. 

I just can't believe that Rooney was such a lady killer.  There is nothing appealing about him at all.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

First here MissW, I've always LOVED Deborah Kerr, and so secondly, yes, I think you WERE wrong with your above broad brush comment, "Americans automatically think anyone with a British accent is "snobbish", AND even though I DO think as you can probably imagine that their continued use of the superfluous 'u' and their arguments and rationales for its continued use COULD often rightly be construed in that way..."snobbish"!  LOL  ;) 

And thirdly, and because you brought up the lovely Miss Kerr and her performance in  From Here to Eternity, I thought you might be interested in watching the following. It's her own recollections as to how she got the part in that film:

Had no idea Joan Crawford was up for that part.   Can't see that working too well.  She'd want to be too glamorous for the part, I think.  Even in Mildred Pierce, she got to glam it up midway through the picture.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

Had no idea Joan Crawford was up for that part.   Can't see that working too well.  She'd want to be too glamorous for the part, I think.  Even in Mildred Pierce, she got to glam it up midway through the picture.

I think I remember hearing this in the past sometime. 

Sure glad though that Kerr was cast against type and got the part instead, as I think watching Crawford playing yet another "wayward wife" would have been a bit too "de rigueur" and lessened the whole effect of the picture's impact. For me anyway.

(...and besides, I can see Lancaster's sergeant falling MUCH more easily for Kerr than I could Crawford...but then again, perhaps I'm just projecting MY desires on Lancaster's character here, as I've always thought Kerr much more desirable than Crawford ever was)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

I think I remember hearing this in the past sometime. 

Sure glad though that Kerr was cast against type and got the part instead, as I think watching Crawford playing yet another "wayward wife" would have been a bit too "de rigueur" and lessened the whole effect of the picture's impact. For me anyway.

(...and besides, I can see Lancaster's sergeant falling MUCH more easily for Kerr than I could Crawford)

I can't picture Crawford and Lancaster wrapped in each others' arms in the surf on the beach.  I could picture Crawford however as one of the "hostesses."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I can't picture Crawford and Lancaster wrapped in each others' arms in the surf on the beach.  I could picture Crawford however as one of the "hostesses."

She was in FEMALE ON THE BEACH (1955) with Jeff Chandler.

screen

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

True, and a good point I'd say.

But, considering that the only "hostess" part of any substance was the one Donna Reed played, and that that would have been the only one big enough for Joan to have accepted, AND considering that Joan would have perhaps been a little too old at the time to play Clift's love interest...

(...well, like I said, I liked your point up there, speedy)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

She was in FEMALE ON THE BEACH (1955) with Jeff Chandler.

screen

Good counter argument here, TB.

(...still though, I'm sure glad it was Deborah on that beach with Burt and not Joan)

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Leo was good in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood too.  I love the scenes where he plays Rick Dalton playing the sleazy Western villain. 

The girl's reaction was great. "That was the best acting I've ever seen in my whole life." 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Dargo said:

True, and a good point I'd say.

But, considering that the only "hostess" part of any substance was the one Donna Reed played, and that that would have been the only one big enough for Joan to have accepted, AND considering that Joan would have perhaps been a little too old at the time to play Clift's love interest...

(...well, like I said, I liked your point up there, speedy)

Weirdly, Joan's persona doesn't seem like she would be the type to hook up with a man while she's married, whereas prim and proper Deborah Kerr manages to seem like the type who would.  I can't explain that either.  However, Crawford does seem like she'd be good at being a "hostess" but I agree that she would have been too old for Montgomery Clift and I cannot imagine her with Sinatra.  I bet she would have demanded a larger part than Reed's if she were cast.   In films like Mildred Pierce, she casually hooks up with Monty and in The Women she is brazen in her flirtation with Norma Shearer's husband, but I just can't picture her playing the bitter wife of Phillip "Mr. Vivian Vance" Ober. She'd probably want Burt Lancaster's part and have Deborah Kerr's part re-written for a man! 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...still though, I'm sure glad it was Deborah on that beach with Burt and not Joan)

Joan kind of has a "deer in headlights" look in this picture and seems to have no idea why she's laying on this man's chest.  It's not a particularly romantic or sexy picture.  I think it's the eyebrows and the facial expression.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Athos said:

The girl's reaction was great. "That was the best acting I've ever seen in my whole life." 

I love the part when he's beating himself up for being a drunk and screwing up multiple takes on the scene... and then giving himself an ultimatum to sober up and get this film completed.

The most bittersweet part of that whole segment of the film is seeing the late Luke Perry :( Though I would have never recognized him if I hadn't known he was in the film.  

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Rudy's Girl said:

Marilyn Monroe. Do I need to say why? The only movie that I like her in is River of No Return. And it's mostly her singing of the title song that I like, definitely not the acting.

Do you need to say why what?  Why you don't like her?  Of course you do.  Marilyn is completely charming and funny and likable.  If you do not like her, fair enough, but I think you do need to say why.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, MusicalsGalore said:

I respect every Actor/Actress, but there are few I just don't like :

Spencer Tracy 

Joan Crawford 

Edward G. Robinson 

I'm not crazy about Spencer Tracy either, and Joan Crawford is sort of a special acquired taste.  But Edward G.  ?  What's not to like?  Such a good actor, and in so many great movies.

10 hours ago, ClassiqueFan said:

Jean Arthur : annoying voice
Tony Franciosa : smug pr*ck
John Cassavetes : another smug pr*ck
Jane Russell : just don't like her looks (trailer trash?)
Frank Sinatra : punk-ish
James Stewart : because, awshucks

Actors I used to like but can't stand anymore: Peter Sellers
Actors I could never stomach: Tom Cruise, Adam Sandler, Ben Affleck, Mel Gibson, Chevy Chase.

P.S. Marlon what's-his-name

Whoa !  These newbies like to come on strong !  I'll pass on most of the people you dis,  but can't stay quiet about Frank Sinatra or James Stewart.  Frank, "punkish"?  What the hell does that even mean?    As for James Stewart, he was only like that ( "aw shucks")  in his early films.  He developed into a very fine actor, one of the best of Hollywood's greats.

Check him out in any of his work with Hitchcock or Anthony Mann-- there's no "aw shucks" persona, I assure you.

(Also, I love Jean Arthur,  and one of the reasons why is her voice. However, since I know there are some who don't like her unusual voice, I won't argue that one.)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Thanks Dargo. I didn't really post it as a counter argument, though. My thought is that if she didn't get the role in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY, it may have been why she took FEMALE ON THE BEACH a few years later, to show Harry Cohn and the folks at Columbia that she could have done the role Kerr did.

I think Crawford was very deliberate with the scripts she chose. 

As for the deer in the headlights comment, she had very expressive eyes...going back to her training in silent horror films.

Here she is in a shot from another scene in FEMALE ON THE BEACH. The character is supposed to be haunted and have dis-ease. And Crawford always plays this kind of material so well:

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.09.21 PM

9 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Orson Welles. I cannot stand him. Why? I don't know. I just never could. So I am probably one of the only people around here that hasn't seen Citizen Kane.

9 hours ago, Janet0312 said:

Woody Allen is another I can't stand. 

Interesting, because both of these men are more known for their work as directors than as actors.  And as directors, they're both outstanding.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dargo said:

MissW, the joke up there that you seem confused about is that Tom dislikes Laur..ahem..I mean the actor who shall remain nameless, SO much that he would prefer that people would refer to him as just that in Tom's presence, "the actor who shall remain nameless".

(...and thus my posting of that old Abbott & Costello and Three Stooges routine called either "Niagara Falls" or "Her name was Martha") 

Dargo, sorry,  I did not recognize the pic, and therefore was confused as to what you were talking about.  The reason I did not recognize the pic is because I've never seen an Abbott and Costello movie.  (I know, how can I call myself a movie fan?)  So, I didn't know what you were referring to.

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Yes I do and, by the way, my name's not Shirley.

I have now gone 30 years with an unblemished record as charter member of the He Who Shall Not Be Named Club. In fact, not only am I a charter member but I'm the only member. Dargo tried to join but he failed. Done in by a joke! I had high hopes for him, too.

Nevertheless, I entreat all who are equally turned off by this cold fish actor who exudes the excitement of clam chowder to become a member of the club and never again let his name pass their lips or be typed by their keyboard.

image.jpeg.d2df92fd8fd28a7d7e3f1490629577c2.jpeg

He who must not be named.

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

And she's kind'a hot in The Harvey Girls too! 

;)

(...so, by now you've gotten my "Slowly Tom Turns...step by step" joke up there I presume, and how about that Deborah Kerr YouTube clip up there?...I ask because you haven't acknowledged either)

Dargs,  I'd been posting kind of heavily on this thread, maybe inappropriately so, for a while.  So I thought it behooved me to take a bit of a break from it. Also, I took time off to watch a movie.  Not "The Searchers",  which you may be aware TCM was airing tonight.  No, something from my own DVD collection:  "The Big Combo".

• Thanks 1