Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thanks, TCM, for Dolores del Rio day!

She's on my list, at the top of my list of personal favorites.  My top movies of hers are, of course, Flying Down to Rio (1933).  But one that I watch repeatedly is Madame Du Barry (1934).  She's effervescent, irreverent.  You can tell she really enjoyed playing the role.  Jacqueline Stewart noted that because of her accent she was denied better roles.  This one gives us an idea of what she could do.  Not really a complaint, but I wonder if they could have aired some of her work in Mexico, where she was a big big star.  Grateful for the two silent greats The Trail of '98 (1928), and Ramona (1928).  But my favorite silent of hers is What Price Glory (1926).  Such a fine actress and lady deserves a pic:

1280026972_168ca7aa6e_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

She's on my list, at the top of my list of personal favorites.  My top movies of hers are, of course, Flying Down to Rio (1933).  But one that I watch repeatedly is Madame Du Barry (1934).  She's effervescent, irreverent.  You can tell she really enjoyed playing the role.  Jacqueline Stewart noted that because of her accent she was denied better roles.  This one gives us an idea of what she could do.  Not really a complaint, but I wonder if they could have aired some of her work in Mexico, where she was a big big star.  Grateful for the two silent greats The Trail of '98 (1928), and Ramona (1928).  But my favorite silent of hers is What Price Glory (1926).  Such a fine actress and lady deserves a pic:

Funny, but as far as I can tell after watching a couple of her films this evening, her accent wasn't any more pronounced than Garbo's or Dietrich's, and probably even less so than either of these two Teutonic ladies.

(...and I thought her voice was as lovely as her face)

• Like 3

I taped several of her movies and after reading the synopsis of "Cheyenne Autumn" I am intrigued to see (wait for it . . .) a Western which I normally avoid like the plague.  Think I'll catch it on On Demand.

12 hours ago, slaytonf said:

With regards to her work in Mexico;  I wonder if any are available with English had subtitles.    If yes,  I wish TCM had shown a few of those. 

Either way,  it was great that TCM featured Del Rio.  

7 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

With regards to her work in Mexico;  I wonder if any are available with English had subtitles.    If yes,  I wish TCM had shown a few of those. 

Either way,  it was great that TCM featured Del Rio.  

Dolores del Rio didn't make any films in Mexico. I think he meant TCM should have aired that day's movies in Mexico. Either that or he got her confused with Maria Felix?

27 minutes ago, Sukhov said:

Dolores del Rio didn't make any films in Mexico. I think he meant TCM should have aired that day's movies in Mexico. Either that or he got her confused with Maria Felix?

Are we talking about the same person?   This is from Wiki:

"When Del Río returned to her native country, she became one of the more important stars of the Golden Age of Mexican cinema. A series of Mexican films starring Del Rio, are considered classic masterpieces and helped boost Mexican cinema worldwide. Of them stands out the critically acclaimed María Candelaria (1943). Del Río remained active mainly in Mexican films throughout the 1950s".

PS:    As for what the OP meant by "I wonder if they could have aired some of her work in Mexico":    Yea,  I can see that interpreted both ways.

Also,  I believe 'he' is a 'she' (as in the OP),  but I could be mistaken. 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

I watched some of FLYING DOWN TO RIO last night.  I've seen it before, but that airplane dancing girls sequence is always amazing...

I have seen the film a few times but my wife hadn't.    She was getting tired but I convinced her to stay awake until The Carioca song dance number.   She was very glad that she did and just loved that scene.       After that scene was over I was tried and went to bed but she stayed because she wanted to see the rest of the film.

What a scene!    (but that airplane dancing girl sequence is also amazing).         

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, Dolores Del Rio's day was a perfect opportunity for TCM to show some non-English language films. Too bad they didn't feature films she made in Mexico during the 1940s.

I agree,  and that is why I asked if there were digital versions of some of her made-in-Mexico 40s films with English subtitles,  that TCM could have leased.      

I wouldn't watch a non-English language film without subtitles (but I have no issue with subtitles).      

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree,  and that is why I asked if there were digital versions of some of her made-in-Mexico 40s films with English subtitles,  that TCM could have leased.      

I wouldn't watch a non-English language film without subtitles (but I have no issue with subtitles).      

I would watch a non-English language film without subtitles. I speak Spanish. I've been studying Farsi. It helps me learn the language better if I cannot rely on English translation.

Plus I feel like I can gain a greater appreciation of the visuals if I am not always listening to dialogue in my native/first language.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I would watch a non-English language film without subtitles. I speak Spanish. I've been studying Farsi. It helps me learn the language better if I cannot rely on English translation.

Plus I feel like I can gain a greater appreciation of the visuals if I am not always listening to dialogue in my native/first language.

I should have said I wouldn't watch a film where the majority of the dialog was in a language I don't understand.    

My wife is fluent in 4 languages (Italian,  English,  French and Spanish),    so we watch many foreign films,  with me reading subtitles and her not having to.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think it's interesting that you're learning Farsi.  

I have often watched non-English films without subtitles.  I avoid dubbed in English movies.  I can watch Italian and French movies and want very much to hear the original even if I don't understand all of the words.  And German is easier to understand than some people realize. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I think it's interesting that you're learning Farsi.  

I have often watched non-English films without subtitles.  I avoid dubbed in English movies.  I can watch Italian and French movies and want very much to hear the original even if I don't understand all of the words.  And German is easier to understand than some people realize. 

Thanks. I think German is a "cousin" of English. And Spanish shares similarities with Italian.

• Thanks 1

To forestall the thread from exile to chitchat land:

Just watched In Caliente (1935).  From its description I expected one of those annoying romances between antagonists.  Lots of shouting and noise intended to substitute for storytelling and dialog.  Well, there were irritating parts, but Dolores del Rio's presence more than compensated for it, despite Pat O'Brien's not being quite her romantic counterpart.  She turned what might have been a formulaic exercise, only notable for Busby Berkeely's musical numbers, into something engaging and entertaining.  The ending was weak--the writers at a loss to resolve the story resorting to the usual chase and entanglement with the law.  But most endings are weak, so I don't fault it.  One thing that might have improved it is having a different profession for Miss del Rio's character, who was a dancer.  She sang well, but she wasn't a dancer.  Whenever you have an actor portray a dancer who isn't a dancer herself, it can be embarrassing to watch, though Busby Berkeley is generous to her and avoids the worst tricks others use to disguise it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are we talking about the same person?   This is from Wiki:

"When Del Río returned to her native country, she became one of the more important stars of the Golden Age of Mexican cinema. A series of Mexican films starring Del Rio, are considered classic masterpieces and helped boost Mexican cinema worldwide. Of them stands out the critically acclaimed María Candelaria (1943). Del Río remained active mainly in Mexican films throughout the 1950s".

PS:    As for what the OP meant by "I wonder if they could have aired some of her work in Mexico":    Yea,  I can see that interpreted both ways.

Also,  I believe 'he' is a 'she' (as in the OP),  but I could be mistaken. 

One of those films was La Otra, a film I've wanted to see for ages. It was remade with Bette Davis as Dead Ringer. Would be great if TCM would show both films back to back. (SIGH).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, slaytonf said:

She is the only actress I know of who could play Scarlet O'Hara as well as Vivien Leigh.

Curious what makes you believe that?     I don't recall that she was given a screen test.

(but I do see similarities  in their screen persona)

I'd like to elaborate.  It's not just because her persona had similarities with Vivien Leigh.  When she lit up, the screen lit up.  She had that magic that could energize it.  She was lively, vital, and commanded attention.  Her subtlety of expression let you watch the ebb and flow of her emotions and thoughts pass across her face. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1