Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Biden Time

Bogie56

• 2 weeks later...

Man is charged with threatening Biden after Secret Service intercepts him at Cracker Barrel in Maryland: Claims he was 'told by God to lop off the head of the serpent in DC' and the president would 'suffer fatal head wound'

53511247-0-image-a-161_1643438261911.jpg

Construction contractor Scott Merryman has been charged with attempting to assassinate President Biden after he claimed he was 'told by God to cop off the head of the serpent in DC'

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

Yikes! That's almost 26K per borrower! For once I can truthfully say - Good for the Biden administration. So many of those for profit colleges are shameless.  It's too bad the government can't claw that money back from the colleges. The company I used to work for got burned with a bunch of grads from a local for-profit college. They paid tuition for employees who were students and ended up with a bunch of so-called engineering grads who never had one calculus class or one physics class. But they did know how to create a spreadsheet! The company had to come out with a policy saying that they would not pay for any classes from that college ever again. The engineering grads had two semesters of programming. The first semester consisted of reading the first half of The Pragmatic Programmer. The second semester consisted of reading the second half. Seriously. Unless you are a CS person you probably don't get what I'm talking about. But on an exaggerated scale it would be like claiming you are a surgeon based on having read the Ginsu knife catalog. 

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/collegeinc/

• Like 2

I agree with cancelling debt at for profit colleges that did not deliver on their promises.  Back in 70's I needed a job and a for profit college hired me as an instructor.  I quit after a year.  Eventually they closed down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ElCid said:

I agree with cancelling debt at for profit colleges that did not deliver on their promises.  Back in 70's I needed a job and a for profit college hired me as an instructor.  I quit after a year.  Eventually they closed down.

I see your point but I would have only canceled around 50% of the debt (those with the debt selected these colleges and should still have some burden for their poor choice).    Also,  what are the Feds doing to ensure no more loans backed by the Feds, to for-profits colleges.

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I see your point but I would have only canceled around 50% of the debt (those with the debt selected these colleges and should still have some burden for their poor choice).    Also,  what are the Feds doing to ensure no more loans backed by the Feds, to for-profits colleges.

I'm OK with cancelling all of the debt in this case.  Their situations are different from, for example, somebody who gets a master's degree in opera from NYU. The NYU student is dealing with an honest and able institution. The problem is with the student who goes into debt and does not investigate their own job opportunities in that profession, even with a quality degree in that subject. The student at the for-profit college is more than likely trying to get a degree in something for which there is a market. The problem is that the institution is dishonest, does not produce a quality product, and in some cases just goes out of business before the student can complete a degree. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, mr6666 said:

Now Pres. Biden needs to waive the 1920 Jones Act which prohibits using non-US ships to transport petroleum products from one US port to another US port.  There are very few (if any) US owned, flagged and crewed tankers today.

Congress needs to repeal the act ASAP.

According to an NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll as published in The Week magazine, Pres. Biden's approval rating rose to 47% after his State of the Union speech.  52% approve of how Biden is handling the war in Ukraine.  69% say they support sanctions against Russia even if it means higher gas prices.