Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Describe an actor in ONE WORD.

8 hours ago, lydecker said:

Exquisite

MV5BOTg5YTQ1ZWQtZDhhZC00ZWU2LWE4MjItNGY2MzRiMDc2MWVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_.jpg

Pretty good word in description of the lovely Miss Tierney here, lydecker.

However, MINE for her would have to be: "overbite"!

(...the SEXIEST overbite in ALL of Hollywood history mind you, but still "overbite"...and not that there's anything wrong with that, you understand)  ;)

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

What's the story?

The following here sewhite, is an excerpt from Robert Young's wiki bio page under the heading of his personal life:

Despite his trademark portrayal of happy, well-adjusted characters, Young's bitterness toward Hollywood casting practices never diminished, and he suffered from depression and alcoholism, culminating in a suicide attempt in January 1991.[3] Later, he spoke candidly about his personal problems in an effort to encourage others to seek help. The Robert Young Community Mental Health Center is named after Young in honor of his work toward passage of the 708 Illinois Tax Referendum, which established a property tax to support mental health programs in his home state. The Center started in Rock Island, Illinois and now has sites in both Iowa and Illinois, as part of the Quad-City Metro Area.[4

• Thanks 2

I didn't know. I sorta made up my own playlist for a Robert Young SUTS day (all 12 of my picks are from the '30s) and have been watching them on AmazonPrime over the course of the month, so I'm unusually fixated on him at the moment.

57 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I didn't know. I sorta made up my own playlist for a Robert Young SUTS day (all 12 of my picks are from the '30s) and have been watching them on AmazonPrime over the course of the month, so I'm unusually fixated on him at the moment.

I always liked Robert Young, and probably because I remembered him so fondly from my youth on the classic TV series 'Father Knows Best'. A series I believe is too often unfairly dismissed by many as being an "unreal depiction of '50s America family life". And when in fact, while Robert Young played a good father in it, his role was never written nor did he ever play the part as a "perfect" one. And thus, there were many episodes in which his imperfections as a human being were allowed to be shown, and which I always felt he played very well.

And then from 1969-1976, he starred in another hit television series, 'Marcus Welby, M.D.' and where he again played another very likeable character. 

(...in the last 30 years or so, I've discovered I've most liked his earlier big screen career performances in the films he made during the 1940s such as,  H.M. Pulham, Esq., The Enchanted Cottage, and Crossfire)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I really like Robert Young, too!  Little did I know, until TCM came along, that kindly Dr. Marcus  Welby could so convincingly play such a heel as he did in "They Won't Believe Me." Like Fred MacMurray, Young  doesn't get enough credit for being able to play everything from comedy to noir.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

I couldn't say how honest Sidney Poitier really

Honest referred to Haruko Sugimura.  Her portrayal of characters, likeable or not, was  always genuine.

• Thanks 1