Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would Disney Exist If Not for Universal?

In 1927, Walt Disney created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit for Universal. After he was fired, Walt was left with nothing, and swore he'd never create a character he didn't own the rights to again. It was during this time he knew he needed to come up with a new character, and Mickey Mouse was born. If it wasn't for his firing and the loss of Oswald, would we have Mickey Mouse and the Disney empire today?

• Like 3
5 hours ago, antoniacarlotta said:

In 1927, Walt Disney created Oswald the Lucky Rabbit for Universal. After he was fired, Walt was left with nothing, and swore he'd never create a character he didn't own the rights to again. It was during this time he knew he needed to come up with a new character, and Mickey Mouse was born. If it wasn't for his firing and the loss of Oswald, would we have Mickey Mouse and the Disney empire today?

Uh, AHEM:  Disney created Oswald for his own studio, and saw it stolen, along with his entire animation staff except for Ub Iwerks, while he was away on a business trip.   He didn't get it back until Bob Iger negotiated a hostage exchange for some ESPN broadcasters in the mid-00's.

For good or bad, Disney never worked for anybody but his own business (with the exception of RKO and the Army)--Is this the official Universal alibi?  Why the sudden new story?

27 minutes ago, antoniacarlotta said:

You've got me reading all about the history of Pepsi and Coke now...

Long story, really short:  A leading drugstore chain wanted Coke to give him a discount since he was selling so much product. Coke said no.

So he went down to bankruptcy court and bought Pepsi. Then began to produce his own colas for his drugstores.

• Like 1

Well we're subscribed to AntoniaCarlotta's videos & watched this shortly after it became live. I was very familiar with this story and thought the video was excellent-AND- learned something new: how Oswald's name was chosen!

MrTiki had zero knowledge about early Disney animation & the Alice series, I'm amazed you can get those early clips to illustrate your story! Thanks for making these!

• Like 1

Universal had Walter Lantz turning out cartoons(Woody Woodpecker, Andy Panda, Chilly Willy) for them as well, but I don't believe they were quite as popular as Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny and Tom & Jerry were.

Interestingly enough, Lantz had a similar issue with ownership rights & Universal.  The new management at Universal wanted licensing and merchandising rights to his characters.  He refused and went independent for a year or two, releasing some cartoons through UA.  He  eventually settled and Lantz returned to the Universal family in 1951.

It might be interesting to note that MORTIMER was the original name given to the cute little mouse.  Walt's wife suggested a name change.  Not sure who came up with Mickey, but it stuck, caught on and how!

OSWALD was tried again with that name originally given to the character who would shortly then be more well known as DONALD Duck.  

Lucky for them, it was probably Walt Disney's wife who named their children!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Is it me or is Carla Laemle cute as a button?

Yes she is. Quite so. And also well-spoken for someone so young.

And I've been wondering ever since she first made her presence known on these boards a few years ago, why it is the suits at TCM haven't tapped her for an appearance as a guest host.

(...I think she'd be a perfect pick for that gig)

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yes she is. Quite so. And also well spoken for someone so young.

And I've been wondering ever since she first made her presence known on these boards a few years ago, why it is the suits at TCM haven't tapped her for an appearance as a guest host.

(...I think she'd be a perfect pick for that gig)

I think so to. I love her  stories. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Wouldn't that be great? Who better for a host? 

I know! I always thought she'd have been particularly good as a host for that "Essentials Jr." series TCM ran a while back. 

• Like 1
On 8/28/2020 at 5:13 PM, antoniacarlotta said:

Big myth Mickey Mouse is a Walt Disney creation..it is NOT.

Created by Ub Iwerks.  

7570438-6505919-image-a-6_1545148283462.

Steamboat-Willie-Intro.png

Informative documentary, Disney has received too much credit while Iwerks is being mostly forgotten.

418X826NRRL._AC_.jpg

On 8/29/2020 at 5:00 PM, spence said:

That's silly, as much as i rank Universal superior down here in orlando, it's the other way around  Nothing's bigger then THE MAGIC KINGDOM

If ONLY WALT KNEW, HUH

I wonder if Old Man Disney would have been surprised that his dream is still as popular today and maybe even more so than way back when.

8 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

I wonder if Old Man Disney would have been surprised that his dream is still as popular today and maybe even more so than way back when.

Yeah well, what I wonder is if Old Man Disney would have been surprised to learn Disneyland employees would be allowed to grow facial hair since the year 2000???

Well, the male employees anyway, of course.

(...bet the ol' guy is probably spinnin' in his grave at THAT one...or would that be his "cryogenic chamber"...no, grave huh...that old wive's tale has finally been put to rest once and for all, huh) ;)

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah well, what I wonder is if Old Man Disney would have been surprised to learn Disneyland employees would be allowed to grow facial hair since the year 2000???

Well, the male employees anyway, of course.

(...bet the ol' guy is probably spinnin' in his grave at THAT one...or would that be his "cryogenic chamber"...no, grave huh...that old wive's tale has finally been put to rest once and for all, huh) ;)

Is that gun you're chomping on made of licorice?

Just now, Janet0312 said:

Is that gun you're chomping on made of licorice?

Yep, licorice.

There's a scene in the Marx Bro film Go West in which Groucho begins chewing it at one point.

(...uh-huh, both at one point in the movie AND at one point of the gun, JUST to make this clear!)  ;)