Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Actor Chadwick Boseman, who starred as the title character in the 2018 movie sensation "Black Panther," has died of colon cancer at the age of 43. He had battled the disease for four years.

His family announced his death through social media: "It is with immeasurable grief that we confirm the passing of Chadwick Boseman. Chadwick was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer in 2016, and battled with it these last 4 years as it progressed to Stage IV. A true fighter, Chadwick persevered through it all, and brought you many of the films you have come to love so much. From Marshall to Da 5 Bloods, August Wilson's Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and several more, all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy. It was the honor of his career to bring King T'Challa to life in Black Panther. He died in his home, with his wife and family by his side. The family thanks you for your love and prayers, and asks that you continue to respect their privacy during this difficult time."

During the past decade, Boseman also earned a reputation for his portrayals of real-life African-American heroes, including Jackie Robinson, James Brown and Thurgood Marshall.

See the source image

Directed by Ryan Coogler, "Black Panther" -- based on the Marvel Comics superhero -- was the biggest domestic blockbuster for 2018. It earned more than $700 million in North America and currently ranks fourth on the all-time domestic list behind "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" (2015, $937 million), "Avengers: Endgame" (2019, $858 million)  and "Avatar" (2009, $760.5 million).

The film also was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture. It won for Best Original Score (Ludwig Göransson), Best Costume Design (Ruth E. Carter) and Best Production Design (Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart).

Boseman also appeared as King T'Challa of the African kingdom of Wakanda in three other films: "Captain America: Civil War" (2016), "Avengers: Infinity War" (2018) and "Avengers: Endgame." There had been talk of a "Black Panther" sequel. 

See the source image

In the 2013 film "42," Boseman neither resembled baseball great Jackie Robinson (1919-1972) nor sounded like him. But when the character donned his Brooklyn Dodgers uniform and walked onto a perfect CGI re-creation of  Ebbets Field in 1947, you believed he was the Hall of Famer. Meanwhile, Boseman's co-star Harrison Ford was the spittin' image of the shrewd G.M. Branch Rickey, who broke baseball's color barrier by signing Robinson to a groundbreaking contract with the Dodgers in 1945.

The 2014 James Brown biopic "Get On Up" wasn't a major box-office hit, but Boseman's performances as "The Godfather of Soul" (1933-2006) were dazzling. Some of his own singing made the cut.

In "Marshall" (2017), Boseman (pictured below with actor Josh Gad) portrayed the future NAACP chief counsel (1908-1993) who won the landmark school desegregation case "Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka" in 1954 and became the first African-American member of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1967.

See the source image

Boseman lampooned T'Challa in a memorable April 7, 2018 episode of NBC's late-night sketch comedy series "Saturday Night Live." He was the show's guest host.

Boseman can be seen in Spike Lee's Vietnam War drama "Da 5 Bloods," which is available on Netflix. He appears as "Stormin'" Norman Earl Holloway, a U.S. Army unit leader killed in action during the conflict. Decades later, surviving  members of the squad --  Paul (Delroy Lindo), Otis (Clarke Peters), Eddie (Norm Lewis) and Melvin (Isiah Whitlock, Jr.) -- return to Indochina to look for Holloway's remains and a buried treasure. The veterans --and Paul's son David (Jonathan Majors), who accompanies them -- are all named for original members of The Temptations. Boseman's character likely is named for Norman Whitfield, who produced many of the Motown group's hits during the late 1960s and early 1970s. 

See the source image

aTZvxAAY_bigger.jpg

MLB

We are devastated by the tragic loss of Chadwick Boseman. His transcendent performance in “42” will stand the test of time and serve as a powerful vehicle to tell Jackie’s story to audiences for generations to come.

11:11 PM · Aug 28, 2020·Twitter Web App

vDDgg9Ra_bigger.jpg

We are all heartbroken by the tragic loss of #chadwickboseman -- an extraordinary talent, and one of the most gentle and giving souls I have ever met. He brought enormous strength, dignity and depth to his groundbreaking role of Black Panther; shattering myths and stereotypes, becoming a long-awaited hero to millions around the world, and inspiring us all to dream bigger and demand more than the status quo.  We mourn all that he was, as well as everything he was destined to become. For his friends and millions of fans, his absence from the screen is only eclipsed by his absence from our lives.  All of us at Disney send our prayers and heartfelt condolences to his family.

11:47 PM · Aug 28, 2020·Twitter Web App

fujyAlLB_bigger.jpg

I keep thinking about my 3-year-old in his Black Panther costume. How he wore it almost every day when he got it, refused to take it off. The way he walked around saying “I’m the Black Panther.” How happy it made him. What Chadwick gave us was immeasurable. What an enormous loss.

10:37 PM · Aug 28, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

b4SrAMNH_bigger.jpg

I’m so shocked and heartbroken about Chadwick. He was such a bright light, such a gifted performer. He brought grace, elegance and power to everything he did. He always seemed to carry our ancestors with him. And now he joins them far too soon.

11:49 PM · Aug 28, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

U6yY9zOp_bigger.jpg

Such a sad loss. Craziest thing when you figure you’ll see someone again, and then suddenly, you know you won’t. Every day alive merits gratitude.

11:56 PM · Aug 28, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

6Mc_OzCQ_bigger.jpg

Chadwick Boseman had a mystery benefactor who helped send him to Oxford to study the theater. Years later, he discovered it was Denzel Washington. Washington produced Boseman’s final film, which will air on Netflix later this year

2:45 AM · Aug 29, 2020 from New Hampshire, USA·Twitter for iPhone

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3
  • jakeem changed the title to Actor Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Very sad ; such a bright talent and seemingly hopeful until the end. ~RIP, Mr. Boseman.

Way too young to die.  Mr. Chadwick's death from colon cancer should be a reminder to people to be tested.  If colon cancer runs in your family, your doctor should recommend you get tested earlier than 50.  I'm  amazed that he kept the details of his failing health so hidden.  I don't think I had really heard of him until Black Panther.  Great talent and a great loss.  My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

I'm really not too familiar with this man's work.  Never got around to seeing "42" and only caught a short bit of his movie about Thurgood Marshall,  And BLACK PANTHER didn't interest me at all(most superhero movies don't these days)  But what impressed me about him the most was.....

In responding to the news of his death, most people who knew him and worked with him more hailed the quality of his character than his work.  And all said his work showed the proof of unlimited talent.  So, in short....

He was a much better PERSON than he was an actor, but then, he was a top notch actor, so.......

Sepiatone

I saw him on SNL after his great success in" Black Panther ".

He had the world of Cinema and Hollywood at his feet.

What a future in film I thought he had in store.

What a loss for the movies and for his young fans.

There hasn't been a comprable lost like this for Hollywood since James Dean.

whatta crock of politically correct HS heaping so much praise on Boseman.

I never saw any of his films.

save the adoration for a real cinematic black icon like Sidney Poitier.

"if you must play this filthy games, play them in your own home and not in my classroom!"

The British Invaders Blogathon: To Sir, With Love | Classic Movie Hub Blog

12 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

whatta crock of politically correct HS heaping so much praise on Boseman.

I never saw any of his films.

save the adoration for a real cinematic black icon like Sidney Poitier.

"if you must play this filthy games, play them in your own home and not in my classroom!"

The British Invaders Blogathon: To Sir, With Love | Classic Movie Hub Blog

Yanno, it is possible to praise them both.

Or anyone else you happen to like.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

Yanno, it is possible to praise them both.

Or anyone else you happen to like.

nobody bleeping even heard of this guy before a few years ago while poitier has been a household name for more than 50 years.

• Thanks 1