Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Percentage of Your Favourite Films Are Wrapped Up In Childhood Nostalgia?

20 hours ago, NoShear said:

In defense of jamesjazzguitar, I was already going to suggest that some parents were stricter about television viewing. Also, unless it was raining, kids back then were often outside playing -  not watching some old movie. In the San Fernando Valley during the Seventies, boys spent hours riding around on their Schwinn Sting-Ray style bikes, gettin' into no-good and playing Little League baseball.....

I even remember this cute tomboy pitcher with her cut stirrup stockings and adidas SUPERLIGHTs: bad-news-bears_l-1.jpg?w=300 !

Same here.  But the "no TV during day" restriction was my stepfather's.  And Mom didn't meet and marry him until I was 8 years old, I did manage to see many old flicks by then.  ;) 

Plus, like NoShear said, there was the rainy day thing.  Or excessive cold in winter.  Letting us watch the tube at least kept us out of her hair enough to let her get what she was doing done.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Same here.  But the "no TV during day" restriction was my stepfather's.  And Mom didn't meet and marry him until I was 8 years old, I did manage to see many old flicks by then.  ;) 

Plus, like NoShear said, there was the rainy day thing.  Or excessive cold in winter.  Letting us watch the tube at least kept us out of her hair enough to let her get what she was doing done.  ;) 

Sepiatone

I grew up in it-never-rains-in-California (ha ha);   But yea,  no day-time TV,  mostly homework,  mandatory reading, and when allowed to play,  only outside.

At night my mom controlled the one T.V. until I was about 10 and we got another one that was put into my parent's bedroom.    Thus the 4 kids had their own TV but my older brother controlled what was watched.    (thus the only childhood nostalgia I recall was being punched if I changed the station).

Hey,  but I did learn to read music and play an instrument.   My violin teacher was a member of the NBC orchestra and can be heard on the Bonanza theme,,,  if what he told me was true.        My mom was what is now called an Asian Tiger mom.    

PS:  I edited this post as a test of the new format.     

Edited by jamesjazzguitar
testing edit reason feature
  • Like 2

I recall an incident with some embarrassment prompted by my 7-year-old hero worship of Errol Flynn.

I had just seen Silver River, a western in which Errol played a bit of a rat, for a change, but, to my young mind, he was still my hero. There's a scene in which Flynn sucker punches Barton MacLane before crashing a chair over his head. MacLane is his usual objectionable self in the film but Flynn's dispatch of him is still, in retrospect, quite ruthless. As a young Flynn fan, though, I didn't see it that way and revelled in the moment.

So as soon as the film finished I called on my best friend, Stevie, and walked with him to a spot near our houses. I then placed my hand on his shoulder (just like Flynn did to MacLane in the film) and punched him in the stomach. Thank goodness there was no chair nearby. Stevie ran home crying and I wandered in a slightly bewildered state back to my home, not feeling so good about myself. What had looked so cool when Flynn did it on my TV just  an hour or so before didn't feel so cool when I did it to poor unsuspecting Stevie. Besides, Barton MacLane was a louse in the film and Stevie wasn't.

Feeling guilty about my behaviour, I made a full confession of it to my Mom who insisted that I immediately go to Stevie's house and apologize to him. I took a slow, very slow, walk over to Stevie's place. His mother answered the door, with Stevie, still sniffling, peering out at me from behind her. I stumbled out some kind of apology to him and left. Well, Stevie eventually forgave me, bless him, and I never again let a scene in a movie influence me into any act of violence again.

If there's a lesson to be learned here I suppose it's in regard to the malleability of some minds when it comes to those flickering images on the screen. My age at the time is my only excuse. I haven't seen Stevie in decades now and I remember him with affection, but I hope he found a better class of friend than he had then. Or, at least, one not quite so easily influenced by the movies.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Still haven't remembered the edit button is now a drop-down from those three dots up there on the right, eh you ol' sucker puncher you?!  ;)

(...that was a great story up there btw, Tom)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Still haven't remembered the edit button is now a drop-down from those three dots up there on the right, eh you ol' sucker puncher you?!  ;)

Can I help it if I was conditioned by the old software? I'd like to sucker punch the guy who created this new version.

depositphotos_8963639-stock-photo-handso

"Oh, you would, eh? Well, join the club. A lot of people around here would like to meet me, I understand."

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

(...that was a great story up there btw, Tom)

I just noticed that next to the 3-dots on the right (where the edit feature is now located),   that for TomJH it says "author".

So far I haven't seen anyone else with such a 'tag'.    I went into edit-profile and I couldn't see where one could set some type of 'tag'. 

27 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I just noticed that next to the 3-dots on the right (where the edit feature is now located),   that for TomJH it says "author".

So far I haven't seen anyone else with such a 'tag'.    I went into edit-profile and I couldn't see where one could set some type of 'tag'. 

If the thread/topic initiator posts again in the same thread/topic, you'll see that tag.  It has nothing to do with your profile.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

If the thread/topic initiator posts again in the same thread/topic, you'll see that tag.  It has nothing to do with your profile.

Ah,  author of the thread\topic.    Thanks.

Was this always there and I just noticed it now?   (or is this part of the new format?).

12 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Ah,  author of the thread\topic.    Thanks.

Was this always there and I just noticed it now?   (or is this part of the new format?).

I don't recall seeing before, so I think it's just part of the software update.

Given this thread's multiple mentions of monster movies as well as its Los Angeles presence, did I overlook mention of horror host SEYMOUR?  If not, that's surprising - especially considering that Quentin Tarantino payed Larry Vincent's culty character homage in last year's ONCE UPON A TIME IN... HOLLYWOOD

554125ca29a975e5225a96d879ca5918.jpgth?id=OIP.t2Zv3nexS0l8iCyOWRjhWwHaEW&pid=Api&P=0&w=273&h=162

15 hours ago, NoShear said:

Given this thread's multiple mentions of monster movies as well as its Los Angeles presence, did I overlook mention of horror host SEYMOUR?  If not, that's surprising - especially considering that Quentin Tarantino payed Larry Vincent's culty character homage in last year's ONCE UPON A TIME IN... HOLLYWOOD

554125ca29a975e5225a96d879ca5918.jpgth?id=OIP.t2Zv3nexS0l8iCyOWRjhWwHaEW&pid=Api&P=0&w=273&h=162

I actually came THIS close to mentioning "Sinister Seymour" in this thread the other day when the talk was of TV horror hosts from our respective youth, fellow SoCal boy. ;)

(...in fact, I even went to YouTube and watched the one lone clip they have of him there)

• Like 1

Okay, this isn't from movies, of course, but the best of the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes cartoons that I saw and loved as a kid still make me laugh. While I have grown away from the Disney Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck cartoons I also saw as a young person, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and the other Warners cartoon characters can still have me in stitches, at times.

Of course the Looney Tunes cartoons, while children can enjoy them, were designed primarily for adults who would watch them in the theatres along with feature films. I think that, along with the brilliance of their animation and vocal artists (Mel Blanc, in particular) makes the best of these gems could up well today. Mickey Mouse may still be the most famous cartoon character in the world but I'll take that immortal "He don't know me very well, do he? Of course you know this means war" rabbit over him any day.

Rabbit-Fire-Bugs-Bunny-Impersonating-Daf

daz2idy-77b647dd-1171-4ede-94ce-fd442599

38ac280e4e6a007f80b84ce0f1828abb.jpg

RV-AI704B_bkrv__P_20121116014343.jpg

• Like 1

Childhood nostalgia? I would say 99%. Even before cable several channels had horror hosts or Dialing for Dollars. We watched the Stooges (and I still do), Tom and Jerry were our Sunday cartoon time with Dad. I still watch and look out for films I saw as a kid. 

• Like 1
On 8/30/2020 at 11:23 AM, Sepiatone said:

Y'know.....

I got more enjoyment out of watching The Three Stooges when I WAS a kid than I ever did past the age of 12 or so.  I haven't bothered with them since. The only nostalgia they hold for me is the same nostalgia I get from the nostalgia of once believing Chinese people all had magical powers. :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

I grew up doing Curly impersonations. There were a lot of "Nyuk, nyuk, nyuks" and "Woo-woo-woos" in my life. It's hard to get that stuff completely out of your system. I later learned, though, that they didn't go over so well on dates.

I did, however, borrow a Groucho line that went over big, "When a woman has dinner with me I expect her to look me in the face. It's the price she has to pay."

• Haha 2

My brother and sister and I still watch the Stooges and do many segments of dialogue from the shorts which somehow fit into our bizarro daily lives.  I was making cookies over at my brother and sister-in-law's house one day and my sister-in-law has a very old mixer. Ancient in fact. So I'm putting everything together and from Heavenly Daze, I say "Now you put the pen in here and load the paper thusly. Be careful or it will overflow". Well, needless to say, we were in stitches.