Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

November Schedule Up! Shelley Winters SOTM

11 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

So why do they continue to overlook Brando? Certainly he has the credentials to be a Star of the Month.

Perhaps they're waiting for the rights to show "The Godfather" so they can do it right. The fact remains that of the 50 actors and actresses selected by the American Film Institute in 1999 as the top screen legends of all-time, Brando is likely the only one with an extensive filmography who's never been a Star of the Month.

See the source image

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Perhaps they're waiting for the rights to show "The Godfather" so they can do it right. The fact remains that of the 50 actors and actresses selected by the American Film Institute in 1999 as the top screen legends of all-time, Brando is likely the only one with an extensive filmography who's never been a Star of the Month.

See the source image

Well as we both know, they can still do a fine month-long retrospective on Brando without THE GODFATHER movie.

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Well as we both know, they can still do a fine month-long retrospective on Brando without THE GODFATHER movie.

True. But if you want to do it right, you have to include "The Godfather" and "Last Tango in Paris."

See the source image

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

True. But if you want to do it right, you have to include "The Godfather" and "Last Tango in Paris."

I think what happens with other stars is they do the SOTM tribute even if it's limited in scope, then if they can get access to more titles later, like say five years later, they repeat the individual as a SOTM to include the "new" offerings. 

This happened with Leslie Howard. Like only six or seven years had passed between his two retrospectives. The second time they had access to a new documentary about Howard which I am sure is what prompted them to do a repeat so soon.

Thus, in Brando's case, they could still honor him even if it's not comprehensive with the option of re-doing his tribute later if they can get the rights to his other films.

In the case of THE GODFATHER, they may never have legal access to it and that is no reason to keep Brando and his fans in limbo.

16 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I think what happens with other stars is they do the SOTM tribute even if it's limited in scope, then if they can get access to more titles later, like say five years later, they repeat the individual as a SOTM to include the "new" offerings. 

This happened with Leslie Howard. Like only six or seven years had passed between his two retrospectives. The second time they had access to a new documentary about Howard which I am sure is what prompted them to do a repeat so soon.

Thus, in Brando's case, they could still honor him even if it's not comprehensive with the option of re-doing his tribute later if they can get the rights to his other films.

In the case of THE GODFATHER, they may never have legal access to it and that is no reason to keep Brando and his fans in limbo.

It probably doesn't help that he wasn't an MGM star and his early films were released by 20th Century Fox.

Julius Caesar (Joseph L Mankiewicz 1953) | another film blog

15 hours ago, jakeem said:

It probably doesn't help that he wasn't an MGM star and his early films were released by 20th Century Fox.

But they've done tributes for other non-MGM stars. 

Some of his movies, though, were done at MGM-- like JULIUS CAESAR, THE TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON and the remake of MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY.

I would imagine all the films they aired for his Summer Under the Stars tribute could be re-used.

Personally my favorite Brando flicks are the lesser known ones-- I love his debut in THE MEN. I love BURN! and I remember going to see DON JUAN DEMARCO at an art house theater when it hit screens and he's wonderful in it.

3 minutes ago, MovieMadness said:

Let me guess, she dies a lot in her movies.

That is true,  and in most cases the audience is clapping.

Even when she is playing a  mother of two children there is a sense of relief for the audience when they know they don't have to listen to her character's  rants.

Filmycks » Love on one hand, hate on the other

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

But they've done tributes for other non-MGM stars. 

Some of his movies, though, were done at MGM-- like THE TEAHOUSE OF THE AUGUST MOON and the remake of MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY.

I would imagine all the films they aired for his Summer Under the Stars tribute could be re-used.

Personally my favorite Brando flicks are the lesser known ones-- I love his debut in THE MEN. I love BURN! and I remember going to see DON JUAN DEMARCO at an art house theater when it hit screens and he's wonderful in it.

I'd also like to see "The Ugly American" (1963), "Morituri" (1965, below with Yul Brynner), "A Countess from Hong Kong" (1967, the last film directed by Sir Charles Chaplin) and "The Night of the Following Day" (1968).

See the source image

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, jakeem said:

I'd also like to see "The Ugly American" (1963), "Morituri" (1965, below with Yul Brynner), "A Countess from Hong Kong" (1967, the last film directed by Sir Charles Chaplin) and "The Night of the Following Day" (1968).

See the source image

I've never seen A COUNTESS FROM HONG KONG and have been curious about it. Supposedly it was an old unused script Chaplin wrote for Paulette Goddard in the late 30s/early 40s. He pulled it out of mothballs in the 60s, and as you say, it became his last motion picture as director.

• Thanks 1

Here are the primetime themes:

1    nancy kwan double feature
2    star of the month shelley winters
3    special theme: women make film
4    lizabeth scott
5    the essentials book - vol. 2
6    spotlight: under the big top
7    essentials: richard lester
8    remake/original
9    star of the month shelley winters
10  special theme: women make film
11   tba
12  leonard maltin's neglected classics
13  spotlight: under the big top
14  essentials: unlikely hideouts
15  michael caine
16  star of the month shelley winters
17  special theme: women make film
18  this was hollywood
19  problem pictures of 1949
20  spotlight: under the big top
21  face the future
22  revolutionary comedies
23  star of the month shelley winters
24  special theme: women make film
25  extended families
26  hitchcock-a-thon
27  spotlight: under the big top
28  essentials: parisian painters
29  cary grant
30  star of the month shelley winters

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

12  leonard maltin's neglected classics

At the moment this is the only night that really intrigues me. 

Hopefully there will be some long lost films making their TCM premieres.  Lost films are my favorite part of TCM programming.

41 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

At the moment this is the only night that really intrigues me. 

Hopefully there will be some long lost films making their TCM premieres.  Lost films are my favorite part of TCM programming.

It's a double feature-- Paramount's rom-com THE GILDED LILY (1935) with Claudette Colbert & Fred MacMurray. And Republic's classic family drama COME NEXT SPRING (1956) with Steve Cochran & Ann Sheridan. 

I am glad to see COME NEXT SPRING on the schedule since I had been disappointed it was not included earlier this year when Ms. Sheridan was Star of the Month.

As you may know, Republic's library is now controlled by Paramount. So if Maltin continues to do these, perhaps he will bring more stuff from Paramount/Republic our way. COME NEXT SPRING will be a TCM premiere.

Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.46.29 PM.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, jakeem said:

See the source image

I believe Morituri was on TCM not that long ago, perhaps when Yul Brynner was SOTM. Brando and Brynner are worthy foils for each other.

• Thanks 1

The Lizabeth Scott line-up had been scheduled on July 28th but was pre-empted for Carl Reiner's memorial tribute.

No idea what the Essentials Book Vol. 2 is about...was there a Vol. 1? I don't remember if there was. Does this mean some classic Essentials wraparounds with Robert Osborne will be replayed?

There are many films this month which I have not seen. For me, the WOW!!!! is on November 8, the double feature of rarely seen Julien Duvivier movies, La tete d'un homme and Un carnet de bal. Un carnet de bal was once a very famous film (TCM has shown the American remake, Lydia, which is generally considered less good), and I was under the impression that it was hard to find and that the negative was not in good shape.

I was expecting Fear to be the Roberto Rossellini/Ingrid Bergman film, La Paura, but it isn't.

In the misleading titles category: Affair with a Stranger, one of the few weak Jean Simmons films, is about a married woman who . . . does not have an affair, with a stranger or anyone else.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Shelly Winters is SOTM, but they're not showing South Sea Sinner (1950)the only film in which Liberace plays her pianist!

s-l300.jpg

shelley-winters-south-sea-sinner-1950-C8

You can almost see Liberace thinking, "Imagine how good I'd look in those fishnet stockings!"

• Haha 2