Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shelley Winters as SOTM November 2020

It is a good choice - but I'd have preferred to see A DOUBLE LIFE (1947) and other films from early in her career than the shock/schlock that followed A PATCH OF BLUE.

8 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

It is a good choice - but I'd have preferred to see A DOUBLE LIFE (1947) and other films from early in her career than the shock/schlock that followed A PATCH OF BLUE.

I agree.    I haven't looked at the line-up yet but I doubt TCM is showing The Great Gatsby (1949),  since I believe there are rights issue with that film.

40 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Well, one aspect of a month-long retrospective is that it shows how the performer's career evolved without sugar-coating things or playing only the "greatest hits."

31 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree.    I haven't looked at the line-up yet but I doubt TCM is showing The Great Gatsby (1949),  since I believe there are rights issue with that film.

The first night seems to focus on the early crime films she made. But they really are not choosing any of her Universal films for the first part of this retrospective. Universal was the studio that launched her as a sex symbol in the late 40s. 

screen

monday the 2nd

the gangster (1947) with barry sullivan
he ran all the way (1951) with john garfield
cry of the city (1948) with victor mature
behave yourself! (1951) with farley granger
i died a thousand times (1955) with jack palance

monday the 9th

lolita (1962) with james mason
a place in the sun (1951) with montgomery clift
a patch of blue (1965) with sidney poitier
harper (1966) with paul newman

monday the 16th

the diary of anne frank (1959) with millie perkins
the big knife (1955) with jack palance
odds against tomorrow (1959) with robert ryan
executive suite (1954) with paul douglas
tennessee champ (1954) with keenan wynn

tuesday the 17th

buona sera mrs. campbell (1968) with gina lollobrigida

monday the 23rd

red river (1948) with montgomery clift
the treasure of pancho villa (1955) with rory calhoun
winchester '73 (1950) with james stewart
the scalphunters (1968) with burt lancaster
my man and i (1952) with ricardo montalban

tuesday the 24th
the young savages (1961) with burt lancaster
enter laughing (1967) with jose ferrer
the chapman report (1962) with jane fonda
wild in the streets (1968) with christopher jones

monday the 30th

the poseidon adventure (1972) with gene hackman
flap (1970) with anthony quinn
what's the matter with helen? (1971) with debbie reynolds
blume in love (1973) with george segal
bloody mama (1970) with robert de niro
cleopatra jones (1973) with tamara dobson

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Shelley has a special place for me, as before I watched classic movies as I do now,  The Poseidon  Adventure was a movie my mom introduced me to in the early 2000 that I'd watch whenever it was on. Mrs Rosen was my favorite character and I remember one morning my mom told me Shelley had died (I'm guessing it was on the morning news) and I dejectedly say "Mrs Rosen?" Of course I'd watched things like Wizard of Oz and such throughout the years, but I think Shelley was my first favorite actresses. Anyway, basically what I'm trying to say, is I'm looking forward to watching many movies of hers, both new and ones I've seen before. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, LKitten16 said:

Shelley has a special place for me, as before I watched classic movies as I do now,  The Poseidon  Adventure was a movie my mom introduced me to in the early 2000 that I'd watch whenever it was on. Mrs Rosen was my favorite character and I remember one morning my mom told me Shelley had died (I'm guessing it was on the morning news) and I dejectedly say "Mrs Rosen?" Of course I'd watched things like Wizard of Oz and such throughout the years, but I think Shelley was my first favorite actresses. Anyway, basically what I'm trying to say, is I'm looking forward to watching many movies of hers, both new and ones I've seen before. 

You have a treat in store for you. Shelley was an actress who spanned eras and genres, so you'll have a lot to choose from. For me, Mrs. Rosen is Mrs. Haze, the mother of Dolores "Lolita" Haze, one of her iconic roles. She was also a witty person and a great raconteur, so you should check out her writing: Shelley: Also Known As Shirley (1980) and Shelley II (1989). As celebrity memoirs go, they're both first class. And please come back here when the movies air and let us know what you think. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, DougieB said:

You have a treat in store for you. Shelley was an actress who spanned eras and genres, so you'll have a lot to choose from. For me, Mrs. Rosen is Mrs. Haze, the mother of Dolores "Lolita" Haze, one of her iconic roles. She was also a witty person and a great raconteur, so you should check out her writing: Shelley: Also Known As Shirley (1980) and Shelley II (1989). As celebrity memoirs go, they're both first class. And please come back here when the movies air and let us know what you think. 

Yes,,  nice line-up of films featuring Shelley Winters.      I do wish TCM had selected a film other than Executive Suite;  I like this film a lot but Shelley is the 3rd or 4th actress featured in this film and to me the Shelley I love so much is mostly wasted;  I.e. the part could have been played by almost any actress,  unlike many of her iconic roles.  AND how many times has TCM showed this film in 2020?     It was on just this week,  a few  weeks before that as part of SUTS,   etc....

If TCM was going to show an ensemble actor film,  I wish they had selected Phone Call from a Stranger;   Come on what is there not to love about a character called Binky Gay! 

PhoneCallStranger.jpg

• Like 2

I am glad they are showing What's the Matter with Helen?  I love it, and I think I first saw it the last time she was SOTM. I am a little disappointed that they aren't showing The Visitor, even though it was kind of a long shot. That there is no Night of the Hunter is a bit of surprise. It is one of my favorite films, and I don't think they've shown it at all this year.

I think the first week will end up being my favorite, but I should really make an attempt to see Lolita. I don't know how I have managed to not see it yet.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Vanessa17 said:

I am glad they are showing What's the Matter with Helen?  I love it, and I think I first saw it the last time she was SOTM. I am a little disappointed that they aren't showing The Visitor, even though it was kind of a long shot. That there is no Night of the Hunter is a bit of surprise. It is one of my favorite films, and I don't think they've shown it at all this year.

I think the first week will end up being my favorite, but I should really make an attempt to see Lolita. I don't know how I have managed to not see it yet.

I agree that THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER (1955) is an essential film on her motion picture resume. It definitely should have been included.

I also feel more of her early Universal noir should have made the cut, along with PHONE CALL FROM A STRANGER (1952) which James mentioned earlier in the thread.

• 4 weeks later...