Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

31 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

On a 2009 Macbook pro, El Capitan version 10.11.6, Firefox browser 77.0.1 (64 bit), I get:

Too big:

too-big.png

Too small:

too-small.png

Just right:

just-right.png

Just right exists in exactly one position.  If I increase or decrease the size of the screen one bit, the search box disappears.  The box is non-functioning.  If you look closely you will see small icons superimposed that call up different pages:  Home, My Activity Streams, Create, and Search. 

This new format is really nice. Thank you for showing it to me.

Because this may be my only chance to ever see it.:o

• Like 1

I'm really ticked off with this upgrade. Previously, if I copied a text post from here to MS Word, it would convert to the Helvetica font. Now  it converts to Segoe UI. I've never even heard of that font. What a disgrace.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

It's still there, just incorporated into a newfangled social media fad thing.  Look for the three dots in the upper right area of your post, and click on that.

It's all part of the "training"

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

On a 2009 Macbook pro, El Capitan version 10.11.6, Firefox browser 77.0.1 (64 bit), I get:

Too big:

Too small:

Just right:

Just right exists in exactly one position.  If I increase or decrease the size of the screen one bit, the search box disappears.  The box is non-functioning.  If you look closely you will see small icons superimposed that call up different pages:  Home, My Activity Streams, Create, and Search. 

On the same computer with Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit) and with Safari Version 9.1.3 (11601.7.8) I get no Search box or other icons at all.

13 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

What do we care what the most  "popular" post is, or how many days the thread is on page 1?  There's something a bit childish and/or egotistical about paying attention to what's "the most popular".     What is this, high school ?

Obviously there's one poster who is thrilled about these changes!

• Sad 1
48 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Why should different browsers make such a difference?

It's another ploy to make us buy, buy, buy or get left behind. The last "upgrade" many people dropped out because they simply could not afford to buy new equipment.

I gotta say as a designer, the gray icons on a black field are ridiculous! No WONDER none of us see them-even after we change the window size.

No one gets the Flash gray bubble on the goofy reaction icons? Geez, if they really wanted to enhance this site, they could have:

1.  made the reaction emojis GIFs
  2.  added an "agree" and "disagree" icon
  3. added to the "reply" formatting menu for all sub forums
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

No, you need to >>narrow<< the window until that appears.  Yes, this time it is the other way around.  😁

I can't see this going over well...

Thanks.  BTW I had to shrink the window to about half the size of my computer screen before the search function appeared.  Almost the size of a phone screen.  Maybe that was the point?

But who wants to shrink their browser screen to half the size of their computer screen?  Not me.  Thanks for the tip though.  I will do that if I want to do a search with this new and (not) improved format!

• Sad 1
19 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

It's another ploy to make us buy, buy, buy or get left behind. The last "upgrade" many people dropped out because they simply could not afford to buy new equipment.

I gotta say as a designer, the gray icons on a black field are ridiculous! No WONDER none of us see them-even after we change the window size.

No one gets the Flash gray bubble on the goofy reaction icons? Geez, if they really wanted to enhance this site, they could have:

3. added to the "reply" formatting menu for all sub forums

I have long wished they had  agree/disagree icons.  Now the closest you can come is using Sad, but does that mean you are sad about the content or the opinion expressed by the poster?

• Thanks 3

One thing I wished they did, to go along with the mentioning of frequent posters at right, rather than just saying "Top Posters in this Topic" is to make it more film-centric by quoting Mantan Moreland as Jeff in King of the Zombies.

Samantha: "You ain't no zombie, zombies can't talk."

Jeff: "Can I hep it cause I'm loquacious?"

So, at the heading of the "Top Posters" section, it could say: "Like Mantan Moreland in King of the Zombies, these posters can't hep it cause they're loquacious!"

kotz41-zombies4b.jpg?w=640

• Haha 1
53 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

On the same computer with Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit) and with Safari Version 9.1.3 (11601.7.8) I get no Search box or other icons at all.

I am using Chrome Version 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit), and everything seems to be there (once I shrink the window).

Correction: it just updated to Version 85.0.4183.83 (Official Build) (64-bit)

43 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Unfortunately, they didn't go for my suggestion; replace the icons with gifs of Tor Johnson "agreeing," "disagreeing," "smiling," "sad," "killing," etc. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The moderator asked me to post a screenshot of threads that do not show the option of Color and Size Font Icons. I donlt know how do do that. Would someone explain in simple terms how I can take a screenshot of one of my posts that has the Options header to show that the Color and Size icons are missing? Thanks so much for the help.

21 minutes ago, Swithin said:

One thing I wished they did, to go along with the mentioning of frequent posters at right, rather than just saying "Top Posters in this Topic" is to make it more film-centric by quoting Mantan Moreland as Jeff in King of the Zombies.

Samantha: "You ain't no zombie, zombies can't talk."

Jeff: "Can I hep it cause I'm loquacious?"

So, at the heading of the "Top Posters" section, it could say: "Like Mantan Moreland in King of the Zombies, these posters can't hep it cause they're loquacious!"

kotz41-zombies4b.jpg?w=640

Thanks for reminding me about this one.  Don't remember where or when I saw, but has been a while.

9 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The moderator asked me to post a screenshot of threads that do not show the option of Color and Size Font Icons. I donlt know how do do that. Would someone explain in simple terms how I can take a screenshot of one of my posts that has the Options header to show that the Color and Size icons are missing? Thanks so much for the help.

You can search on your computer something like 'screenshot'.  It's probably in an application that allows you to view PDFs and such.  On my Macbook it's called Preview.  I take a screenshot, then I upload it to the image hosting site imgbb.  From there I can import the image to a thread with the Other Media function located in the lower right corner of the reply box.

• Thanks 1

On Windows, it's either "Snipping Tool" or "Snip & Sketch".

You could, as one option, just point the moderator to a post on this thread that has examples.  There are a few.

Or, as another option, just tell the moderator respond to a post and narrow their browser window to about half-width and watch those menu options disappear.

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I have long wished they had  agree/disagree icons.  Now the closest you can come is using Sad, but does that mean you are sad about the content or the opinion expressed by the poster?

Or sad that the person felt the need to express a viewpoint that ridicules a fellow poster and divides the community. So sometimes sad means the poster's behavior is sad.

It has come to take on other meanings.

In some ways, reading over the posts in the thread, it seems like people are over-analyzing what is basically a minor batch of changes/upgrades. Meanwhile we have folks in the other threads posting just like they always did as if nothing has happened. Does that put it into perspective...? :) 

I've noticed you have to refresh the screen...or leave the thread and come back into it, for the stats box to be updated. It doesn't just update if you are a top poster that has made a new post.

Something nobody has mentioned thus far is the fact that thread views over 1000 now get the 'K' designation. So it goes from 999 to 1K. And you cannot see that a thread has 1,009 views. It remains at 1K until 1100 when it is updated as 1.1K on the forum.

HYGPowM.png

This is the way the EDIT Tool BAR looks. The Icon For Color and SIZE FONT are missing. This is the way it shows up in this thread and in Games and Trivia.

This is what the moderator has asked for. How do I get the Color and Size icons back? Thanks to everyone for the instructions.

I'm missing these Icons in General Discussions, Games and Trivia, Films and Filmakers, Your Favorites, Classic Film DVD Reviews, TCM Film Festival Forum and now Off Topic Chit Chat and that's really weird because the complete EDIT Toolbar with all the ICONS was  in Off Topic Chit Chat yesterday.

All the Icons in the EDIT Toolbar are showing up in Stickies, TCM Programs, Information, Please, TCM Program Challenge, andTechnical Problems with the Message Board. Why are all the Icons showing up in a few of the forums but not the other ones?

• Confused 1
7 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

HYGPowM.png

This is the way the EDIT Tool BAR looks. The Icon For Color and SIZE FONT are missing. This is the way it shows up in this thread and in Games and Trivia.

this is what the moderator has asked for. How do I get the Color and Size icons back? Thanks to everyone for the instructions.

Looks like you are also missing the "justification" icons (circled) and the "strikethrough" icon (4th icon from the left):

HIXORSs.png

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, scsu1975 said:

Looks like you are also missing the "justification" icons (circled) and the "strikethrough" icon (4th icon from the left):

HIXORSs.png

I know it's missing other icons, but since I only use the color (not very often) but I use the Size icon all the time I only mentioned those. Again, thank you Rich, your instructions really helped. Thanks to slaytonf and txfilmfan too :)

• TCMModerator1 changed the title to Is it me, or is there a new format?