Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

37 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Looks like you are also missing the "justification" icons (circled) and the "strikethrough" icon (4th icon from the left):

HIXORSs.png

I was missing them on Firefox, but now I see I have them.

30 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I was missing them on Firefox, but now I see I have them.

I don't have the justification icons on Chrome, but I do on Safari.

I prefer using Chrome (old habits die hard). I've never found Safari to work as quickly or efficiently as Chrome.

4 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

I'm really ticked off with this upgrade. Previously, if I copied a text post from here to MS Word, it would convert to the Helvetica font. Now  it converts to Segoe UI. I've never even heard of that font. What a disgrace.

At least it didn't change it to Comic Sans 🤮

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

In some ways, reading over the posts in the thread, it seems like people are over-analyzing what is basically a minor batch of changes/upgrades. Meanwhile we have folks in the other threads posting just like they always did as if nothing has happened. Does that put it into perspective...? :) 

Not so minor to those of us who do not like the changes.  I am posting in other threads without mentioning this because this is the place to discuss the changes.  Trying not to clutter up other threads with something not relevant.

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't have the justification icons on Chrome, but I do on Safari.

I prefer using Chrome (old habits die hard). I've never found Safari to work as quickly or efficiently as Chrome.

I feel disadvantaged.  All I have is one choice on my PC.  I think it is Goggle Chrome, but been using it for years so not really sure.  It is Goggle.

4 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Not so minor to those of us who do not like the changes.  I am posting in other threads without mentioning this because this is the place to discuss the changes.  Trying not to clutter up other threads with something not relevant.

I feel disadvantaged.  All I have is one choice on my PC.  I think it is Goggle Chrome, but been using it for years so not really sure.  It is Goggle.

Goggle or Google?

• Haha 1

OK I just went to Off Topics, The Democrats Better Start Praying.... and it came up Full Screen.  So what gives?

Seems that it may be related to number of pages in the thread.  Tried some with just one or two and they come up full screen.

• Confused 1

One thing about having the edit feature up on top now, is that if you have a very long post you need to edit, you may have to scroll up quite a ways before you can fix the errors.

I would kindly prefer the edit button be restored to the lower area, under the post.

18 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Exactly.  Exactly !    (I agree so much I had to say it twice.)

What do we care what the most  "popular" post is, or how many days the thread is on page 1?  (if that's what it is...  I can't even figure it out, nor can I be bothered to try...)  There's something a bit childish and/or egotistical about paying attention to what's "the most popular".     What is this, high school ?

Worse.

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, ElCid said:

OK I just went to Off Topics, The Democrats Better Start Praying.... and it came up Full Screen.  So what gives?

Seems that it may be related to number of pages in the thread.  Tried some with just one or two and they come up full screen.

I believe the split screen starts at 50 posts.

• Thanks 1

It would be nice if a Moderator would come along and extract all the instructional advice posters have provided thus far and perhaps put them in their own forum topic. We all seem to be experiencing different sets of issues but advice on how to fix them is now splattered throughout 11 pages worth of posts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, sagebrush said:

Thanks; that still didn't work for me. 😕

Some other interesting points ( at least from my desktop): I can react/quote to people's posts with Firefox and the forum format looks exactly as it did before the update, but I have no notification or user icons in the "dark area."  On Internet Explorer/Chrome, I can't react/quote to people's posts, the forum format is cluttered but all the user icons are there at the top of the page.

Why should different browsers make such a difference?

Different brands of competing proprietary technology.  It used to be more of an issue (i.e. "This page best viewed with Netscape Navigator").  There are essentially only two browser engines in development today, not including Apple's Safari, not sure if that is still going on.   Chrome and its "Blink" engine - also available as "Chromium", an open source version,  and Firefox (which also has an open source available for further development). 

I don't see this as a good trend that other companies have capitulated and mostly turned over to becoming downstream variants of Chrome, but it is mostly for financial reasons.  Google produces both Chrome (a proprietary browser with many concealed secrets and spyware), and Chromium, an open-source browser supposedly with much of their spyware stripped away.  It is Chromium that other developers are free to use as a base package to develop further things on top of, or strip away as much as they like.

Microsoft stopped developing a browser, now it is just a rebranded variant of Chromium with some other things tacked on.  So did Opera (the original brand, which was sold to the Chinese), Vivaldi (the "newer" Opera, from the founders of Opera - although it really has a hell of a lot of features for a browser), and Brave (a newer privacy-focused browser).

If anything were to happen to Firefox, that would leave us in the situation we were in back in the early 2000s, when Microsoft had a monopoly on browsers.  It is always good to have a viable "plan B" for a core web browser.  Only the technically ignorant would not see this coming and realize this.

So despite some minor differences, about 20 years later much of the way browsers interpret a webpage is consistent.  That is to say you are not comparing obsolete versions to newer versions (I see that from time to time on this forum).

The consistency is mostly due to outside standards committees and anti-trust lawsuits, which helped to defeat Microsoft's "incompatibility wars", warmly referred to as "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish" (the "extend" part is them intentionally adding on proprietary junk to already well functioning software in an effort to redefine things and snuff out the rest of the industry).  Today it is more a case of Google having all the money it needs to do whatever they want.  Hey, they are more powerful than many governments - as are several other tech giants.  That is another topic for another day.

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

It would be nice if a Moderator would come along and extract all the instructional advice posters have provided thus far and perhaps put them in their own forum topic. We all seem to be experiencing different sets of issues but advice on how to fix them is now splattered throughout 11 pages worth of posts.

Yes.  In a read-only format to prevent more clutter.  Only problem is, they are admittedly incompetent in this area.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

All the more incentive to keep threads short and sweet.

Yeah! Exactly! And so IF some people around here wouldn't go off on tangents so darn often, maybe we can keep this thing to a minimum!

(...and which now reminds me of the time I was at this computer store and the sales guy walks up to me and says.....)

2 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Who can't.

You said there's an incentive to keep threads short and sweet. Who's going to regulate that or follow that line of thinking? Especially with all the loquacious folks hanging around the message boards!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

You said there's an incentive to keep threads short and sweet. Who's going to regulate that or follow that line of thinking? Especially with all the loquacious folks hanging around the message boards!

That is their issue.  For some it looks like a personal problem.

• Thanks 1
  • TCMModerator1 changed the title to Is it me, or is there a new format?