Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

5 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

when I posted : " where is the SEARCH function now?" in trouble with mess. board thread,

THIS is the answer I got........

:blink:

TCMModerator1

• Advanced Member
  •  
  •  
  • Administrators
  • team_admin.png
  •  
  • 452 posts

If you wish to continue this discussion, please feel free to join the following thread:

If anything, this thread should have  been moved to the "Problems..." topic.

Seems the moderator got tired of answering the questions.

And for the record, clearing your cache will not solve any formatting issues you may have.

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

You said there's an incentive to keep threads short and sweet. Who's going to regulate that or follow that line of thinking? Especially with all the loquacious folks hanging around the message boards!

One method would be to have a terminal point.  After 90 days, the thread dies.  If there is enough interest, someone will revive it.

I find it amusing that on some threads on Off Topics, the top posters or whatever have not posted in years.

7 minutes ago, ElCid said:

One method would be to have a terminal point.  After 90 days, the thread dies.  If there is enough interest, someone will revive it.

I find it amusing that on some threads on Off Topics, the top posters or whatever have not posted in years.

Well in some cases the author of the thread has passed away. In a few cases, probably, the author was banned.

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Well in some cases the author of the thread has passed away. In a few cases, probably, the author was banned.

I have noticed some threads where the thread was "hijacked" by someone else.  The OP only occasionally posts, but others place a couple of dozen or more posts per day on the thread.

4 minutes ago, ElCid said:

I have noticed some threads where the thread was "hijacked" by someone else.  The OP only occasionally posts, but others place a couple of dozen or more posts per day on the thread.

I guess it depends on how much the thread means to the author.

Just now, TopBilled said:

I guess it depends on how much the thread means to the author.

I have discovered if you contact the moderators and ask them to delete a thread you created, they will do it.  I did this when I decided to take a break from Off Topic for a while.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

when I posted : " where is the SEARCH function now?" in trouble with mess. board thread,

THIS is the answer I got........

:blink:

TCMModerator1

• Advanced Member
  •  
  •  
  • Administrators
  • team_admin.png
  •  
  • 452 posts

If you wish to continue this discussion, please feel free to join the following thread:

We don't want to continue  discussing the problem moderator, tell the webmaster to FIX IT!

Already posted a screenshot.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

After 90 days, the thread dies.  If there is enough interest, someone will revive it.

I find that threads usually die faster than that of their own accord.  The persistence of a thread is a measure of its continuing interest, or the interest of the subject of conversation that has taken it over.

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

If anything, this thread should have  been moved to the "Problems..." topic.

Seems the moderator got tired of answering the questions.

And for the record, clearing your cache will not solve any formatting issues you may have.

BUT just WHAT questions has 'mod' Answered????????

:huh:  :(

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I like coming across threads which feature posts by, or threads started by, our dear departed, like DownGoesFrazier and Fred Dobbs. It heightens the sense of community and shows respect for the history of the Board. And the posts are often interesting. 

• Like 4

I'm guessing this is how the beta testing is done.  They throw out the new format the best they can, because it would be too expensive to do a thorough vetting and debugging for all the browsers and issues.  And as the users yeow when they hit their heads against things, they find out what to fix.  It happened the last time a new format was dumped--I mean introduced.  And there have already been changes, for me at least.  I get the full editing bar at the top of the post box now, and there is the full list of forum topics which I didn't have before.  Not that I ever use either of them.  Except for the italics button.  Still no search box, not that I use that, either.

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

...and which now reminds me of the time I was at this computer store and the sales guy walks up to me and says.....)

"If you read and agree to our Terms and Conditions, I can wait on you"

to which you replied: "Hey, I had a hard drive over here...I was rehearsing with my band, 999 Megabytes--we just can't get a gig".

(notice how I didn't sink to that old 'is that a wireless mouse in your pocket')

-----

yes, the new format stinks...luckily I only use touchscreen devices, so I can expand screens to block out the 'traffic' tripe on the right.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello everyone

We are aware of the issues with the recent changes. TCM will be looking at this, and we will keep you informed. 

In the meantime, please feel free to continue to share your feedback here in this thread, along with screenshots if you are able. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding! 

TCMModerator1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Here's another thing I just found out...if you write something in word pad or note pad in a large, readable font, when you paste it here, it will become the little ohmygodamIgoingblind font that can't be changed...but if you paste a huge headline from an online news source, it will remain huge, unfortunately (I always resize these so they won't take up so much space)

Since the changes are of no benefit to the people who actually use the boards, gotta wonder why...change is not always good...anyone remember 'New Coke'?

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah! Exactly! And so IF some people around here wouldn't go off on tangents so darn often, maybe we can keep this thing to a minimum!

(...and which now reminds me of the time I was at this computer store and the sales guy walks up to me and says.....)

A guy walks into a bar and says "Owwwww!".

49 minutes ago, shutoo said:

Here's another thing I just found out...if you write something in word pad or note pad in a large, readable font, when you paste it here, it will become the little ohmygodamIgoingblind font that can't be changed...but if you paste a huge headline from an online news source, it will remain huge, unfortunately (I always resize these so they won't take up so much space)

Since the changes are of no benefit to the people who actually use the boards, gotta wonder why...change is not always good...anyone remember 'New Coke'?

Formatted text versus plain text.  Plain text is a beautiful thing due to its simplicity and ease of use. 

In the case of your plain text editor, it sounds as if you just have the viewing size set to a larger value.  That size doesn't get saved to the plain text file itself though, nor does it get copied over, as plain text is unformatted.

Once you post plain text into this forum, it becomes formatted text, but is set to a standard font, size, and color.  Unless you go into the formatting toolbar and change the formatting to something else.

If you copy formatted text (as from this forum, or from any website), the formatting will be stripped off when you paste it into your plain text editor.  That is just because the formatting is not supported in a plain text editor.

• Thanks 1

In Japan, they have replaced the impersonal and unhelpful Microsoft error messages with their own Japanese haiku poetry, each with only 17 syllables: five in the first line, seven in the second, five in the third.

Your file was so big.
It might be very useful.
But now it is gone.

The website you seek
Cannot be located, but
Countless more exist.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent and reboot.
Order shall return.

Aborted effort.
Close all that you have worked on.
You ask far too much.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

Stay the patient course.
Of little worth is your ire.
The network is down.

A crash reduces
Your expensive computer
To a simple stone.

You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Out of memory.
We wish to hold the whole sky,
But we never will.

Having been erased,
The document you're seeking
Must now be retyped.

I ate your Web page.
Forgive me; it was tasty
And tart on my tongue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A helicopter was flying around above Seattle when an electrical malfunction disabled all of the aircraft's electronic navigation and communications equipment.

Due to the clouds and haze, the pilot could not determine the helicopter's position.

The pilot saw a tall building, flew toward it, circled, and held up a hand written sign that said " WHERE AM I ? " in large letters.

People in the tall building quickly responded to the aircraft, drew a large sign, and held it in a building window. Their sign said 'YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER.'

The pilot smiled, waved, looked at his map, determined the course to steer to SEATAC airport, and landed safely.

After they were on the ground, the copilot asked the pilot how he had done it.

"I knew it had to be the Microsoft Building, because they gave me a technically correct but completely useless answer."

• Haha 5

After a Beer Festival, in London, all the brewery presidents decided to go out for a beer.

The guy from Corona sits down and says "Hey Señor, I would like the world's best beer, a Corona." The bartender dusts off a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.

The guy from Budweiser says "I'd like the best beer in the world, give me 'The King Of Beers', a Budweiser." The bartender gives him one.

The guy from Coors says "I'd like the only beer made with Rocky Mountain spring water, give me a Coors." He gets it.

The guy from Guiness sits down and says "Give me a Coke." The bartender is a little taken back, but gives him what he ordered.

The other brewery presidents look over at him and ask "Why aren't you drinking a Guiness?" and the Guiness president replies "Well, if you guys aren't drinking beer, neither will I."

• Haha 4
11 hours ago, slaytonf said:

I'm guessing this is how the beta testing is done.  They throw out the new format the best they can, because it would be too expensive to do a thorough vetting and debugging for all the browsers and issues.  And as the users yeow when they hit their heads against things, they find out what to fix.  It happened the last time a new format was dumped--I mean introduced.  And there have already been changes, for me at least.  I get the full editing bar at the top of the post box now, and there is the full list of forum topics which I didn't have before.  Not that I ever use either of them.  Except for the italics button.  Still no search box, not that I use that, either.

Glad you now get the the full editing bar at the top of the post box. I still don't have all the Icons, in the editing bar at the top of the post box. in most of the forums The problem still exists for me. Hopefully it will be fixed.

The TCM Database is not working.

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

The guy from Corona sits down and says "Hey Señor, I would like the world's best beer, a Corona." The bartender dusts off a bottle from the shelf and gives it to him.

I'll bet "Corona" beer is the least popular beer in the world currently! 😉

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TCMModerator1 said:

Hello everyone

We are aware of the issues with the recent changes. TCM will be looking at this, and we will keep you informed. 

In the meantime, please feel free to continue to share your feedback here in this thread, along with screenshots if you are able. 

Thank you for your patience and understanding! 

TCMModerator1

Thank you very much for chiming in and letting us know our helpful feedback is being considered.

• TCMModerator1 changed the title to Is it me, or is there a new format?