Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

1 hour ago, Swithin said:

I miss it already. I took great pride in the fact that I was lead poster in the Svengoolie thread!

svengoolie.jpg

"That's okay, Swithin. You still Da Man, dude!"

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Aw now you'll have to return to bumping post count with one line non answers. (like this)

9 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Hey!  I never thought of that!

WHAT?! You've forgotten "finance" and later to become "DownGoesFrazier" ALREADY, have you slayton???!!!

;)

I'm sorry that they've deleted the lists of all the posters who ever registered for the Board, and posted here, since TCM created the Board. I liked that feature of the Board, it fostered a sense of history and connection with all the film lovers who ever came here, past and present, and the ones to come in the future. I echo Donal McCann's lines (largely from James Joyce's story) at the end of The Dead:

"Think of all those who ever were, back to the start of time. And me, transient as they, flickering out as well into their gray world."

I haven't read any of this thread, but I am noticing now how bad the star on the left is not working. If it works at all, it doesn't really take you to the last read post. And, I hear the audio blip when a notification is received but it is not being recorded or a new post has occurred on the thread you are on at the time. I don't see the benefit so far, just new problems. Maybe they'll just put it back the way it was. :ph34r:

7 hours ago, laffite said:

I haven't read any of this thread, (snipped)I don't see the benefit so far, just new problems. Maybe they'll just put it back the way it was. 

Of course they won't....if you hadn't read the thread then you aren't aware these changes are all part of the evil plan-

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, laffite said:

I haven't read any of this thread, but I am noticing now how bad the star on the left is not working. If it works at all, it doesn't really take you to the last read post. And, I hear the audio blip when a notification is received but it is not being recorded or a new post has occurred on the thread you are on at the time. I don't see the benefit so far, just new problems. Maybe they'll just put it back the way it was. :ph34r:

The problem with the star  is that once you've read that topic and are up-to-date, it doesn't gray out.   It makes it look like you're not up-to-date on that topic.

The only visual indication you get that you've read the topic is that the topic text title goes from bold to regular font.   At that point, the star doesn't do anything because you've already read all the posts on that topic, and there's no unread post to go to.

• Like 1

Is there no longer any manual code for bold, italics, linking, or the like?  If you're on a tablet it's much more irritating to try to highlight the text and then click the proper icon.

I thought I tried that and the old square brackets forum code, but neither worked.

<b>test</b>

[b]test[/b]

<em>test</em>

None of the text winds up bold (well, the last one should be in italics).

14 hours ago, Fedya said:

Is there no longer any manual code for bold, italics, linking, or the like?  If you're on a tablet it's much more irritating to try to highlight the text and then click the proper icon.

I use a PC and it all comes up on a bar as it always has.   Would copy it, but can't.

Yes, I get that bar at the top with all the formatting, but it used to be you could manually type out the code which is more or less HTML but in square brackets instead of greater and less than signs.  As you can see in my above post, doing either HTML or the square brackets has no effect.  You have to take your mouse and highlight the text you want to format, and then click on the appropriate formatting option.  This is a lot tougher when you're trying to highlight text on a tablet.  Yes, on the PC you could highlight the text and select Ctrl+B or Ctrl+I for bold/italic, but again, that option doesn't work on a tablet.

(Or, if you're one of those people who writes out longer posts in a separate text editor.  If anybody uses bold or italics for movie titles in the Programming Challenge, the next one is going to be fun getting all that text to format properly..)

9 hours ago, Fedya said:

Yes, I get that bar at the top with all the formatting, but it used to be you could manually type out the code which is more or less HTML but in square brackets instead of greater and less than signs.  As you can see in my above post, doing either HTML or the square brackets has no effect.  You have to take your mouse and highlight the text you want to format, and then click on the appropriate formatting option.  This is a lot tougher when you're trying to highlight text on a tablet.  Yes, on the PC you could highlight the text and select Ctrl+B or Ctrl+I for bold/italic, but again, that option doesn't work on a tablet.

(Or, if you're one of those people who writes out longer posts in a separate text editor.  If anybody uses bold or italics for movie titles in the Programming Challenge, the next one is going to be fun getting all that text to format properly..)

I haven't tested this for myself, and it would only take me a few seconds to do so (I just don't care to), but if this were true then it might be there to remove extraneous formatting from being copied and pasted in from other websites.  As an alternative, you might try formatting text in MS Word or Libre Office, then copying and pasting into this forum, as that used to work in the past too.

On 9/1/2020 at 7:35 PM, slaytonf said:

One of life's many adversities.

I am also showing an inordinate amount of maximum consternation and adversity in the new location of the EDIT button. Before it was at the bottom. Now you gotta go ALL THE WAY to upper right and then click on EDIT while being forced to traverse the screen with the cursor all over the damn place. All that extra time I'll never get back. It's particularly egregious to make changes with things that may or not be popular, but it is more egregious to find something that was working oh so well and screw it up. Another fine mess they got us into.

:P

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

You used to be able to type ...

[Spoiler]

.... and then everything that followed would be hidden only to be revealed by a toggle.

That function does not seem to be available any longer?

I haven't tested and verified, but...going with the flow...  Same deal as with other tags.  It looks/sounds as if external tags are stripped off, for the sake of posters who indiscriminately copy and paste in a bunch of randomly formatted  junk directly from other websites (this part I agree with). 

The reply box though wouldn't know the difference between something you typed in or something you pasted in from another web page. 
If it's a tag, it's gone. https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-wine-drinker.gif

Now maybe one of the nameless faceless people out there could be sweet-talked into putting a "spoiler" button onto that cutesy little text formatting toolbar that so many people had trouble with.  But you probably wouldn't want to upset that apple cart.  https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I haven't tested and verified, but...going with the flow...  Same deal as with other tags.  It looks/sounds as if external tags are stripped off, for the sake of posters who indiscriminately copy and paste in a bunch of randomly formatted  junk directly from other websites (this part I agree with). 

The reply box though wouldn't know the difference between something you typed in or something you pasted in from another web page. 
If it's a tag, it's gone. https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-wine-drinker.gif

Now maybe one of the nameless faceless people out there could be sweet-talked into putting a "spoiler" button onto that cutesy little text formatting toolbar that so many people had trouble with.  But you probably wouldn't want to upset that apple cart.  https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

It was very simply accomplished before.  You simply had to type this in your post ...

[Spoiler]

If it was working this sentence would be hidden and you wouldn't be able to read it unless you promoted it to be revealed.