Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

6 minutes ago, hamradio said:

I'm always signed in (or I couldn't post)

I don't don't see anything on the left below the TCM Message Boards logos.  I even tried Firefox.

I have the same problem. I did the same thing that you did--

And switching from Chrome to Firefox didn't do any good either.

Plus I don't see anything on the right side either.

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I I think I Know What You Did in Paris,  n'est ce pas? :o

REALLY? Well, the wife and I just walked around a bit in it last October, THAT'S all!

Did just the usual stuff, you know. The Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, strolled down the banks of the Seine. 

(...why?!...what have YOU heard???) 

;)

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

I also can't see where one Sign in and out.  :o

If some posters go missing, we know why.  :(

Well, I know why ONE of 'em isn't gonna be around here anymore, anyway!

(...and it ain't gonna be because of THIS!!!)

LOL

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

This is what it looks like using Chrome (there is no font size selection):

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 7.31.55 PM

And with Safari (where there is a font size selection):

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 7.31.44 PM

I use Chrome and it's rendered just like your Safari screen grab.

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS AND THERE WAS NO REASON TO DO IT.

There probably is a reason to do so.  They buy or lease this software from some provider (they don't write the code themselves).  In order to keep up with the maintenance contracts from the provider, they have to upgrade periodically.  Otherwise, they will not have support for bug fixes.

Software providers don't want to maintain an infinite number of versions of their software, so they force you to upgrade.  Typically a few versions back are supported, but it only goes so far.  You can stay with an older version, but they won't support it, and they won't fix any bugs you might have.

• Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I use Chrome and it's rendered just like your Safari screen grab.

You might try making your browser window wider.  When I narrowed by Chrome browser window, the options on the right side disappeared.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

There probably is a reason to do so.  They buy or lease this software from some provider (they don't write the code themselves).  In order to keep up with the maintenance contracts from the provider, they have to upgrade periodically.  Otherwise, they will not have support for bug fixes.

Software providers don't want to maintain an infinite number of versions of their software, so they force you to upgrade.  Typically a few versions back are supported, but it only goes so far.  You can stay with an older version, but they won't support it, and they won't fix any bugs you might have.

Yup...

See here:

https://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/Screenshot%20from%202020-08-28%2001-52-33.png

Or to elaborate a bit more:

https://invisioncommunity.com/

See that was easy, wasn't it??

1 hour ago, txfilmfan said:

So it sounds like the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing, except in this case, nothing was broken, it was perfectly fine, yet for some reason they decided to fix it anyway.

What you say just convinces me of something I've suspected all along about "upgrades" and "updates" with computer technology ;  99% of the time it's not necessary,  it's just something the web technicians have to do every now and then to make the software providers happy ?  But that brings us to the question of why the software providers want to change everything all the time in the first place.

It's just one of those things that exists for the sake of existing and nothing else.  

Change is good sometimes. It's good when there's some kind of reason to make the change.  But often a change is just an arbitrary action, effected just for the sake of change itself. 

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

So it sounds like the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing, except in this case, nothing was broken, it was perfectly fine, yet for some reason they decided to fix it anyway.

What you say just convinces me of something I've suspected all along about "upgrade" and "updates" with computer technology ;  99% of the time it's not necessary,  it's just something the web technicians have to do every now and then to make the software providers happy ?  But that brings us to the question of why the software providers want to change everything all the time in the first place.

It's just one of those things that exists for the sake of existing and nothing else.  

Change is good sometimes. It's good when there's some kind of reason to make the change.  But often a change is just an arbitrary action, effected just for the sake of change itself. 

They could have left the visible display elements alone, which is the part some are complaining about.  There is also underlying code which has plenty of good enhancements over the old this time.  They could have done with just that, but they also chose to get a bit more into the display elements as well this upgrade.  But they left those damn reaction emojis behind.  Just stupid as hell...  :rolleyes:  (my opinion, and opinions are like airhoses...everyone has one)

Isn't everyone glad I don't volunteer my opinions on here more often?

I think the version that was in use during the late 2000's the best to date.  It was easy to read, use and no nonsense.  Still have a couple of old snapshots.  I carried over the old My Documents from the Win 98 era.

DRAFT.jpg

Highlander.jpg

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, skimpole said:

Where did the search function go.  You could conveniently search within topics. 

The very top right center of the dark Message Board header, you can barely see the shadow of the magnifying glass.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, hamradio said:

The very top right center of the dark Message Board header, you can barely see the shadow of the magnifying glass. You will need a computer monitor to see it.

That could really use some improvement, if there is indeed anything there at all.  I tried clicking all over that banner at the top, and it is just not there for me.  This is with Firefox 80 - the latest and greatest of their happy horsecrap - and even with add-ons temporarily disabled.  My Chrome derivative of choice is no better (actually it looks exactly the same there).

So honestly I can't imagine what you might be seeing, other than some residual gack that didn't quite get purged or finished (either way), to make it through to a modern browser.

2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

You might try making your browser window wider.  When I narrowed by Chrome browser window, the options on the right side disappeared.

No. That didn't work. I made it as wide as it will go. I still do not get the font size selections on Chrome.

quick youtube multi-video test
(Tony Burrows songs - one of the greatest session singers ever)

First Class - Beach Baby

The Flower Pot Men - Let's Go To San Francisco

Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows

Brotherhood Of Man - United We Stand

This one cuts in after a brief introduction, to test Youtube's "copy URL at current time" function

So far so good.

• TCMModerator1 changed the title to Is it me, or is there a new format?