Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

Now uploaded pictures need to come from HTTPS sites, and no longer support HTTP sites.  On my own website, that was a simple setting to change.  Those who use a picture site that doesn't use HTTPS yet may not show the embedded pictures on here, just links.

Also there is a setting in the profile manager to either show your activity or hide your activity.  That is a setting that the site remembers, an improvement over the checkbox on the logon dialog to "log in anonymously".

6 hours ago, TopBilled said:

But what if someone accidentally deleted a post they didn't mean to post? How would they restore it? Or would they permanently lose the text after they've saved the changes without any way of getting it back?

It's all about self control - a lost art.  Not once has any of this ever crossed my mind.

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Been gone for a while. I see this thread now also has all that dumb stuff over on the right side crowding out actual content. I guess it does have something to do with how popular or large a thread gets.

I don't think there is anything about that in particular, that I can find any joy in or be happy about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, hamradio said:

I'm always signed in (or I couldn't post)

I don't don't see anything on the left below the TCM Message Boards logos.  I even tried Firefox.

Same for me; if I get really close to my screen and look from above it, I can faintly see the 3 options on the far right of the black area, but nothing on the left side at all.

OK- so I signed in with Internet Explorer, and that info on the bottom of the left is there, but It won't allow me the option to post ( yes, I'm signed in and I posted this through Firefox.)

I also tried signing in on Chrome, and the profile info is also visible there and I have the posting option ( I posted this on Chrome.)

This is indeed getting interesting...

El Yukko. Again. Seems like this has been optimized for phone viewing since the majority of people have their faces stuck to their phones. Thankfully more people are drifting back to larger monitors with all this zooming.

My "reply" box editing looks the same, except there's now there's an indent pointing towards our avatar to indicate it's me replying, like a cartoon bubble. Dumb.

And when I run my cursor over the reaction icons, big gray bubbles obstruct the pictures (the trophy/LOL/Confused/Sad) Obviously a Flash animation glitch. Or maybe the onus is upon me to upgrade my Flash. I'm an adult, I don't need bouncing icons.

And I agree-who the hex cares about post counts? No one. This forum is more about quality content than numbers. 

For any of you using FaceBook, that went through a major change yesterday too. You now have to sift through GIANT pictures first, to get to the content. This was definitely changed for phone optimization.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

For those asking questions, It might be helpful if you tell us how you are viewing the site: Cell phone or tablet or lap top or desktop or whatever.

I use a desktop. And things seem to be in order, so far.

I use a PC with a CRT monitor.  Incidentally, my quote function is located in same place as always. Lower left of the post - next to a +.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, it's a bit different. But not too-too different.

It's a whole lot different.

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

ElCid:

"Is there a way to get the thread to come up in full screen?  Right now I am in full screen, but when I go to some threads, it goes back to 1/2 for topic and 1/2 for BS. 

Sorry, but I DON'T CARE who posts the most on a thread or what the most popular posts are. "

giphy.gif

Just seems to happen when it wants to.  Right now this thread on 1/2 screen for me and the Off Topic ones I looked at this morning were all on 1/2 screen.

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Been gone for a while. I see this thread now also has all that dumb stuff over on the right side crowding out actual content. I guess it does have something to do with how popular or large a thread gets.

Noticed on one very active Off Topic thread that it went all the way back to a post that was most popular in 2017.

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Usually what I do, if I feel it's a post I need to delete...I will edit the post and just change the content to something quick and simple, typically posting a photo related to a classic film that is on topic with the thread. 

I suppose a person could private message the moderator or report their own post, asking it to be removed. But that may not happen immediately.

How do you private message a moderator?

Also, I am no longer able to private message other members, even when I go to their information site.

8 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

There probably is a reason to do so.  They buy or lease this software from some provider (they don't write the code themselves).  In order to keep up with the maintenance contracts from the provider, they have to upgrade periodically.  Otherwise, they will not have support for bug fixes.

Software providers don't want to maintain an infinite number of versions of their software, so they force you to upgrade.  Typically a few versions back are supported, but it only goes so far.  You can stay with an older version, but they won't support it, and they won't fix any bugs you might have.

It would help if the moderators would have put in a post that this is what is going on and why.  And an individual NEW thread, not buried in some other thread or section.

Regardless, still don't believe it was necessary.

• Like 1

I've been checking out the way this looks on my iPhone. On my phone, I also see the large gray area off to the right hand side. 

One difference on my phone is that instead of the stats being included in the upper right corner of the screen like they are on my laptop, the stats appear just after the OP's initial post.

In both cases, you cannot click on the most popular posts. So what's the point of mentioning the most popular posts if nobody can tap on them and go directly to them? Instead, you have to go back through the entire thread to find them by date? In a thread where there are literally thousands of posts going back five years or more, one would have to spend quite a bit of time trying to find and read those popular posts.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Were you able to do this before the recent upgrade?

Actually not that I was aware of.  If I wanted to contact a moderator, I would have to use the report this post option.

2 minutes ago, ElCid said:

Actually not that I was aware of.  If I wanted to contact a moderator, I would have to use the report this post option.

Yes, that's one way. Or you can create a new thread in the Technical Issues forum. Under Problems with the Message Boards.

https://forums.tcm.com/forum/74-problems-with-the-message-boards/

Also you can also click on the Moderator's profile, if you find one of his/her posts. And from there, you should be able to find an option to send a private message.

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, that's one way. Or you can create a new thread in the Technical Issues forum. Under Problems with the Message Boards.

https://forums.tcm.com/forum/74-problems-with-the-message-boards/

Also you can also click on the Moderator's profile, if you find one of his/her posts. And from there, you should be able to find an option to send a private message.

"Also you can also click on the Moderator's profile, if you find one of his/her posts. And from there, you should be able to find an option to send a private message."

Thanks, but that does not work if I want to send a private message to another member.  Used to, but has not in last couple of weeks.  Seldom used it.

I do like that the Topics page now seems to automatically update, something it didn't do for me in the old format. Before I would have to refresh or briefly go into a previously read topic before I could see the newest version of the Topics page.

Just now, ElCid said:

"Also you can also click on the Moderator's profile, if you find one of his/her posts. And from there, you should be able to find an option to send a private message."

Thanks, but that does not work if I want to send a private message to another member.  Used to, but has not in last couple of weeks.  Seldom used it.

Hmmm. Don't know what to tell you on that. Perhaps someone else has the answer...

34 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Lorna, how did you make the print larger?

honestly, i didn't!

I think maybe you all are just conditioned to SEE THE PRINT IN MY POSTS AS LARGER THAN IT IS FROM MY HABIT OF USING ALL CAPS, BOLD, AND LARGE FONT.

However, I am on my computer right now, and i can clearly see the options for colored font and enlarging or shrinking the font saize, so maybe it is something you can do on a computer desktop and not a telephone screen.

(i was looking at the site using my phone this morning and i could not find the edit functions either)

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

honestly, i didn't!

I think maybe you all are just conditioned to SEE THE PRINT IN MY POSTS AS LARGER THAN IT in fact IS FROM MY [some would say annoying] HABIT OF USING ALL CAPS, BOLD, AND LARGE FONTs in my posts.

However, I am on my computer right now, and i can clearly see the options for colored font and enlarging or shrinking the font size, so maybe it is something you can do on a computer desktop and not a telephone screen.

(i was looking at the site using my phone this morning and i could not find the edit functions either)

I'm not having trouble finding the edit functions, but I always post on my laptop, not my phone (I do sometimes read posts on my phone). 

However, I noticed the shading is much lighter to indicate functions like bold and italics are active. So light that I have to squint to be sure. This will be annoying as I am in the habit of putting movie titles in bold.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS AND THERE WAS NO REASON TO DO IT.

Their IT people have to earn their salaries. Would be better put towards renting more films. They just like to make our lives more miserable and change things around every 4 or 5 years. :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TCMModerator1 changed the title to Is it me, or is there a new format?