Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it me, or is there a new format?

8 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

So it sounds like the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing, except in this case, nothing was broken, it was perfectly fine, yet for some reason they decided to fix it anyway.

What you say just convinces me of something I've suspected all along about "upgrades" and "updates" with computer technology ;  99% of the time it's not necessary,  it's just something the web technicians have to do every now and then to make the software providers happy ?  But that brings us to the question of why the software providers want to change everything all the time in the first place.

It's just one of those things that exists for the sake of existing and nothing else.  

Change is good sometimes. It's good when there's some kind of reason to make the change.  But often a change is just an arbitrary action, effected just for the sake of change itself. 

They have to earn their salaries. What I RESENT we weren't even NOTIFIED or even given any input!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Gotta say I think it's kind'a cool that IF you post a whole lot of stuff in a thread, your name now appears over there on the right.

Uh-huh, it's like havin' your "15 minutes of fame" any ol' time you WANT!!!

Well, just as long as you post a whole lot of stuff, anyway.

(...okay, actually, I think this sucks and can't see any reason for it either...MUCH preferred the old format and where posts in threads spread the entire length of the screen...at least on my laptop anyway)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

honestly, i didn't!

I think maybe you all are just conditioned to SEE THE PRINT IN MY POSTS AS LARGER THAN IT IS FROM MY HABIT OF USING ALL CAPS, BOLD, AND LARGE FONT.

However, I am on my computer right now, and i can clearly see the options for colored font and enlarging or shrinking the font saize, so maybe it is something you can do on a computer desktop and not a telephone screen.

(i was looking at the site using my phone this morning and i could not find the edit functions either)

Thanks, but I don't think I have the Color or Font size option anymore. I have Bold, Italiac, Underline, Link, Quotes, Insert Remove Bullet List, Insert Remove Numbers and the last one is Preview. T^he Color icon and the Font size icon are not showing. I had those options before this "update" I also have a desktop. Anyone know how I can get those options back?

The Popular Days statistic is one that amuses me (slightly). Like do we care if February 2, 2011 was a day that a lot of posts were made in an ancient thread?

It's fascinating but somewhat useless data.

• Thanks 2
52 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks, but I don't think I have the Color or Font size option anymore. I have Bold, Italiac, Underline, Link, Quotes, Insert Remove Bullet List, Insert Remove Numbers and the last one is Preview. T^he Color icon and the Font size icon are not showing. I had those options before this "update" I also have a desktop. Anyone know how I can get those options back?

Maybe try doing THIS while repeating the line...

giphy.gif

"There's no format like the old format, and I wanna go back there!"

Hey, just a suggestion here, lavender. I'm no computer expert, ya know!  ;)

(...and if this works, take me back there with you, 'cause like I said, I much preferred when thread contents ran the length of the screen and sans all that needless stuff now over there on the right...and even though those two editing options you say you've lost are still working with my laptop here, and as you've probably noticed with the words I put in Dorothy's mouth up there being larger and in red)

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Maybe try doing THIS while repeating the line...

giphy.gif

"There's no format like the old format, and I wanna go back there!"

Hey, just a suggestion here, lavender. I'm no computer expert, ya know!  ;)

(...and if this works, take me back there with you, 'cause like I said, I much preferred when thread contents ran the length of the screen and sans all that needless stuff now over there on the right...and even though those two editing options you say you've lost are still working with my laptop here, and as you've probably noticed with the words I put in Dorothy's mouth up there being larger and in red)

Lucky for you! this was weird, when I posted all the way down  the page in the Questions about the site, those options showed up on my computer BUT not when I'm on the other threads like gen discussions or games and trivia. Sure, if I can go back I'll take you with me LOL

This new format is all just a reminder by the IT people that they have control and we don't. Therefore we can lump it or leave it and, come a year from now or so, we'll have to go through it again.

Like many others here I see little use in knowing who had the largest number of posts in a thread or the most popular ones taking up so much of the computer screen. It's useless information.

On the other hand, should this posting become the most popular one on this thread I would like to see it up there.

depositphotos_8963639-stock-photo-handso

"Hi, everybody, I changed the format. Be nice to me or I might decide to do it again."

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, TomJH said:

This new format is all just a reminder by the IT people that they have control and we don't. Therefore we can lump it or leave it and, come a year from now or so, we'll have to go through it again.

Like many others here I see little use in knowing who had the largest number of posts in a thread or the most popular ones taking up so much of the computer screen. It's useless information.

On the other hand, should this posting become the most popular one on this thread I would like to see it up there.

depositphotos_8963639-stock-photo-handso

"Hi, everybody, I just changed the format. Be nice to me or I might decide to do it again."

I just tried to edit my original post only to make a double posting of it. Since the problem can't possibly lie with me, THIS NEW FORMAT SUCKS!!!

• Haha 3
9 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I just tried to edit my original post only to make a double posting of it. Since the problem can't possibly lie with me, THIS NEW FORMAT SUCKS!!!

geek-dad-2011.jpg

"He thinks he's smart."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

They have to earn their salaries. What I RESENT we weren't even NOTIFIED or even given any input!

The people who run this website remind me of my parents.

They would make crucial decisions about my life and my brother's life without ever asking for our input or informing us in advance.

Sometimes we found out about stuff from teachers or other kids at school about what our parents were up to--

In terms of their participation in school projects or what they had "volunteered" us to do for participation in school projects.LOL

As parents they felt that we were only an addendum to them and they had absolute control over us.

And this situation is similar because Americans feel that when you don't pay for something,

then you don't have any rights over the kind of service that you're going to get.

C'est la vie.:)

• Thanks 1
18 hours ago, hamradio said:

Where are the Private Messages, Members Reacted / quoted Icons?

Screen snapshot, can barely see the Unread Content / Create New / Search

tcm.png

In case others are looking for it, on my desktop computer the faint magnifying glass icon on the far right for the search function goes away if I make the window wider.  It shows back up for a narrower window.

Of course, this may change in the future as things get tweaked...

(Thanks to hamradio for the example picture.)

I don't think the webmasters/tech people are doing this to exert "control" per se. I think they feel they are adding useful new features and enhancing overall design and experience.

I bet the folks at TCM reading this thread are finding some of the reactions amusing.

Though I do agree some advance notification or chance to offer suggestions would have been nice.

As I've said before in other threads, it's their show and we're just special guests. 

To paraphrase something Janis Paige said in her Television Academy Foundation interview, "it's a privilege" to be here and interact like this each day.

42 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

The people who run this website remind me of my parents.

They would make crucial decisions about my life and my brother's life without ever asking for our input or informing us in advance.

Sometimes we found out about stuff from teachers or other kids at school about what our parents were up to--

In terms of their participation in school projects or what they had "volunteered" us to do for participation in school projects.LOL

As parents they felt that we were only an addendum to them and they had absolute control over us.

And this situation is similar because Americans feel that when you don't pay for something,

then you don't have any rights over the kind of service that you're going to get.

C'est la vie.:)

Yeah, but look on the bright side here, Princess!

(...maybe if it wasn't for your mother saying she wanted you to become the next Eleanor Powell, you might have never learned how to dance at all?!!!)  ;)

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Does the ignore feature still work?

On second thought, no  sense in replying since I have almost everyone on ignore anyway.

Tho

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I don't think the webmasters/tech people are doing this to exert "control" per se. I think they feel they are adding useful new features and enhancing overall design and experience.

I bet the folks at TCM reading this thread are finding some of the reactions amusing.

Though I do agree some advance notification or chance to offer suggestions would have been nice.

As I've said before in other threads, it's their show and we're just special guests. 

To paraphrase something Janis Paige said in her Television Academy Foundation interview, "it's a privilege" to be here and interact like this each day.

If TCM wants to lose members, found the perfect way. :wacko:

8 minutes ago, hamradio said:

If TCM wants to lose members, found the perfect way. :wacko:

That old take your business elsewhere chestnut...seriously? :) 

I see this as a positive sign that TCM is still investing in the website and not planning to do away with it. I think usage has been down in recent years. More people use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram now to post about TCM and its programming than they did five years ago...when this site was really busy/active.

Dargo--

Thanks for the comment.

I wasn't too sure where it was because I can't see any kind of icons on my posts and I can't see any notifications.

I just saw your name Flash before me-- but I wasn't too sure where you were. LOL

Trying to find my way on this website reminds me of somebody in a burning building-- you're familiar with the outlay, but you really can't see where you're going because of all the smoke.

6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but look on the bright side here, Princess!

(...maybe if it wasn't for your mother saying she wanted you become the next Eleanor Powell, you might have never learned how to dance at all?!!!)  ;)

8 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Dargo--

Thanks for the comment.

I wasn't too sure where it was because I can't see any kind of icons on my posts and I can't see any notifications.

I just saw your name Flash before me-- but I wasn't too sure where you were. LOL

Trying to find my way on this website reminds me of somebody in a burning building-- you're familiar with the outlay, but you really can't see where you're going because of all the smoke.

Oh yeah, I remember that movie!

(...it took a while for McQueen and Newman to work out the billing for that one, didn't it)  

• TCMModerator1 changed the title to Is it me, or is there a new format?